Cesc Fabregas

H

Haruko The Goon

WE LOVE CESC FABREGAS
WE LOVE CESC FABREGAS
WEEEEE LURRVE CESC FABREGAS
WE LURVE CESC FABREGAS

and lol at Fab being a luxury signing. He's a world class player and he'll take over from Xavi in 2 years.

Stric

I understand why some people are not satisfied with the signing of Fabregas at that particular moment, but you can see why it was the right thing to do if you look at the long term. Honestly, we probably could have benched Fabregas for the entire 11/12 and 12/13 season and we wouldn't have been a genuinely worse team without him. Surely some stats would be different, and the current gap in La Liga would probably be different, but the overall quality of our game and the team wouldn't be much worse than it is now. Heck, there are some people who'd go even further than that. If that's the way you look at it, then sure, we didn't need him in the first place. But if you look at the long term, you'll see that Xavi is closer to retiring with each season, and one day we'll need another top level midfielder to hold an important place in the team, even if he's not a direct replacement for Xavi's style/position. And what better choice is there than a young Catalan La Masia-grown player who spent the meantime bossing the EPL midfield and gaining tons of experience there, and is considered one of the top midfielders in the world? And is itching to come back and loves the club? Seriously, though, the signing was the right move to make, and even though its timing might be strange to some, it was well executed. Instead of buying him several years later, probably at a higher price, we saved some money and get to have him adapt slowly but surely over the course of a few seasons, while Xavi is still here. What Fabregas does now and how he performs now is much less relevant than how he will perform and what level he'll be at once Xavi is completely out of the picture. That's not to say that he is allowed to or should play badly now, of course. But he's here to stay, he won't be leaving. His long-term development and his future in the starting 11 is a far greater goal than the impression he makes in his first season or two, while still finding a place next to Iniesta and Xavi.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Without using statistics, Cesc has been: very good about 50% of the matches he played, 30% of the matches he's been ok and 20% maybe not great. But hey, newsflash - not even Xavi, Iniesta or Messi have been fantastic in every match.
If we are objective about things, yes, Cesc has helped us this season very much. I don't regret us buying him, there's no other midfielder I would rather have on our team beside the ones we already had. BUT, a midfield with Xavi and Iniesta is better 8/10 times than with Cesc - and it just irritates the hell out of me that some over-the-top fanboys(girls) shove statistics in my face that 'clearly' shows that Cesc is our best midfielder.

SeloBarca

Its the same as when people used the "Zlatan scored the most goals in the first half of the season, so he was the best player and better then Messi" argument. Cesc is good, but we have better players in every position, and theres better players you can get when those retire.

Stric

It's scary to think how good he would be if he managed to reach a level where his performances such as the ones in the first half of this season would be his average, that is, if he managed to maintain that form throughout the entire season. If he could improve the rest of his game to fit more into the Barcelona style, as well, he'd be damn near incredible. Imagine 15 goals and 20-ish assists a season, with an improved fit into the team. He'd definitely be an instrumental player.

Mr Hulot

It's scary to think how good he would be if he managed to reach a level where his performances such as the ones in the first half of this season would be his average, that is, if he managed to maintain that form throughout the entire season. If he could improve the rest of his game to fit more into the Barcelona style, as well, he'd be damn near incredible. Imagine 15 goals and 20-ish assists a season, with an improved fit into the team. He'd definitely be an instrumental player.

The real question is why he does not replicate his first half of the season performances, when it really matters. Is he mentally weak? Is there any other theory?

Stric

The breaking point this season was his injury in December. He had some good games since then, but to me that seems to be the turning point. He has had some good games since then, but he never quite got 100% back to that same form.

The breaking point this season was his injury in December. He had some good games since then, but to me that seems to be the turning point. He has had some good games since then, but he never quite got 100% back to that same form.

He did have a 2 good games against Malaga and get a goal against RM. That injury did seem to be the turning point, though I think it's after the cup game against RM that things really started going downhill...

Robbie

WE LOVE CESC FABREGAS
WE LOVE CESC FABREGAS
WEEEEE LURRVE CESC FABREGAS
WE LURVE CESC FABREGAS

and lol at Fab being a luxury signing. He's a world class player and he'll take over from Xavi in 2 years.

Cesc will never take over from Xavi. He's a vastly different sort of player, who holds onto possession far less, but takes risks and moves the ball forward more. He also has a potential 20 goals/assists in him per season. I wouldn't even compare him to Iniesta. He's his own player, but to get the best out of him the midfield needs to be shuffled around... and honestly, he's not worth shaking up the best team in the world. For the rest of his career, he'll be filling in for Iniesta and Messi, or playing the false 9 role.

Sergi Samper seriously looks like the 2nd coming of Xavi. He'll be the one to replace him when he gets his chance. Besides, Xavi's game doesn't revolve around pace. He could be a Giggs/Scholes/Maldini/Zanetti type of player who stays on into his late 30's.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah I've never understood how Cesc would one day take Xavi's role as they are basically polar opposites. One is a pure #10 attacking midfielder who's secondary position is as a false 9, the other is a deep lying creative midfielder who distributes the ball and tries to keep possession.

I really like Samper but after watching him more he reminds me of a Busqu-irlo rather than a Xavi. That doesn't change the fact that he's a fantastic player.

Stric

Cesc will never take over from Xavi. He's a vastly different sort of player, who holds onto possession far less, but takes risks and moves the ball forward more. He also has a potential 20 goals/assists in him per season. I wouldn't even compare him to Iniesta. He's his own player, but to get the best out of him the midfield needs to be shuffled around... and honestly, he's not worth shaking up the best team in the world. For the rest of his career, he'll be filling in for Iniesta and Messi, or playing the false 9 role.

Sergi Samper seriously looks like the 2nd coming of Xavi. He'll be the one to replace him when he gets his chance. Besides, Xavi's game doesn't revolve around pace. He could be a Giggs/Scholes/Maldini/Zanetti type of player who stays on into his late 30's.

Normally I'd say I don't think Xavi will call it a day anytime soon, and that I expect he will stay into his late 30s, but he has that chronic achilles tendon problem that might stand in the way. He's generally injury-prone. Otherwise I'd have no problem imagining him around even at 35+.

Cesc is here to add something different to our team, not to mimic Xavi's role.

This is true. He is not a replacement for Xavi, but he is a replacement in the sense that the team will need another great midfielder in the coming years. Who knows, maybe Busquets or Iniesta will inherit Xavi's role, and Fabregas will be the attacking player.

Last edited:

Maria

Why do you always use Real Madrid and Mourinho as a reference or justification in almost every argument?

I can't help it if you guys are doing such a great job since Perez returned :(..seriously, I only do it when I'm talking about transfers and after I read how Cesc is better than Ozil because he is catalan and from La Masia(though this is not stopping many of our players of 16 years from leaving to England for salaries 10 times bigger) I was even more stimulated. Also, how many times have I mentioned Mou before? My memory is not as good as yours.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Would having 'to' there in between make you happier? If so, sorry.

Overall what I was saying could be put 'has high passing percentage != can play tiki-taka'. Context was 'facts being twisted'. Reference should be clear.

Programmer alert!!!

Home of Barca Fans