Cesc Fàbregas

SeloBarca

Or Iniesta..even though we have been crap, Iniesta has been one of the few bright points, which his big lead in assist league shows

Stric

What Messi wants is less important than what the teams needs, or even than what the staff tells him to do. Iniesta probably doesn't want to play on the wing, but he still does, because that's what he's told to do, and that's what they pay him millions for.

Ozil has 7 Liga assists, Cesc has 9. Granted, he did play 2 games more. At best, they're level. I don't remember Ozil providing crucial assists in the Euros or the World Cup, though. Obviously Iniesta surpassed Cesc this season, but let's not forget that Cesc had an injury in December and has had a terrible dip in form since. Up until then he was the league leader in assists. He spent the first half of the season being praised for his performances, he was providing assists left and right. He'd sure rack up another few these days if he had anyone in front of him to pass to. :facepalm:

BXI Fútbol

We could afford to bench Cesc, sure, but wouldn't it be more logical to (sometimes) take advantage of the things he brings to the table? Especially when they'd come in handy? He's hands down the best final pass provider in the world right now, and is on top of his game when used in the right environment. At the same time, Messi cutting through the middle from his false #9 position has become too obvious and easy to defend against. Why not just put 2 and 2 together and come up with a solution that would cover multiple issues. Put Messi on the wing, where he'll have more space, because the opposition defense can't afford to crowd around him in wide areas. Put Villa on the left, and Cesc in the false #9 position. Messi will cut in from the right like nobody's business, Villa will use his brilliant positioning to drag away defenders from both Cesc and Messi, and Cesc will be able to provide passes to both Messi and Villa, a genuine forward. Of course, MVP with Pedro on form could work well, too, but considering some of our problems lately, and Pedro being off form, Villa-Cesc-Messi seems like the more reasonable option to me.

I like this idea.

Vapor

What Messi wants is less important than what the teams needs, or even than what the staff tells him to do. Iniesta probably doesn't want to play on the wing, but he still does, because that's what he's told to do, and that's what they pay him millions for.

Ozil has 7 Liga assists, Cesc has 9. Granted, he did play 2 games more. At best, they're level. I don't remember Ozil providing crucial assists in the Euros or the World Cup, though. Obviously Iniesta surpassed Cesc this season, but let's not forget that Cesc had an injury in December and has had a terrible dip in form since. Up until then he was the league leader in assists. He spent the first half of the season being praised for his performances, he was providing assists left and right. He'd sure rack up another few these days if he had anyone in front of him to pass to. :facepalm:
Well said. I agree. Cesc still has a lot to offer, we saw the potential of his top form near the beginning of the season. When he is on form (which he hasn't been for a while, even before the Milan and Madrid games) his play in the final 3rd in front of goal is absolutely world class. He makes deadly runs, does great interplay with and threads DEADLY accurate balls to strikers up front. Playing him false 9 utilizes all of his great assets perfectly while minimizing his flaws (his slowness in midfield, slowing down our tiki taka midfield)

Garrus

This is all cesc's fault :troll:

Just so everyone knows that pointing fingers and blaming certain players are just excuses to avoid the truth, That the team as a whole is ill.

Y

Youngie

This is all cesc's fault :troll:

Just so everyone knows that pointing fingers and blaming at certain players only are just excuses to avoid the truth, The team as a whole is ill.

I really don't think the team is playing that badly. Just conceding from set pieces and counter attacks...as usual.

frostdude1

I posted this in the Messi thread .. why don't we try this lineup for Milan? We have nothing to lose!

------------ Busquets -----------
------- Xavi -------- Iniesta -----
Messi -------- Cesc --------- Villa

Cule4life

The Culest
Cesc is not the whole problem but a part of the problem nonetheless. He should not play against Milan for us to have any chance or this lineup can be used

Messi--Cesc--Villa

F

Flavia

I really don't think the team is playing that badly. Just conceding from set pieces and counter attacks...as usual.
No, the team is in bad form. Right now they are a shadow of themselves. Nothing is working. No movement, no chances created, it's a big mess.

Y

Youngie

May aswell be 3-4-3 vs Milan. Barça are conceding goals left, right and center anyway...

Indignado

It IS usual that we concede from those kinds of things, but normally, we're able to make up for it. Right now, we're not, so it really is the team as a whole that's playing badly.

Y

Youngie

I still don't think the team is playing that badly. Lack of firepower upfront and the defense is a mess. Midfield & possession are OK. Having an unfit Cesc doesn't help though...He could be making more runs upfront if fit. I thought he was moving very slowly last few games i.e. not fit.

Home of Barca Fans