Best striker in the last decade?

Best striker in the past decade

• Total voters

DucdeOrléans

Explain to me how Villa is even in contention?

Are you kidding me or are just being stupid as per se?

Villa has won the World Cup and European Championship, being the topscorer of those two tournaments in the process. David Villa also managed to become Spain's all-time topscorer. Apart from being way more consistent than your Raul (and scoring more goals).

The only difference is that while Villa played for teams such as Zaragoza and Valencia Raul played for RM. Despite this Raul only won 3 league titles in the past decade....

Last edited:

oz187

Personally I would go for Samuel Eto'o. He's been a goal scoring machine and scored in the big games sure, but he also played with the highest intensity of any striker. He had the concept of the strikers being the first line of defense before Pep. At times he singlehandedly achieved what the front line does today. He was always underrated because people would say he only scored so many goals because he had Ronaldinho and Messi backing him up, but you can see how no other striker in the team since has been anywhere near.
David Villa was a close contender, he's been consistent and his performances for Spain have been immense. But he wasn't scoring quite as many goals as Eto'o and he didn't dominate games the same way.
Thierry Henry at Arsenal was immense at times, great goalscoring and also creating for others. On these he could have won, but he had problems at times in some big games, didn't score in either Champions League Final, and also his performances for France were nowhere near the same level.
Andriy Shevchenko, amazing player, won the Balon D'or. In terms of Talent a genuine contender. Tough one, but didn't have as many good years in the decade itself.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, great for his club teams in many ways, but lazy so had negative affects on general play and wasn't so hot on the European and international stage.
Ruud van Nistelrooy, amazing goalscorer, but his all round play was very limited compared to the others.

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
Are you kidding me or are just being stupid as per se?

Villa has won the World Cup and European Championship, being the topscorer of those two tournaments in the process. David Villa also managed to become Spain's all-time topscorer. Apart from being way more consistent than your Raul (and scoring more goals).

The only difference is that while Villa played for teams such as Zaragoza and Valencia Raul played for RM. Despite this Raul only won 3 league titles in the past decade....
While I was not serious about Raul, he at least was a key player throughout his Madrid career, except the last season. Villa is not a key player for Barca at all (one of the easiest to replace in fact) and never was a top 3 (probably not even top 5) player for Spain either, no matter what his goal scoring record may seem to imply.

Eto'o is the obvious choice. Much more important for Barcelona than Villa ever was, and actually won a big trophy while not on by far the best team (Spain or Barca) as a key player.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Its Villa for me, never gone under 15 league goals in his whoel career in La Liga, even when playing for Zaragoza

Ash1899

shevchenko_golden_ball.jpg

:worthy:

And yes I'm biased

MoFroBo

Oh glorious Sheva... Too bad it went all wrong for him at the end of this decade.

But imo Eto'o or Villa are above others.

Ash1899

Oh glorious Sheva... Too bad it went all wrong for him at the end of this decade.

But imo Eto'o or Villa are above others.

He was the one dumb enough to cave in to his wife demands about how she wanted their kids to learn 'engleeeeeeeeeesh'

He could have been the greatest strikers ever if he had stayed at Milan....

X

xaviniesta

never ever. messi doesn't win all the individual trophys just because he scores shitload of goals. i hate that so much.

Home of Barca Fans