Best goalkeeper in the last decade?

Choose the best keeper of the last decade.

• Total voters

Moe

powered by;
Valdes has been great but you just can't vote for him because he's yet to play a single game in the WC or Euros. It's between Iker and Buffon, they've both been great but I will go with Iker because he has won more than Buffon at club and international level (based on, and only on, the last decade).

S7_MUFC

Edwin Van Der Sar for his consistency, it looked liked he was nearing the end of his career when he went to Fulham.

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
why on earth does Valdes have 25 votes, he's been good the last couple years just because your a fan you shouldn't be biased....

F

Flavia

why on earth does Valdes have 25 votes, he's been good the last couple years just because your a fan you shouldn't be biased....
I was wondering the same... considering the last 10 years, VV is way behind iker, buffon and vds.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Buffon in his prime is by far the best keeper of those listed.

Voted for him even though he's been regularly absent since 2007.

Reasonus

Oliver fan here. The guy was a beast. On his day, he would own every keeper mentioned here. He didn't even need both hands to make exceptional saves. His handling wasn't that great though. Buffon would be my second choice followed by Valdes.

Why does everyone whine about Iker vs. Victor? Victor has 4 Zamora trophies, Iker has 1.
4>1, Victor wins.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
Oliver fan here. The guy was a beast. On his day, he would own every keeper mentioned here. He didn't even need both hands to make exceptional saves. His handling wasn't that great though. Buffon would be my second choice followed by Valdes.

Why does everyone whine about Iker vs. Victor? Victor has 4 Zamora trophies, Iker has 1.
4>1, Victor wins.
but this poll is over the last 10 years and iker has been active and consistent over the last 10 years while VV has only been good the last 5 years and elite for 3 years

E

estranged

wow this is a close call between buffon and casillas, vote gigi buffon people! best keeper on the planet since he was born :D

Reasonus

but this poll is over the last 10 years and iker has been active and consistent over the last 10 years while VV has only been good the last 5 years and elite for 3 years

And Casillas hasn't been that good for the past 3 years. It was not like Victor was letting everything in and Casillas was saving everything before Valdes became better. We usually tend to exaggerate the past achievements of other players. Take the Brazillian Ronaldo as an example, I have watched almost every game he's played except when he was in Real Madrid, I was a fan and I know what he was capable of, but now you see people saying Messi is not as good as him and some are sincere. I remember him squandering chances like Villa all the time, losing possession very easily, his passing wasn't on Messi's level and of course Messi's dribbling is far better thin his, but people only remember the greatness and overtime his skills are magnified in our heads. Same goes for Victor Valdes, we remember him for his mistakes at a time Casillas was considered better, but that doesn't mean Valdes was crap. He was, at times, an excellent keeper.

I don't claim to be an expert nor do I claim to have watched every game with those guys in them, but I believe Victor is on Iker's level, if not better. After all, he's been the better keeper (at least statistically) for the second half of the decade.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
And Casillas hasn't been that good for the past 3 years. It was not like Victor was letting everything in and Casillas was saving everything before Valdes became better. We usually tend to exaggerate the past achievements of other players. Take the Brazillian Ronaldo as an example, I have watched almost every game he's played except when he was in Real Madrid, I was a fan and I know what he was capable of, but now you see people saying Messi is not as good as him and some are sincere. I remember him squandering chances like Villa all the time, losing possession very easily, his passing wasn't on Messi's level and of course Messi's dribbling is far better thin his, but people only remember the greatness and overtime his skills are magnified in our heads. Same goes for Victor Valdes, we remember him for his mistakes at a time Casillas was considered better, but that doesn't mean Valdes was crap. He was, at times, an excellent keeper.

I don't claim to be an expert nor do I claim to have watched every game with those guys in them, but I believe Victor is on Iker's level, if not better. After all, he's been the better keeper (at least statistically) for the second half of the decade.

Oh my goodness, I never thought this day would come, a football fan not overrating footballers of old. Fans always seem to forget the bad moments and games players had once they retire, its almost as if those bad moments did not exist. Thats why I cringe when people say Zidane is better then Messi, people actually forget all the crap games he had and how bad his attitude was sometimes as soon as he retired, same with Scholes and Gary Neville. I recently heard a pundit on Radio 5live saying that G.Neville was the best RB in EPL history, wtf?! Just because their retired doesnt mean you all of a sudden have to start riding their cock.

Back on topic, I agree, VV has been immense over the last 5 years, making few mistakes and improving each year, people forget that Casillas, VDS, Cech and even Buffon in the prime made bigger howlers then I have ever seen VV make.

A

ArsenalN5

Valdes has 27 votes? From what I've seen of him, he's just a good GK.

Don't think a Top-Top keeper would have let that RVP goal in.

(Anyone wanna buy Almunia and/or Fabianski off of us? lolz they are the worst keepers ever!)

Home of Barca Fans