Copa del Rey 2017/18

Neymessi

I don't care if RM care about copa or not (although I think they do not care just look at their lineup) but what I surely don't care much about is them getting eliminated. Sure its fun to see them crash but if they win the CL, will it matter much that they at least didn't win the copa too?

Ritchie

I don't care if RM care about copa or not (although I think they do not care just look at their lineup) but what I surely don't care much about is them getting eliminated. Sure its fun to see them crash but if they win the CL, will it matter much that they at least didn't win the copa too?

Madrid won't care if they finish 10th and went out the Copa Del Ray in round 1 by a village team if they won the CL. That's how they measure a good season. If they don't win CL then they expect a league title and would ideally win both like last season.

They only take copa seriously if it's a Classico final but they don't take it seriously enough to get to the final.

Devils

Their entire fanbase and media are absolutely livid today.

Zidane got cocky and thought the 1-0 win in the first leg was 'job done' and he could field a secondary team in the second leg to see it out. It is Leganes after all.

If he (and Real) didn't care about the CDR, he wouldn't have been making panic subs in the second half like bringing on Modric and Carvajal.

This was a huge backfire for them and a historic embarrassment.

The narrative that they don't care makes no sense to me.

JamDav1982

Real would take it seriously at semi final stage but not before. Barca use up too much energy in January on the Copa.

Real save themselves for CL.

Nah Real took it serious.

Look at Zidane, the players and the press.

You are just another one that does nothing but moan and wanted Messi to leave.

JamDav1982

Pathetic attemps by JamDav to portray me and few others as Barca haters and Real Madrid fans. Good luck with that! "Sound angry".:lol: I had a good laugh at Real Madrid last night, but nothing shocking, they haven't reached the final of Copa in years and people here are celebrating like it is the biggest failure in their history. To my knowledge Zinedine Zidane is still their manager and Real Madrid are favorites to win Champions League, so I won't rest until they are knocked out of CL and I advice you to do the same.

Real are not favourites for CL and it is irrelevant to them being knocked out in a cup they wanted to go through in.

Ritchie

Of course Madrid care about the Copa. They celebrated it like they won the treble in 2011.

They take it seriously if they reach the final and especially if it's a Classico. Plus they hadn't won it for about 20 years in 2011 and that was a big win for them after the 5-0 humiliation.

They play second string teams until the semis because if they go out they aren't that bothered. It's all about the CL with them and they want to keep players fresh for that. Penaldo hasn't even played in the Copa this season.

They won't be happy today because they lost at home to Leganes when they've already lost the league. Their season hinges on CL. If they lost to PSG then the Copa would have been a bum consolation prize. It was for Barca last season too.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

They take it seriously if they reach the final and especially if it's a Classico. Plus they hadn't won it for about 20 years in 2011 and that was a big win for them after the 5-0 humiliation.

They play second string teams until the semis because if they go out they aren't that bothered. It's all about the CL with them.

They won't be happy today because they lost at home to Leganes when they've already lost the league. Their season hinges on CL. If they lost to PSG then the Copa would have been a bum consolation prize. It was for Barca last season too.

You are making things up and Real wanted to go through and to win it whether they dont always play full strength team or not.

They are bothered. You must not have watched how Zidane, players and fans were last night or media today.

It would be basically another two games for them this season and would barely affect the CL.

You are grouping and comparing the copa/CL too much to try and justify them getting knocked out.

Ritchie

Nah Real took it serious.

Look at Zidane, the players and the press.

You are just another one that does nothing but moan and wanted Messi to leave.

That serious that Ronaldo hasn't even featured in it at all and he plays every minute in league and CL.

They rest the first team in the Copa to keep them fresh for the CL. Yes had thy gone through they'd have took it more serious in the semis.

Devils

Zidane admitted in his post-match interview that his job was at risk at this point.

Some people on here have this strange fascination with always trying to justify Madrid's actions/results as if they have some sort of master plan in place for every season...i.e. all of their transfer policy is genius, they don't care about certain competitions, saving themselves for CL etc.

When it reality they just fucked up big this season with transfers and are playing shit football.

But let's keep believing that this is all a part of their master plan.

JamDav1982

That serious that Ronaldo hasn't even featured in it at all and he plays every minute in league and CL.

They rest the first team in the Copa to keep them fresh for the CL. Yes had thy gone through they'd have took it more serious in the semis.

Ronaldo didnt play as they should be beating likes of Leganes when 1-0 up in return leg at home.

You have clean made up about them playing second string until semi finals as I said.

Previous 5 seasons.

2012/13 - Strongest line up..Ronaldo etc played in QF v Valencia.
2013/14 - Ronaldo played vs Espanyol in QF along with many first team players.
2014/15 - Went out in last 16 v Atletico with their strongest line up in 2nd leg.
2015/16 - Eliminated for breaking the rules.
2016/17 - Eliminated in QF away to Celta with their strongest line up.

Horatio

You're welcome
To be fair Zidane did little wrong with not fielding his strongest 11. They beat Leganes away 0-1. No need to think they wouldn't finish the job at home.
Had he fielded a stronger team and they won 5-0 people would complain why he wasted the players on such a fixture.

Edit: Jamdav beat me to the punch.

serghei

Frankly I prefer to go after all trophies each season and win what we can win, be it a treble, a double, or 'just' La Liga. For me all titles are important, and I have many great memories about Copa games.

Liga, CL, and Copa are all valuable. Copa del Rey is very important in Spain. I remember the final on Camp Nou when we went out in 2010, Sevilla vs Atletico. Absolute incredible atmosphere.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Frankly I prefer to go after all trophies each season and win what we can win, be it a treble, a double, or 'just' La Liga. For me all titles are important, and I have many great memories about Copa games.

Liga, CL, and Copa are all valuable. Copa del Rey is very important in Spain. I remember the final on Camp Nou when we went out in 2010, Sevilla vs Atletico. Absolute incredible atmosphere.

But you don't value them equally.

Home of Barca Fans