Best striker in the last decade?

Best striker in the past decade

• Total voters

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Although if we are looking at high points, Diego Forlan in 08/09 was the single best individual performance by a striker for the decade.

:lol:

Thierry Henry in 2003 says hello.

although Forlan in 08/09 was superhuman. was like Cavani last season, but with more golazos.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
:lol:

Thierry Henry in 2003 says hello.

although Forlan in 08/09 was superhuman. was like Cavani last season, but with more golazos.

Well Henry was obviously a better player during his peak in the middle of the decade. There's a reason this poll is really between Villa, Eto'o and Henry, and if we are only talking peaks only Eto'o tops Titi for me.

But Henry did have some good help. Forlan in 08/09 was Judge fucking Dredd, judge, jury and executor rolled into one. Aguero that year was no Lavezzi.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
if we're talking peak ability as a footballer then Henry is the clear winner. at his peak he was like Eto'o and Villa combined.

if we're talking overall impact (ability & trophies & general awesome) then it's between Eto'o and Villa. I lean towards Villa because of his consistency and heroics at the 2010 World Cup, but then Eto'o did the Double Treble.

jamrock

Eto'o scored 4 & 1. Mboma 4 & 3. and it wasn't just during the tournaments.

why start with '03? Eto'o didn't start then. discount 99/00 because he only started halfway through, but in his first 3 seasons he didn't crack 20 goals and then, alright, the injuries did stop him twice for us, but for Inter? you can't blame Mourinho. he spent most of that season playing up-front. only playing wide from February on, and even then not in every game.

well obviously.

Eto'o played his peak with Barcelona.

Villa played his peak with Valencia.

massive difference.

Not just the tournaments but its the cups that counts and it a 2 goal difference between them, and eto'o scored in the final as per usual so that pretty much makes it up.:lol:

i started in 03/04, because thats when villa started playing in the top division, as it relates to inter, its difficult adapting to a new league, and from Feb on it a lot of time, thats when teams and top players are normally at their best, no way he wouldn't have scored 4 more goals if he wasn't basically playing lb for almost half the season.

if you are going to use the Barca Vs Valencia argument, then you can't then say you can't use the fact that Villa is playing for the best national team in the world, as a excuse for Villa.

jamrock

Henry at his best, though the PL wasn't then what it is now and i hate the SOB, was just fing sexy at his peak, much more than villa and eto'o

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Not just the tournaments but its the cups that counts and it a 2 goal difference between them, and eto'o scored in the final as per usual so that pretty much makes it up.:lol:

true, true.

look, I ain't gonna argue with Eto'o being Mr. Big Shot, but I watched those tournaments and he was not Cameroon's key player.

anyway this is a really petty criticism so I'm gonna stop it here. :lol:

i started in 03/04, because thats when villa started playing in the top division

we're not comparing them season-by-season.

starting in 03 eliminates Eto'o's first few seasons where he didn't score much. which skews it in his favour because Villa was scoring 20 from the offset.

as it relates to inter, its difficult adapting to a new league, and from Feb on it a lot of time, thats when teams and top players are normally at their best, no way he wouldn't have scored 4 more goals if he wasn't basically playing lb for almost half the season.

no doubt adapting is difficult, but don't exaggerate. he played wide in a 433 from February on, but only played "LB" against us and then in the Final after Inter took the lead. he had enough time to hit 20 but never did.

if you are going to use the Barca Vs Valencia argument, then you can't then say you can't use the fact that Villa is playing for the best national team in the world, as a excuse for Villa.

yeah, they are the best team in the World, but were they playing like it in South Africa? yes, Villa's 47 in 76 is brilliant. yes, he did excellently at the Euros. but really all that is just appetiser for what he did at the World Cup. he dragged an underperforming Spain to the Semi-Finals through his goals.

anyway, we're just gonna argue in circles here because there really isn't much separating these two.

let's just agree they're both fucking awesome and we're blessed that they both played for Barça.

Henry at his best, though the PL wasn't then what it is now and i hate the SOB, was just fing sexy at his peak, much more than villa and eto'o

correctamundo.

he was on a different planet.

rolled back the years in 08/09 as well, tbh.

El Gato

Villarato!
Bias will do its job everywhere. Maybe if it was a general talk forum not stacked with gloryhunters (not implying BarcaForum is, it's just the case with neutral forums knowing from personal experience) then Ruud, Raul and maybe even Shevchenko would be in the running for the top spot.

adil_909

Bias will do its job everywhere. Maybe if it was a general talk forum not stacked with gloryhunters (not implying BarcaForum is, it's just the case with neutral forums knowing from personal experience) then Ruud, Raul and maybe even Shevchenko would be in the running for the top spot.

ruud and raul yes,

shevchenko? i'll pass.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Decent is a massive understatement. He has had the same amount of assists as he has goals in the league.

Also, to further extend this debate, he has had a better record than David Villa (in terms of stats) when you compare their debut seasons whilst playing a fewer amount of games than the latter.

Only thing that goes against Ibra is that his role in the team was so crucial that if he sucked, he looked disjointed from the team but if Villa sucked (as seen in last game), he just gets by unnoticed cause his role is not as crucial to the team as weird as that may sound.

Completely disagree, when Ibra had a bad game he was completely invisible throughout the match, unlike Villa who still makes dangerous runs. And Ibra, a player who has done absolutely nothing of note in Europe in his whole career better than everyone else on the list? Come on.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Ruud: 0 CL
Raul: 1 CL
Shevchenko: 1 CL

no international honours.

both Raul and Ruud have had more than one low-scoring season in the last decade. plus Shevchenko stopped being a force in 2006 when he moved to Chelsea. that's half a decade of downward slope, which does not compare well to Villa & Eto'o.

if this poll had been made three years ago, yeah, all three of them would have been in contention. but in the last three years they've fallen off while Eto'o and Villa have gone on to achieve true greatness (Villa with the CL & heroic World Cup win - and then Eto'o's Double Treble). Henry's fallen off in the last two years, sure, but he was sooooo good for several years before that he remains a factor anyway.

they would have more votes on a non-Barça forum, sure, but you can't argue they deserve to be in contention.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans