Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Asylum15

I wanted to weigh in with something in this Ronaldo ''declining'' discussion.

In my experience, when people talk about him being the best in the world, better than Messi, best free kick taker, best this, best that, I believe you will find a HUGE majority are young, no surprise, ages of possibly 18-24. These young 'voices' are often the same people who see Sport Bible make a post about Messi, and feel perturbed, so must comment under that Ronaldo is better, or state some stats, or w/e. (Messi fans also do this on Ronaldo posts.)

However, when you actually talk to some of these people, you realise that what they base their 'opinions' off, is shallow, empty and gives them no real ground to stand on. These young people don't sit and watch 90 minutes every week, 2 games a week, international games. They get 'highlights' from games on their mobiles, their laptops etc. They always only see the 'best' in their heroes, and then consequently the media inflammation helps keep these delusions in check. I personally, have watched Barca/Real for the last 6 years without missing a match (this includes Copa games), and where we played at the same time, I had 2 screens open. I base my opinion of Cristiano/Messi on this, plus I have played football 'professionally' in my own country for a couple of years, and I absolutely am fanatical about it. This doesn't mean I know everything but the point I'm making is, the MAJORITY of people who voice opinions on Cristiano/Messi are people who don't have the backbone to argue, because they simply base everything they see and hear on short snippets of brilliance (edited to be so), or stats rather than 90 minutes of unbiased gameplay, consistently. Here's a perfect example of how modern football fans rate players. Player A scores 60 goals in a season, Player B scores 30 goals, Player A is automatically better. Wtf?

When you consider 90 minutes, I, like many on this forum can see that Cristiano is not even in the same bracket as Lionel Messi, never mind Suarez currently. It is a great shame that Cristiano will win the Balon d'Or but for those who KNOW football, Messi will always be superior, long after both retire.

Cristiano has been declining for a while now as a 'complete' footballer. I am not deluded, I know he's an amazing goalscorer, but the way people overhype aspects of his game is truly eye wateringly painful. He's not even been Madrid's best player in the last 12 months.

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I wanted to weigh in with something in this Ronaldo ''declining'' discussion.

In my experience, when people talk about him being the best in the world, better than Messi, best free kick taker, best this, best that, I believe you will find a HUGE majority are young, no surprise, ages of possibly 18-24. These young 'voices' are often the same people who see Sport Bible make a post about Messi, and feel perturbed, so must comment under that Ronaldo is better, or state some stats, or w/e. (Messi fans also do this on Ronaldo posts.)

However, when you actually talk to some of these people, you realise that what they base their 'opinions' off, is shallow, empty and gives them no real ground to stand on. These young people don't sit and watch 90 minutes every week, 2 games a week, international games. They get 'highlights' from games on their mobiles, their laptops etc. They always only see the 'best' in their heroes, and then consequently the media inflammation helps keep these delusions in check. I personally, have watched Barca/Real for the last 6 years without missing a match (this includes Copa games), and where we played at the same time, I had 2 screens open. I base my opinion of Cristiano/Messi on this, plus I have played football 'professionally' in my own country for a couple of years, and I absolutely am fanatical about it. This doesn't mean I know everything but the point I'm making is, the MAJORITY of people who voice opinions on Cristiano/Messi are people who don't have the backbone to argue, because they simply base everything they see and hear on short snippets of brilliance (edited to be so), or stats rather than 90 minutes of unbiased gameplay, consistently. Here's a perfect example of how modern football fans rate players. Player A scores 60 goals in a season, Player B scores 30 goals, Player A is automatically better. Wtf?

When you consider 90 minutes, I, like many on this forum can see that Cristiano is not even in the same bracket as Lionel Messi, never mind Suarez currently. It is a great shame that Cristiano will win the Balon d'Or but for those who KNOW football, Messi will always be superior, long after both retire.

Cristiano has been declining for a while now as a 'complete' footballer. I am not deluded, I know he's an amazing goalscorer, but the way people overhype aspects of his game is truly eye wateringly painful. He's not even been Madrid's best player in the last 12 months.

Ronaldo is the best player

BarcaOG

Banned
I don't know, I wouldn't write CR off so quickly. A couple of years ago I wrote a post on this thread about his imminent decline. He still managed to hit 50+ goals that season, and the following two or three. If there is something that sets CR apart from other players it is his fitness, his sheer longevity. Nothing would make me happier than for his goal well to dry up, but I am not counting on it. I fully expect him to hit doubles, maybe even a hattrick, in the games following Dortmund.

raskolnikov

Ronaldo has great positioning that is what gets him goals but his speed will decline and he will get injured more often. If there is someone who can overachieve and strectch his career into his late 30's its him. But his ego will be a problem. There will come a time where his presense will be a burden on Real (think Roomey at United now. Lets see if he is willing to step back or just move to US then.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I don't know, I wouldn't write CR off so quickly. A couple of years ago I wrote a post on this thread about his imminent decline. He still managed to hit 50+ goals that season, and the following two or three. If there is something that sets CR apart from other players it is his fitness, his sheer longevity. Nothing would make me happier than for his goal well to dry up, but I am not counting on it. I fully expect him to hit doubles, maybe even a hattrick, in the games following Dortmund.

There is no way CR will still be producing the same numbers he is now in three years time. Its when you get older that the injuries start to hit you harder, perfect example is Puyol. Puyol was a fitness freak but still even he had problems. I agree with Asylum overall with Ronaldo though. When you look at his overall impact on the game, its marginal outside of the 2-3 chances he gets a game. The thing that I think is truly WC about him right now is his ability to position himself and finish ruthlessly. Outside of that, he is an ordinary player outside of the box and on set pieces and FKs, which he usually gets from diving. Very, very rarely do you really see him carve out a chance all on his own through guile, skill or ingenuity. At least in his United days, he'd beat people 1-v-1 and if he still did the type of things he did with them in some degree now, I'd understand the argument for him a bit more. But very rarely is it just pure brilliance from him during the run of play.

Also, CR is so fucking reliant on good players who can feed him balls and do his dirty defensive work for him, its sad. On a team of ordinary players, Ronaldo would have no possession and would look ordinary with the rest of his team while Messi could make ordinary players look world class with some of the things he does. Saddest part is he's usually concerned with celebrating with himself than with his teammates, particularly when they do so much for him.

barcafan161

With how ronaldo gets into positions to score he will continue to score plenty of goals going forward. He is 31 so it's crazy to think he wouldn't decline at his current age. As long as he still scores goals Madrid won't see a problem with having him in the side.

No doubt though when their transfer ban does end thats when they will look to bring in another striker. As their midfield is pretty much set for a while.

RMU ReBorn

With how ronaldo gets into positions to score he will continue to score plenty of goals going forward. He is 31 so it's crazy to think he wouldn't decline at his current age. As long as he still scores goals Madrid won't see a problem with having him in the side.

No doubt though when their transfer ban does end thats when they will look to bring in another striker. As their midfield is pretty much set for a while.
Modric is 31 already

BarçaBarça

He does that all the time, yet nothing happens.

I was a bit angry about this last season, when he did about 5 off-the-ball kicks in a small period of time. But when 'the best referee in England' and 6 refs in total doesn't do anything about such things, I give up. Even the handball was overlooked. Why should he stop? But maybe he doesn't know that it is illegal, nobody ever tell him.

Hardy

I don't see any decline, he's the same Ronaldo of the last 2-3 years, 3 goal in 5 games with not exactly easy opponents. Will score 50 goals (at least) again.

Home of Barca Fans