CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Lyon 5-1 agg.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Before the game I was hoping that Valverde put exactly this starters out there. I would have played Coutinho in midfield but Valverde would never do that so this was the only solution to avoid having Sergi Roberto at RB and Semedo on the bench.
The team played a really nice away game and should have scored a couple. Besides that our defense is still shaky. If counter pressing does not work out and we win back the ball in opposite half, the opponent has really good counter opportunities. Nothing new but we need to improve in that department.

Arizona Scott

You know Messi had two absolutely peachy free kick spots, one low into the wall and the other not close to being on frame. Shockingly bad for him in those situations where early in the season it seemed automatic. He had other clear chances normally he would bury. The other players missing some shots doesn't surprise me. I think Messi needs rest and to chew on his misses a little bit. Just lacking some mojo inside the penalty box but totally should have won the match, Lyon is lucky to still be alive.

I really hope EV gives most the starters a big rest vs Sevilla, the league classico & Vallecano. Relax a little in league and see the bigger picture.

Liverpool was super wasteful at home today too and of course Bayern got 0 vs a VVD less Liverpool team, so 2 of the other man threats had clinical finishing problems too.

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
Lyon will get Fekir back and will play differently, our coach did not play players at the right spot. Average game for both team.

Giginho75

We didn't win only because our attack has been muddler and too much tender with opponent goalkeeper.

We dominated and created a lot.

A lot of users in these days complained because we don't dominate and create anymore away in CL as in the past (anyway is not real, we can remember against Spurs in autumn)...yesterday we did it.

Lyon is not a top team, but they deserve respect because have good and interesting players, they won at Pep home in CL and against Psg in LigueOne.

Mostly in their pitch they are a not easy team to face.

Anyway 0-2 was the correct result.
I would like to read comments if we played like RM at Amsterdam Arena, despite RM won.

Kul_z

Not the game i was hoping for, but desire to win was there. 1 half was nothing, 2 half was pretty good at a hostile territory. Suarez is in some terrible form right now, hes slow, ball is bouncing from him everytime, ruining everything. His best thing is first touch pass/shoot and he is not doing it anymore. You can see the heart in him but body says no. He needs to get fitter, hes fat. Please suarez, do something about yourself

eaman

Pep basically played a reserve team when they played them in Manchester. And it obviously backfired.

Not true. Man city played a good team against them. Also we played alot better than city. Our only problem was our finishing which also showed against valladolid who we'd usually easily beat. We are just going through a bad finishing phase

PhilS

Well, Barca played its best game in a while, except for shooting. There are two players who are now at the top of their form: Ter Stegen and Pique. Although the Barca defense does bend, they have been quite resilient recently, which has prevented disaster during these weeks and weeks of very low scoring.

Who's to blame for averaging about 1/2 goal a game? Most of the blame has to go to the extremely expensive offensive talent, starting at the top. The manager was not causing them to either miss the goal or kick it straight at the keeper yesterday. I blame every player for the offensive lull, except the CBs and keeper. No, it's not because the wrong players are on the pitch, the guys not playing are not as good.

This scoring lull has to be temporary, doesn't it?

Bulgroz

Don't know if it's been mentionned, but xG on this game were 0,6 for Lyon, and 2 for Barca. Yet, I feel the 2 most impressive saves were made by MATS (on Aouar and Terrier), not by Lopes. It's because Lyon's biggest opportunities were long range shot (or, well, medium range maybe for Aouar, right outside the box). Barca had HUGE opportunities that didn't even end on target (notably by Suarez - which isn't surprising considering his current form), and Messi - which is more unlikely). Read somewhere 25 shots, only 5 on target for Barca, that's absolutely crazy low, especially when some of those shots were rather easy, it's not like everybody tried to score from 30 meters or something.

I feel that overall, the 1st half was poor technically, even though there's been a couple of chances, there were just too many dumb defensive mistakes by both teams. Second half was a bit better, with Barca controlling the game and getting some very big opportunities. Lyon is not an easy team when they're really focused. City didn't dominate the game at all. Barca did, at least for the second half. It all came down to a couple great performances by Lopes, Denayer and Dubois (who's a really interesting RB by the way), and some very clumsy finishing by Suarez (and the rest).

Second leg should be interesting, as Fekir should help Lyon quite a bit. I mean, yeah, Arthur will probably be back too. But Barca didn't need Arthur to control the game during the second half. Lyon struggled to create chances, and that's something that Fekir can do, much much better than Depay or Traore. Plus, Ndombele should be fitter, and hopefully Mendy won't get injured during warm up this time. I don't expect Lyon to go through though, and I think Barca will win 3-1, but the game itself could be funnier to watch than this first leg.

Vilarrubi

Don't know if it's been mentionned, but xG on this game were 0,6 for Lyon, and 2 for Barca. Yet, I feel the 2 most impressive saves were made by MATS (on Aouar and Terrier), not by Lopes. It's because Lyon's biggest opportunities were long range shot (or, well, medium range maybe for Aouar, right outside the box). Barca had HUGE opportunities that didn't even end on target (notably by Suarez - which isn't surprising considering his current form), and Messi - which is more unlikely). Read somewhere 25 shots, only 5 on target for Barca, that's absolutely crazy low, especially when some of those shots were rather easy, it's not like everybody tried to score from 30 meters or something.

I feel that overall, the 1st half was poor technically, even though there's been a couple of chances, there were just too many dumb defensive mistakes by both teams. Second half was a bit better, with Barca controlling the game and getting some very big opportunities. Lyon is not an easy team when they're really focused. City didn't dominate the game at all. Barca did, at least for the second half. It all came down to a couple great performances by Lopes, Denayer and Dubois (who's a really interesting RB by the way), and some very clumsy finishing by Suarez (and the rest).

Second leg should be interesting, as Fekir should help Lyon quite a bit. I mean, yeah, Arthur will probably be back too. But Barca didn't need Arthur to control the game during the second half. Lyon struggled to create chances, and that's something that Fekir can do, much much better than Depay or Traore. Plus, Ndombele should be fitter, and hopefully Mendy won't get injured during warm up this time. I don't expect Lyon to go through though, and I think Barca will win 3-1, but the game itself could be funnier to watch than this first leg.

Nice summary... no biased overreactions. I think we played pretty well.. and 25 shots is a lot, 9/10 we’d win with that many shots. I feel this game was different to our usual away CL ties where we get dominated and have hardly any chances. We were just shocking with decision making and in the final 3rd yesterday.

Home of Barca Fans