Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

KingLeo10

with de ligt we could have one of the best defensive lines of last 10 years in europe. not a thing usually associated with barca.

piquebauer, lenglet, umtiti, de ligt.

xXKonan

good reading, i agree, umtiti is still the one with more potential imo.

People are "presen biased".
Just sucks that Umtiti knee is probably screwed long term.

Both Lenglet and Umtiti are just two different style of players IMO. Lenglet though reminds me of Mascherano quite a bit. Good long balls from the back and not afraid of tackling and his blocks are also so good. Would love for him to end up being a taller and possibly more refined version of El Jefecito.

Havesaks

Just sucks that Umtiti knee is probably screwed long term.

Both Lenglet and Umtiti are just two different style of players IMO. Lenglet though reminds me of Mascherano quite a bit. Good long balls from the back and not afraid of tackling and his blocks are also so good. Would love for him to end up being a taller and possibly more refined version of El Jefecito.

Yes, it might be that he won't be the same player as we knew him, but we won't know until later on

Isn't he really more like a Rio Ferdinand type of defender? I didnt watch football that much back then, but iirc he is the closest i can think of. Yes, the high ball passes are similar to Maschs tho, but i never liked them, and don't think to be effective, not like Umtiis killer passes through the lines. Masch's tackling was different wasn't it? , Masch's played mostly in a high line and he made those last seconds throwing all his body into it, intercepting the ball and play it to other players.

Lenglets main type traits/strengths are: dominance in air and positioning. And Mascherano was basically pretty bad in both. He made up for it by his last second tackles and die hard mentality. Mascheranos strengths/traits: leadership, last second running back tackles/interceptions. Lenglet has neither one or the other.

Tbh I think the difference between Umtiti profile and lenglet profile is as big as Lenglets and mascheranos.

Last edited:

serghei

I agree with [MENTION=19222]xXKonan[/MENTION]

Lenglet holds up extremely well to crosses in his area. I'm impressed how well he commands his zone and how precise his clearings are. He is a great zonal defender in the box. Pretty great at absorbing pressure too. He is the most exposed I feel when we play a high line and he has to travel long distances to cover the wings. He can be beaten more easily in 1 vs 1 when he doesn't have a teammate very close and is forced wide. But I'd say most CBs are exposed when pulled very wide against fast wingers or forwards.

FC433

The ideal scenario would be winning the treble or at least the double and saying goodbye to both Pique and Rakitic.

Havesaks

The ideal scenario would be winning the treble or at least the double and saying goodbye to both Pique and Rakitic.

Say goodbye to Pique? He is the leader of the team on the pitch, he plays as good as never before imo - ofc we should make full use of his last two seasons here??? De ligt will also profit from watching pique.

Rakitic i may agree on, but thats only if we can get 40m+ and get rabiot in return to replace him.

FC433

^
I agree with you, but I do not believe that we can keep all of our current 3 CBs and MDL for one season let alone two.

Would you rather keep Pique for two seasons or Umtiti for 7 seasons?

While I understand that both CL and Umtiti play on the left side, I still believe that both could also play just as well on the right side.

Havesaks

^
I agree with you, but I do not believe that we can keep all of our current 3 CBs and MDL for one season let alone two.

While I understand that both CL and Umtiti play on the left side, I still believe that both could also play just as well on the right side.

^

Ah okay, thats how you ment it.

Well, we really don't know that much about Umtitis injury, and my bet neither does club nor player. Umtiti will be fine staying, i now i would, thats the best for his knee anyway. Lenglet will certainly also want to stay with Umtitis situation. Pique is Pique, he will go when his contract runs out. He needs to play as long as he shows same motivation he has done this year. Then we have de Ligt, who apparently is ready to play second fiddle to Pique (media talk).

So if umtiti is fit
LCB: Umtiti 40 % Lenglet 60 %
RCB: Pique 65-70 % De ligt 30 %

All players would be fine with that.

The season after that, and Piques last one:
Pique 65 % De ligt 35 %
Lenglet 50 % Umtiti 50 %.

The season after that
LCB: Lenglet 70 % Titi 30 %
RCB: Ligt 65 % Titi 35 %

If a player gets 65-70% of the playing time, thats quiet a lot.

Todibo Shit mintues.

And thats only if Titis won't get injured, lenglet probably won't, he is unbreakable steal. Maybe Titi will only be ready to play games 70 % of the season, and 0,7*0,7 = 0,49 game time. 1,51 left. Lenglet plays 0,7, Ligt plays 0,7 and todibo 0,11 as a Cb.
If titi will be a medium injury prone player = he would be fine staying as a close third choice, also due to his different profile meaning he can still be a starter in big games if manager wants ball playing CB.
If he is vermaelen he would be fine being a 3/4 choice.

I really don't see reason to get rid off Pique, especially since his wage/performance is pretty low imo, and we won't get any money if we sell him. Because he would then go to the states. I really disagree with you on selling Pique. I would rather take the gamble and sell Umtiti for 70m then. (if titi won't accept, but i think he will)

Porque

Thing is we still need to see if Lenglet follow up this season at the same level. It is not unusual for CBs to have one fantastic season then follow it up with a mediocre one. Next season is perfect to keep both Umtiti and Lenglet to see if Lenglet maintains/increases his level and if Umtiti returns.

Then there is Pique's age and outside football interests (remember he had a poor first half to the season) and de Ligt's adaption to the team.

4 CBs isn't too much. We started the season with 4 CBs (Vermaelen, Umtiti, Pique, Lenglet) and added Murillo this year.

tacticvarium

Except that Vermaelen and Umtiti were rarely available throughout the season..
Having 4 CBs isn't too much.
Having 4 good CBs is too much since regular rotation is usually not necessary in this position.
The 4th CB has to be at least a clear bench starter.
If Umtiti can accept Vermaelen role then it would be all fine but the club seems to be doubtful about his knee and if we were really to sign Griezmann, Umtiti will probably be sold along with Coutinho and possibly Raki.

Last edited:

Havesaks

Thing is we still need to see if Lenglet follow up this season at the same level. It is not unusual for CBs to have one fantastic season then follow it up with a mediocre one. Next season is perfect to keep both Umtiti and Lenglet to see if Lenglet maintains/increases his level and if Umtiti returns.

Then there is Pique's age and outside football interests (remember he had a poor first half to the season) and de Ligt's adaption to the team.

4 CBs isn't too much. We started the season with 4 CBs (Vermaelen, Umtiti, Pique, Lenglet) and added Murillo this year.

More like a 1/3 bad season for Pique. Maybe even 2/7. If he plays rest of the season on same level (and we all know he will, he is motivated). Yes, but Pique will be pressed as he has never before next season, and i actually think that will motivate him quiet a bit.

In Lenglets case I'm actually not worried that he will follow up on this one good season (he was also good in sevilla we need to remember) - he has this determined look on his face, and keeps improving as well, i think he is the kinda player who will always be playing at least solid. Only question is how he would pair up with a non-pique player eg. Ligt (or Umtiti). While Umtiti-lenglet profiles are a fit made in heaven there is the two lefties problem, and can Umtiti or Lenglet really play RCB? Lenglet does lack some playmaking / on-ball skills imo, and question is if he can develop that or how de ligt profile will develop.

In de ligt case, we need to remember he is only 19 y.o. Xavi and iniesta didn't become starters before mid twenties. He will join one of the 1-3 biggest club the world, and regardless of the competition he wants to come. ter Stegen also played 2 seasons on 50 % playing time, while being one of the best gk talent in the world.

Anyway, i think all CB's want to be in barca next season, only if club pushes Umtiti out, he will go. The season after that we can evaluate. Thats how it should be. And we should be really glad how blessed we are with 3 top, top CB - and probably the hottest CB prospect in the world. Its really pure luxury.

Havesaks

Except that Vermaelen and Umtiti were rarely available throughout the season..
Having 4 CBs isn't too much.
Having 4 good CBs is too much since regular rotation is usually not necessary in this position.
The 4th CB has to be at least a clear bench starter.
If Umtiti can accept Vermaelen role then it would be all fine but the club seems to be doubtful about his knee and if we were really to sign Griezmann, Umtiti will probably be sold along with Coutinho and possibly Raki.

Well what about a loan deal in de ligts case for next season? Maybe Sevilla?
He said no to be loaned out to Ajax, but to a good spanish side? Todibo would be 4th CB then. (God just imagine him also being a WC CB? Haha then we would have 5 WC CB's....)
Does Sevilla or another sub-top spanish side need a starting CB?

Porque

Lenglet was brought to compete with Umtiti. I absolutely love him as a player and wouldn't be against him as our starter next season. With that said, his opportunity opened up thanks to Umtiti's injury problems.

I think it is fair that both get the message that they will be competing for the LCB starting spot next season. If one of them isn't happy then we can talk about transfer options for the 20/21 summer window.

With Pique and De Ligt, no one more so than Pique will know that we have to sign his replacement sooner than later.

I don't think any will have an issue with competing starting spots for one season UNLESS they feel they need first team guarantee's for the sake of starting spots for their national team.

Lastly, not even considering Todibo as an option, as to me he seems very raw with a huge upside, and better off being loaned.

Home of Barca Fans