Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

suckabov

Lemon curry?
More plausible than FIFAlona or UEFAlona or whatever.

I think we should start whining. Maybe they'll fall for that as well and start helping Barca.

How ironic... after all the bitching and whining about Fifa supposedly helping Messi win the Ballon d'or... they're actually helping Ronaldo.

Apparently they are claiming that the return was too low to get significant results. Sounds rather fishy to me, as this has never happened before. It could still be true, though.

If so, I think it will even make less of a difference. If the voters are generally not as interested in the award as in previous years, I seriously doubt they would bother to change their vote. Not sure if CR's hat trick would be enough to change anyone's made up mind either anyway. As DonAndres said, if this will have any consequence, it will probably be some journalists switching from Ribery to CR.

I'm intrigued to know whether CR still plans to boycott the event though...

Caps

Apparently they are claiming that the return was too low to get significant results. Sounds rather fishy to me, as this has never happened before. It could still be true, though.

If so, I think it will even make less of a difference. If the voters are generally not as interested in the award as in previous years, I seriously doubt they would bother to change their vote. Not sure if CR's hat trick would be enough to change anyone's made up mind either anyway. As DonAndres said, if this will have any consequence, it will probably be some journalists switching from Ribery to CR.

Ronaldo was third favourite after Messi then Ribery, (in some bookies same odds as Franck, or only slightly higher/lower)- after the voting was reopened he is now odds on favourite. 1/2

This is insane. In my long, long time as a coach and manager I can tell you, professional footballers are just as easily awed and influenced by flair and stats, and are as likely to fail to see more subtle quality. In training I'd see players flick the ball, do tricks, speed past players, put away all the goals, while passing poorly, having a 50-50 touch, being average with control/dribbling, losing the ball a lot, not being able to be creative from deeper etc and their teammates fawned over them as if they were the sh*t. Of course I had to do the same to keep confidence high and the goals coming, but I never thought these guys were the best players on their teams- simply the most useful or valuable in terms of goals. But time after time players themselves are so easily drawn in buy the flair and stats. So yeah, I think votes will change.

I'm actually still in shock FIFA have even done this. What an absolute disgrace.

Turson

Fifa already knew that CR7 wasn't gonna win it, but in light of Messi's injury and Ronaldo's performance against Sweden and taking his NT to Brazil, Fifa was gonna face a very awkward situation so.. they decided to fix the vote (a.k.a reopen voting) and pass it to Ronaldo. Can you imagine if Ronaldo lost the Ballon dOr this year???

Anyway congrats to Ronaldo and forever let his fans always remember that he only won it because Messi got injured for half the year otherwise he would never had a chance!

You know, posts like this are pathetic. Even the greatest payer can be out of form, even if he wasnt injured. You cant really tell what would happen.

Butthurtness in this thread is unbelievable.

Yugi

only if Messi would win it, there would be so much crying it would be unbelievable, I hope CR attends the ceremony and Ribery/Messi wins it and I want to have one camera pointed at CRons face, that will be epic

F

Flavia

Doubt it now :p
He'll be there and act as if he never claimed fifa cheated. Has ribery said anything about it? He's the one more hurt by all this.

Whether it makes a big difference or not (and I don't think the difference will be HUGE), it's still fucking ridiculous. And I have a feeling that the Ballon d'or's gonna be close this time, so a few extra votes could make a difference...

Last edited:

Turson

Well actually, FIFA never cheated until now that is.

I dont see how is that a cheat. FIFA is not forcing anyone to change their votes, its up to them. It was silly to begin with that voting for best player ends 1,5 months before end of said year.

Caps

I dont see how is that a cheat. FIFA is not forcing anyone to change their votes, its up to them. It was silly to begin with that voting for best player ends 1,5 months before end of said year.

My issue is that whoever now wins will have done so with a different set of standards and rules as previous players. This is simply not ok. Especially since it happened in the middle of the proceedings.

F

Flavia

I bet you'd think differently if this was done to benefit another player.

Yannick03

The cheating lies in the fact that this is the first time ever they've done that. Why now, exactly the day after Ronaldo's hattrick ? Why not last year after the Betis game. This benefits only one player and that is Ronaldo. Fifa is trying to show that they didn't favour anyone by favouring Ronaldo now. That is plain cheating...

Caps

Turson I agree with you about it being silly that votes are 2 months before the year is out. But then you declare a rule change or longer vote period before a new season/year starts- you don't change the rules after it's already underway. It's like when FIFA randomly decided after the 2010WC qualifying group stages that the playoffs would be seeded. That was also a disgrace. Teams played under a certain idea of how things would go and what their chances would be in certain situations etc- and right in the middle of the qualifying process they were told- actually we changed shizz.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Even marca writing about how this will benefit CR and harm other contenders, especially Ribery, Ibra and Messi. The press is more or less collectively criticising FIFA now, not particularly for favouring CR, but for mishandling the whole situation. Some claim FIFA should publish who has voted so far to back up their claim.

Home of Barca Fans