Cr150

Andresito

Staff member
I don't think Cristiano is the most likeable guy out there and he has the sort of personality which you either love or you simply hate. There's a distinct lack of objectivity when discussing him. I am possibly the only poster on this forum who has praised him and criticised him. All the others are just hating on him or fanboying over him. And I do that despite having a generally positive opinion on Cris.
Nah CR isn't enough of a cunt for people to dismiss his abilities. Even Suarez doesn't have that baggage when comparing him to other CFs.

Could actually argue CR's popularity is thanks to his antics, the SIU, cockiness, his celebrations etc. Not going to say he's overrated but a lot of his followers probably like him because of his looks and style primarily. It's logical that kids fall for CR at early age but change their tune as they grow and mature because they realize who's actually the better player. Think that was the case with Mbappe no?

Imagine CR's prime skills with Messi's personality, how popular would he be?
Messi with his (lack of?) personality has an enormous amount of followers without really doing much to improve it outside the pitch. Says a lot.

Temptation

idk about R9, don't think I've ever heard him say a bad word about CR7. Maybe R9 likes Messi more because of his playstyle.

With Henry, maybe as he was a rival of CR7 at both Arsenal and Barca, it is understandable.

You're not the only poster who is objective about CR7 as I and some other members in this forum are objective about CR7 too :valverde:
Never seen you utter a single positive word regarding CR7. :lol:

Temptation

Nah CR isn't enough of a cunt for people to dismiss his abilities. Even Suarez doesn't have that baggage when comparing him to other CFs.

Could actually argue CR's popularity is thanks to his antics, the SIU, cockiness, his celebrations etc. Not going to say he's overrated but a lot of his followers probably like him because of his looks and style primarily. It's logical that kids fall for CR at early age but change their tune as they grow and mature because they realize who's actually the better player. Think that was the case with Mbappe no?

Imagine CR's prime skills with Messi's personality, how popular would he be?
Messi with his (lack of?) personality has an enormous amount of followers without really doing much to improve it outside the pitch. Says a lot.
Messi's personality suits him and many of Messi's fans love him for that. The media always covers Messi in a positive light as compared to Ronaldo. The Football people seem to love Messi.

I never said Ronaldo is underrated due to his personality. Everyone knows how good he is but some people(like you for example) will never say a positive thing about him because they hate him as a person. See how many Tennis fans cope and deny Djokovic's greatness because they dislike his personality.

Messi's personality won't suit Ronaldo at all so it's kinda impossible to imagine that. Ronaldo is very marketable because apart from straight men, he appeals to women because of how he looks and his metrosexual styling(has a bit of a gay look) makes him popular amongst the LGBT community; gay people seem to love CR7. Most of Messi's appeal is due to his game but he also has that humble nice guy thing going which appeals to the masses. Messi's appeal is that he looks ordinary like the guy next door but plays like a genius. The magician/alien who doesn't even need to train or work out: that's the brand image that sells. Messi has a distinct lack of charisma and terrible communication skills though which top athletes like CR7, Federer and Jordan have in spades. Hence, even though Messi is a better player, Ronaldo is more popular amongst the general audience.

But our conversation isn't about the general audience. It's about the Football people. Like Thierry Henry and some other pros sneer at Ronaldo and have zero energy or admiration talking about him. Well known media outlets diss him for anything he does. It's kinda obvious at this point........

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
An overwhelming majority of former greats prefer Messi over CR7. Not because of his personality, but because they know he's simply better. I mean just look at Zidane after he resigned as RM's manager and how he glows up when talking about Messi even though he obviously loves CR7 too.
Don't think R9 or Henry have anything against CR7 or dislike him in particular. It's just Rio waffling as usual. Thought he'd stop after the Garnacho family shut him down for lying.

The media doesn't really cover Messi in a positive light on purpose either. It's just that there's rarely anything negative to report about Messi as he's not an unstable person like CR7 can be and have been. You don't see Messi pouting and being pissed when a team mate scores himself instead of passing the ball to him nor do you really see him try to steal a goal and claim it's his lol.

It's not like you see Messi and his family go on a rant on social media like CR7 and his family either.

The negative coverage about CR7 is brought on by himself due to his own insecurities.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'll also say this.

Both Messi and Cristiano played in the same country together for a decade and no matter how you spin it around, the Madrid press is the most influential in Spain.
Marca and AS are the two biggest sportspapers in Spain by far with Marca even being responsible for the Pichichi trophy. Mundo Deportivo/Sport are nowhere close.

And who did get more negative coverage? Messi.

It's only when Cristiano left Real Madrid that Marca & AS for the most part stopped giving a shit about protecting him anymore so his tax fraud cases which were hardly publicized like Messi's, started getting way more traction and attention.

Temptation

Not sure where you are getting this from. A lot of the Argentinian players praise him for his leadership and his pre-match speeches and will fight to the death for him so he's doing something right in terms of charisma and communication skills.
They just won 2 international trophies. Ofcourse, they'll praise everything related to Messi. They love him(rightly so).

He showed good leadership in the World Cup. But that was like 15 years into his career. Maybe he's a good leader now and communicating well with his teammates but the point stands. Didn't see him show any fighting spirit under adversity for most of his career. He was so used to dominating every game with the best club side ever that he found himself out of place when things got tough with the National Team for instance. He literally panic-retired at the first sign of adversity! The reason was his immense privilege.

He's a shy awkward man on camera. Even Antonella won't claim that he's charismatic. He doesn't do many interviews and public appearances outside Football and can't speak a word of English which is definitely a factor in terms of marketibility outside the hispanic world.

Most of Messi's popularity comes from his pure Footballing talent.

soul24rage

They just won 2 international trophies. Ofcourse, they'll praise everything related to Messi. They love him(rightly so). Even before they won the Copa America, they were praising him a lot, especially the pre-match speech that he gave vs Brazil in the Copa America final.

He showed good leadership in the World Cup. But that was like 15 years into his career. Maybe he's a good leader now and communicating well with his teammates but the point stands. Didn't see him show any fighting spirit under adversity for most of his career. He was so used to dominating every game with the best club side ever that he found himself out of place when things got tough with the National Team for instance. He literally panic-retired at the first sign of adversity! The reason was his immense privilege. Different topic points here, but the last sentence is not true. He's been compared to Maradona ever since 2006 and journalist criticized him every time for not delivering like Maradona did. When he announced his retirement, this was not his first sign of adversity.

He's a shy awkward man on camera. Even Antonella won't claim that he's charismatic. He doesn't do many interviews and public appearances outside Football and can't speak a word of English which is definitely a factor in terms of marketibility outside the hispanic world. It's similar to if he learned to play just as well with his right foot. Imagine if he had spoken English fluently, his popularity would be off the roof. He can learn to market himself better, but I never got the sense that he cared about it too much (ironically, this probably factors in why he is popular). Just because he doesn't do much interviews and what not does not mean he isn't charismatic or have terrible communication skills.

Most of Messi's popularity comes from his pure Footballing talent. Agreed.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I won't be bringing my violin out for Ronaldo. The media has been incredibly biased in his favour for pretty much all his career bar the Saudi stint.

The Messi Vs Ronaldo 'debate' they sold us. They kept asking the question even though every non Man United footballer would answer Messi. It was obvious to anyone with any knowledge of the game that Messi was stratospheres clear very early on. 2009 was the defining year. 2011 rubber stamped it.

If anyone has been done dirty by the media, it's the Argentine. A GOAT debate where one does not deserve to be in the conversation, while the other is The Undisputed GOAT by far.

Temptation

Soul, I totally respect Messi being a reserved guy and avoiding interviews. Good for him. He doesn't need to. No Footballer needs to do this. Messi is arguably the best Footballer ever and his career speaks for itself. Maybe he just likes to stay out of the limelight.

Maybe he's a good leader now and maybe you find him exceptionally charismatic but we'll have to agree to disagree on the charisma part. I think he has zilch charisma and nobody really knows what Messi is like behind the scenes.

I think Messi used to be a terrible leader due to his immense privilege, meek personality and lack of adverse experiences. But I have been impressed and surprised by his leadership for Scaloni's Argentina. I think he's grown into a very good leader for Argentina so kudos to him for that. The European disasters with Barcelona post 2015 and his repeated failures with the NT definitely hardened him.

soul24rage

Soul, I totally respect Messi being a reserved guy and avoiding interviews. Good for him. He doesn't need to. No Footballer needs to do this. Messi is arguably the best Footballer ever and his career speaks for itself. Maybe he just likes to stay out of the limelight.

Maybe he's a good leader now and maybe you find him exceptionally charismatic but we'll have to agree to disagree on the charisma part. I think he has zilch charisma and nobody really knows what Messi is like behind the scenes.

I think Messi used to be a terrible leader due to his immense privilege, meek personality and lack of adverse experiences. But I have been impressed and surprised by his leadership for Scaloni's Argentina. I think he's grown into a very good leader for Argentina so kudos to him for that. The European disasters with Barcelona post 2015 and his repeated failures with the NT definitely hardened him.

Agreed that nobody knows how charismatic he is as we don't know the bloke. This applies not only to him but to all the other footballers as well.

Agreed that he learned how to be a leader. From the outside perspective, he's not a natural leader like a Maradona or a Keane so it did took a while for him to become the leader that he is today. There were points where I criticized him for his lack of leadership, but he certainly grew a lot, which not a lot of people give credit to.

KingLeo10

Too much essaying about in this thread. Objectively, the GOAT clears this lad.

2 WC finals, 1 WC win >>>>>>> group stage/ R of 16 merchant

3-4 CL < 5 CL

4 Copa finals, 1 win v Brazil in Brazil > 2 Euro finals, 1 win (that he didn’t even play in)

10 LL (most of them H2H) >> 5 big league titles

8 Ballon >> 5

6 European golden boots >> 4

1200 G + A > 1150 G + A in 150 less games

Andresito

Staff member
Looks like he had another stinker vs Slovenia?

Martinez should go for Leao, Ramos, Bernardo front three if he wants to win any games.

Andresito

Staff member
yada yada
It's crazy how you try to downplay Messi so much.

Like, who cares about how Messi acts behind the scenes? I'm pretty sure he's an incredibly friendly guy to have in your team and those who speak about him always say how incredibly 'normal' he is despite the fact that he's the GOAT on the pitch.

Different players lead in different ways. If you have a teammate you adore you'll fight to the death for him even if he's not the most vocal in the squad. I'm sure that whenever Messi speaks, the rest of the squad stays quiet and listens.

You're grasping at straws to try and find negatives for Messi, at this point it's gone off the pitch, that he doesn't have any charisma. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

But the fact remains he's the most successful football player of all time in terms of stats, eye test and trophies. If he has bad hair style or sense of style then who cares, well apparently some guy in India does.

Home of Barca Fans