Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

cro-man

If lenglet doesnt stop to improve it will be next to impossible to bench him. Some defending he did today was simply worldclass. Knowing they might sign de ligt does seem to motivate him even more . Underrated guy....

Havesaks

This guy is nothing less than absolute class. I still rate Titis profile higher and more fitting to de ligts.

If titis goes, either lenglet og de ligt or both need to improve their "attacking" contribution. But i dont think either one of them will play those killer passer through the lines and make raids throug the lines like Titi does (and Pique). Maybe de ligt. Todibo has the profile to do it, but he will probably no0t be a a starter here.

Jakabor

If lenglet doesnt stop to improve it will be next to impossible to bench him. Some defending he did today was simply worldclass. Knowing they might sign de ligt does seem to motivate him even more . Underrated guy....

De Ligt is a RCB. Lenglet is a LCB. They won't directly compete for a spot.

Pique is the one who has to keep up his insanely good level recently. Pique should be even more motivated.

Jakabor

Easily one of the best defenders in the world.

Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti and possibly De Ligt for next season.

Yeah, we as Barca fans are VERY spoiled.

God Serena

Umtiti was already seeing his performance dip before the injury while all that Man United BS was going on. At this point... he can leave. Lenglet right now is on a level Umtiti hasn't reached for us yet, even at his height.

Havesaks

Umtiti was already seeing his performance dip before the injury while all that Man United BS was going on. At this point... he can leave. Lenglet right now is on a level Umtiti hasn't reached for us yet, even at his height.

Thats just not true. His first season Umtiti was one of our best performing players and with no GOAT-Pique at his side. I would say top 5 best CB in the world. He was difintely better than Pique, and its easier for a >CB to play alongside this version of Pique. The following half season he was a beast on another level and probably the best in the world. A level above Lenglet has been for most of the time here. Performances like tonight he had on a weekly basis. And then United-started and then his injury, in the second half of his second season here.
And thats just level wise.

Considering their pretty different profiles, his lack of ability on the ball (raids and killer passes through the lines) isnt important because pIque provides that for now, but will as he is now be enough with de ligt on his side? We dont know yet. Umtiti has a rare profile and more fitting for barca style, at least one of the cb's should have such a profile (pique for now) in barca.

Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti and possibly De Ligt for next season.

As things stand now, with Griezmann being the most rumoured forward, its more likely:

Pique, Lenglet, de ligt, todibo and possibly umtiti.

serghei

I agree. For me, Umtiti is way more prone to errors and lapses of concentration. Both are comparable on the ball. I don't see Umtiti being a better defender than Lenglet in this form.

tacticvarium

I agree 2. What's the main priority for a defender?
Being calm, focused and awareness of position, space and where opponent players are.
Lenglet is certainly more superior in this respect and a better defender overall.
Being a good passer is always secondary even for Barça CBs and Lenglet doesn't even lag behind in that aspect as well.

Joan

Umtiti is better on the ball, but Lenglet doesn't struggle either. In fact, he's got an eye for a long pass which can open space. I do think Umtiti is more aggressive and offers aspects others don't. We should see them together if Umtiti's fully fit.

xXKonan

I noted in the chat that he's a better defender in the box than Umtiti is.

His positioning and reading in the game in the box to intercept, make blocks and head balls away is superior to those than Umtiti's. Umtiti I consider a good High line defender at his best, he knew how to cover wide areas and often positioned himself nicely, but in the box I felt he was really inconsitent and often made some mistakes and seemed to have some concetration issues.

Lenglet isn't perfect yet but as a pure defender, I think he may indeed have more potential than Umtiti. Lenglet's ability to learn things quickly is truly something which is one of the big reasons why he's doing so well now compared to at the start of the season.

Havesaks

I noted in the chat that he's a better defender in the box than Umtiti is.

His positioning and reading in the game in the box to intercept, make blocks and head balls away is superior to those than Umtiti's. Umtiti I consider a good High line defender at his best, he knew how to cover wide areas and often positioned himself nicely, but in the box I felt he was really inconsitent and often made some mistakes and seemed to have some concetration issues.

Lenglet isn't perfect yet but as a pure defender, I think he may indeed have more potential than Umtiti. Lenglet's ability to learn things quickly is truly something which is one of the big reasons why he's doing so well now compared to at the start of the season.

good reading, i agree, umtiti is still the one with more potential imo.

People are "presen biased".

Home of Barca Fans