Champions League 2017/18

beck123

Banned
Chiellini: "Sergio Ramos is the best centre-back in the world"

He said it today in an interview I think.

I laugh my ass out when I hear ,, Ramos is not even in top 10''

Joan

I'll watch Bayern Sevilla game tomorrow.

Might watch the replay of the other match if the result's favorable.

Stoichkov1

Chiellini: "Sergio Ramos is the best centre-back in the world"

He said it today in an interview I think.

I laugh my ass out when I hear ,, Ramos is not even in top 10''

I laugh my ass out when I hear that Ramos is the best CB in the world too.

Ramos has been absolute rubbish this season like the entire Madrid's defence who conceded 33 goals in 30 matches in the league, which is the main reason they're so behind us.

Ramos is a defender who can score 10 goals per season and usually performs well in big matches except the clasico, but he's mistake prone, not consistent and too aggressive.

JamDav1982

The main reason they are behind is their attack failing to score in enough games.

The goals they have conceded so far is not all that different from last season but had too many games not managed to convert chances in first half of season.

Stoichkov1

The main reason they are behind is their attack failing to score in enough games.

The goals they have conceded so far is not all that different from last season but had too many games not managed to convert chances in first half of season.

They didn't score only against Betis, Atletico, Bilbao, Villarreal.

In some matches they scored but their defence couldn't keep a clean sheet so wins became draws or defeats like against Valencia, Levante, Girona or Vigo.

El Gato

Villarato!
I laugh my ass out when I hear that Ramos is the best CB in the world too.

Ramos has been absolute rubbish this season like the entire Madrid's defence who conceded 33 goals in 30 matches in the league, which is the main reason they're so behind us.

Ramos is a defender who can score 10 goals per season and usually performs well in big matches except the clasico, but he's mistake prone, not consistent and too aggressive.

Damn you really gotta be blind to laugh at an opinion of one of world's top CBs who has a masters and a doctorate in economics on top of that.

JamDav1982

They didn't score only against Betis, Atletico, Bilbao, Villarreal.

In some matches they scored but their defence couldn't keep a clean sheet so wins became draws or defeats like against Valencia, Levante, Girona or Vigo.

Failed to score 6 times this season I think and did not happen once last season.

Defence is almost the same by looks of it.

The attack has been the reason so far behind.

Stoichkov1

Damn you really gotta be blind to laugh at an opinion of one of world's top CBs who has a masters and a doctorate in economics on top of that.

I doubt that Chiellini even watches Real Madrid games, so of course I can laugh about his opinion.

Ramos has been the best or top 3 defender in the world some years, but to claim that he's been the best this season is absolute rubbish. You can look at your defensive record in the league if you want.

Stoichkov1

Failed to score 6 times this season I think and did not happen once last season.

Defence is almost the same by looks of it.

The attack has been the reason so far behind.

If their defence worked properly they would have 8-9 more points and they would still be in the title race. A win in the clasico and they could even have won the league.

JamDav1982

If their defence worked properly they would have 8-9 more points and they would still be in the title race. A win in the clasico and they could even have won the league.

Their defensive record is about the same but they have failed to score six times. That has been the biggest issue for them by far.

If comparing them to last season.

Real never really had a great defence and always been more about other end to win games.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Their defensive record is about the same but they have failed to score six times. That has been the biggest issue for them by far.

If comparing them to last season.

Real never really had a great defence and always been more about other end to win games.

In fact the defence was an issue for them even last year, but they were bailed out by last min goals.

It's always easier and safer to protect a lead than trying to outscore the opponent everytime.

JamDav1982

In fact the defence was an issue for them even last year, but they were bailed out by last min goals.

It's always easier and safer to protect a lead than trying to outscore the opponent everytime.

Yeah thats the point if Real dont score it will hit them as never really had defensive records of Barca/Atletico across the past few years.

Failing to score 6 times in league will be massive.

I doubt that Chiellini even watches Real Madrid games, so of course I can laugh about his opinion.

Ramos has been the best or top 3 defender in the world some years, but to claim that he's been the best this season is absolute rubbish. You can look at your defensive record in the league if you want.

It depends on what perspective you estimate his defensive abilities. For instance, for Barca where you're required to be tactically sharp, positionally infalliable and proactive, he would be very poor. That's why we see instances where Mascherano was completely out of position and Pique having to clear it or foul or be made as a joke. Umtiti too is not so positionally astute. That's why you can see many a times Alba being caught out while Roberto being worse defender protected by Pique.

But, for Real Madrid, the problem is not on Ramos. He's the best reactive defender in the world. When being positionally outclassed, Ramos is reflexively excellent than Pique and even Chiellini. Why they concede more is their attacking method. They attack in numbers and defend in numbers. It's one of the factor that makes them multidimensional attack because of various options. As I said in other thread, it is what giving the impression of Ronaldo being superior off the forward than others while his off the ball movement is the same as other great goalscorers.

Real Madrid plays an arcade style of attack. There are a lot of times we see the carbon copy movement of Kroos receiving short pass from corner and drifting towards the penalty area attracting the defenders while Ronaldo making run lately behind the defender leaving him completely unmarked . Now, the problem is if the defender recovered the ball and start the attack, there is no midfield. You will have a row of three defenders near the penalty area. And as per the counter attack of most teams, it creates 3 vs 3 situation. Also, 2 defenders should concentrate on the forward closest to the goal. Consequently you have one free defender. Now, you're outnumbered. In such instances you've to make a tackle or sliding block or foul player near the penalty box. It's why Ramos who is reflexively excellent is best for them. Recall how many times, Ramos blocked shots that seemed impossible to block.

So, it is not wrong to say Ramos as best defender.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

It depends on what perspective you estimate his defensive abilities. For instance, for Barca where you're required to be tactically share, positionally infalliable and proactive, he would be very poor. That's why we see instances where Mascherano was completely out of position and Pique having to clear it or foul or be made as a joke. Umtiti too is not so positionally astute. That's why you can see many a times Alba being caught out while Roberto being worse defender protected by Pique.

But, for Real Madrid, the problem is not on Ramos. He's the best reactive defender in the world. When being positionally outclassed, Ramos is reflexively excellent than Pique and even Chiellini. Why they concede more is their attacking method. They attack in numbers and defend in numbers. It's one of the factor that makes them multidimensional attack because of various options. As I said in other thread, it is what giving the impression of Ronaldo being superior off the forward than others while his off the ball movement is the same as other great goalscorers.

Real Madrid plays an arcade style of attack. There are a lot of times we see the carbon copy movement of Kroos receiving short pass from corner and drifting towards the penalty area attracting the defenders while Ronaldo making run lately behind the defender leaving him completely unmarked . Now, the problem is if the defender recovered the ball and start the attack, there is no midfield. You will have a row of three defenders near the penalty area. And as per the counter attack of most teams, it creates 3 vs 3 situation. Also, 2 defenders should concentrate on the forward closest to the goal. Consequently you have one free defender. Now, you're outnumbered. In such instances you've to make a tackle or sliding block or foul player near the penalty box. It's why Ramos who is reflexively excellent is best for them. Recall how many times, Ramos blocked shots that seemed impossible to block.

So, it is not wrong to say Ramos as best defender.

Don't think that the defensive abilities of a defender can be estimated in a million ways.

A good defender doesn't make mistakes, simple as that.

Ramos is good athletically, can score goals and outjump opponents and performs well in big games.

Ramos is also mistake prone, is too aggressive and gets too many dumb yellow/red cards and positionally is a disaster.

On 1vs1 he is above average, players like Messi or Kane get past him easily.

Home of Barca Fans