Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Apparently they are claiming that the return was too low to get significant results. Sounds rather fishy to me, as this has never happened before. It could still be true, though.

If so, I think it will even make less of a difference. If the voters are generally not as interested in the award as in previous years, I seriously doubt they would bother to change their vote. Not sure if CR's hat trick would be enough to change anyone's made up mind either anyway. As DonAndres said, if this will have any consequence, it will probably be some journalists switching from Ribery to CR.

I'm intrigued to know whether CR still plans to boycott the event though...

If they decided to extend the voting because of low turn out, it is quite amazing and unbelievable. Why the low turn out? Are people losing interest in this award because it has been going to Messi consistently? And perhaps of those people who voted, the majority of their votes still went to Messi, and FIFA tried to "spice things up" after seeing CR7's performance yesterday, they thought by extending the voting and allowing people to change their votes, CR7 will get more votes?

FIFA better explain their decision and rationale in details, otherwise this whole thing just smacks scandal and corruption.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I dont see how is that a cheat. FIFA is not forcing anyone to change their votes, its up to them. It was silly to begin with that voting for best player ends 1,5 months before end of said year.

So what's the rationale behind the decision to extend the voting, conveniently announced/leaked after CR7's hattrick?

And if it is really due to low turn out, they should have just allowed those who haven't voted to vote, but not changing their votes after certain events occurred.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I know I sound like a sour grape, but I am glad that Messi will most likely not win it this year.

Whoever the winner is, CR7 or Ribery, his achievement will forever be marred by the many questions and criticism surrounding this fishy, muddy and scandalous decision and everything behind it.

Leo10

Journalists might favor Ronaldo and Ribery but the players and coaches will lean towards Messi.

The journalists are too full of themselves, players prefer the likeable Messi and coaches know where the real quality is at. :pep:

Definitely yet another clumsy move from Fifa, it would indeed be interesting to see the votes before the rule change, just to see if this is pure incompetence or if there are interested parties

coura

Banned
The voting period should only start on January 1st. Period.
The fucker has scored 24 goals in Internation games: 14 for madrid and 10 for Portugal. Has 1-2 games in CL to break Messi record of 25. Do not like.

He is a threat to the 50 goals in La Liga record and the 82 season record in 2011-2012. Do not like.

barcanuck

Credit where credit is due to Ronaldo. Our wishes of seeing Ibra in the WC over Ronaldo were not fulfilled. Tristiano is playing with his back to the wall as he feels he wants to make a point to FIFA how good he is after Blatter dissed him. 4 goals in 2 playoff games (all his countries goals) is pretty impressive. The form he is in is the best of his career it must be said.

Sezmic

You guys need to stop the hate on the best player in the world right now. Period. Be thankful that you get to watch the two possibly best players ever compete against each other in the same league and enjoy it while it lasts. Players like Ronaldo and Messi are special and will not be around again ever.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You guys need to stop the hate on the best player in the world right now. Period. Be thankful that you get to watch the two possibly best players ever compete against each other in the same league and enjoy it while it lasts. Players like Ronaldo and Messi are special and will not be around again ever.

CR7 is the best player in the world right now? He had a heck of a few months, yes. Best player? No.

ricknattery

Ronaldo can only compete with Messi in the goals department, he is inferior in everything else and football is much more than goals, there is a reason Maradona is considered the best and not Thomas Muller

Sezmic

Ronaldo can only compete with Messi in the goals department, he is inferior in everything else and football is much more than goals, there is a reason Maradona is considered the best and not Thomas Muller

soo buthurt...
brb >
-pace
-heading
-goals
-power
-attitude
-both feet are sick
-strong
-stamina
I could go on

BerkeleyBernie

Ronaldo epitomizes the football player as pure athlete. If one is of the mind that football is solely about scoring goals, winning games, being stronger, faster, hardier- one can't argue that Ronaldo shouldn't be one's top pick.

But football is not just a sport. It's also poetry. We watch and play to satisfy the soul, not just to quench a lust for winning.

Ronaldo the Athlete: 10
Ronaldo the Poet: 0

As a spectator, I find Ronaldo utterly boring. Football to me is the Xavis, Messis, Iniestas, Ibras, Sneijders, Pirlos, Riquelmes, Gutis, Ronaldinhos. It's the players we watch with eager anticipation for the surprising unexpected magical moments we know are coming- how did he do that!? Trickery, vision, mischievousness, fluidity. They are Magicians who evoke Wonder. Ronaldo may evoke Amazement - what an excellent machine - but never Wonder. Ronaldo is the Dudley Do-Right who strides into the room and attracts a bevy of vapid gym bunnies. The Magicians are the unkempt guys who amble into the party unnoticed but walk out with drop dead gorgeous bombshells (smiling seductively at them) on their arms- how did he get her!?

There is no mystery to Ronaldo, it's quite simple- good genes and good training. Clearly the man works hard to make the most of what he has, and is brilliant at it. But these others are more complex, other-worldly, inexplicable. Those of us who admire the mystery will always choose the Mozarts over the Salieris.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
Ronaldo is undeniably great. But he just doesn't captivate me like Messi does. Before I really got into the sport and threw my hat in with anyone I watched all the top teams. Until I got to Barcelona that is.... Literally 5 minutes later la pulga pulled off a signature run and chip and stunned me. I was hooked after that. I just had to see what he would do next , and the rest is history. I wasn't even really into football at the time and Messi blew me away. He's what really made me appreciate the beautiful game and showed me things I never thought possible in the sport. Ronaldo is great...but he doesn't have half the magic that Messi has. We have seen time and time again that Messi is superior. This little injury slump changes nothing and people will come back to reality soon enough.

Home of Barca Fans