Cesc Fabregas

Y

Youngie

What's interesting about it is that guys are saying Cesc "can't pass", "can't play tiki-taka" and all this stuff...yet he actually has more successful passes than Iniesta (a "master of tiki-taka").

So Roberto Trashorras has more successful passes than Cesc in league..interesting! :D:D:D

And more than the great Iniesta! But playing for Rayo and Barcelona are 2 completely different things...

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Most successful Liga passes: Xavi 2279 - Busquets 1979 - Trashorras 1729 - Alba 1673 - Alves 1644 - Cesc 1614 - Iniesta 1544 [via @barzaboy]

So Cesc has more successful passes than Iniesta in the League. Interesting :D

Cesc started 24 games, 2 subs, 1827 minutes. And Iniesta started 18, 6 subs, 1690 minutes.

Y

Youngie

Cesc started 24 games, 2 subs, 1827 minutes. And Iniesta started 18, 6 subs, 1690 minutes.

I don't care...the point is people here are saying Cesc can't pass or play tiki-taka - not that he's better than Iniesta..

F

Flavia

I don't care...the point is people here are saying Cesc can't pass or play tiki-taka - not that he's better than Iniesta..
You should care, I thought stats were everything :p
Cesc's not that good at tiki taka yet. He can pass, but he's still not as quick and sometimes he slows down the fluidity of passing.

Y

Youngie

When did I say "stats were everything"? My eyes are the best judge.

Obviously Fàbregas isn't as good as Xavi/iniesta/Busquets at Tiki-taka yet. Still needs to re-adapt after playing 8 years of "final pass" football. In the end I hope Cesc becomes a more complete player.

Elite-BkD

I would tend to guess that they more or less mean he can't play it at an extremely high level (such as that of Xavi/Messi/Iniesta/Busquets) and so that he remains an excellent part of that system in big matches against great teams. Your stat means little, accurately passing the ball is hardly the whole of tiki-taka, pass selection along with the right mindset and movement etc come into play. I'd say it's definitely fair to say he's not on that elite level when Barca are playing that tiki taka but he definitely is when the team are playing a more direct style which we've seen more of lately.

F

Flavia

When did I say "stats were everything"? My eyes are the best judge.

Obviously Fàbregas isn't as good as Xavi/iniesta/Busquets at Tiki-taka yet. Still needs to re-adapt after playing 8 years of "final pass" football. In the end I hope Cesc becomes a more complete player.

But that's why people say he can't play tiki taka. They just forget to say the "yet", as he is clearly improving. He still has a long way to go, though.

Y

Youngie

Please understand this Flavia: Cesc can play Tiki-taka.

I would tend to guess that they more or less mean he can't play it at an extremely high level (such as that of Xavi/Messi/Iniesta/Busquets) and so that he remains an excellent part of that system in big matches against great teams. Your stat means little, accurately passing the ball is hardly the whole of tiki-taka, pass selection along with the right mindset and movement etc come into play. I'd say it's definitely fair to say he's not on that elite level when Barca are playing that tiki taka but he definitely is when the team are playing a more direct style which we've seen more of lately.

Cesc seemed to be doing that just fine first half of the season. It wasn't just all pass - direct pass - goal at all. It was more of a build up. Guys were praising how well Barça played Tiki-taka earlier in the season (when Cesc was in the starting 11).

I think Xaviregas was a lot less direct and Fabriesta was a lot more direct...

Last edited:

Elite-BkD

Please understand this Flavia: Cesc can play Tiki-taka.

Cesc seemed to be doing that just fine first half of the season. It wasn't just all pass - direct pass - goal at all. It was more of a build up. Guys were praising how well Barça played Tiki-taka earlier in the season (when Cesc was in the starting 11).

I think Xaviregas was a lot less direct and Fabriesta was a lot more direct...

Didn't you just acknowledge that he isn't up to bar with the Barca midfield in that regard?

Y

Youngie

Didn't you just acknowledge that he isn't up to bar with the Barca midfield in that regard?

He's not at their level (i.e. the best in the world) in terms of movement, positioning etc. That's correct. However Cesc can (or could) still play tiki-taka at a high standard. So much so that he didn't stick out like a sore thumb in midfield (unlike last season) and looked great earlier in the season - then got injured...

Elite-BkD

He's not at their level (i.e. the best in the world) in terms of movement, positioning etc. That's correct. However Cesc can (or could) still play tiki-taka at a high standard. So much so that he didn't stick out like a sore thumb in midfield (unlike last season) and looked great earlier in the season - then got injured...

Agreed sorta, except that I'd point out that he will stick out a good deal more than usual in the more competitive/high level clashes with other top tier teams. I think if people are saying things such as 'he can't pass the ball' or 'he's rubbish at tiki-taka' (or something to that effect) then they're either doing a really poor job of articulating what they mean (which is common) or if they do mean it literally, that's crazy talk and not worth bothering with.

Home of Barca Fans