Barca draws Man City

L

linetty

I really hope we face Bayern this season, we'll beat them...
We wouldn't get hammered but I can't see us winning against them...they're too powerful. I hope they get Chelsea or Real

I want us to face Dortmund or United/Olympiacos

big_man

We wouldn't get hammered but I can't see us winning against them...they're too powerful. I hope they get Chelsea or Real

I want us to face Dortmund or United/Olympiacos

Nope. First of all, even last season, they were never 4-0 better than Barcelona in the first leg. The scoreline flattered them immensely as they scored at least 2 of their goals from fouls.

They were fantastic in terms of defensive play and organisation. They never played off us the park via passing or anything. They were basically a team that was able to capitalize on a weakness we've had since 2008/2009 (See Chelsea games that season). Chelsea could have beaten us 4-1 in stamford bridge that night, but we drew 1-1, such are the fine margins in football.

This season, Pep has turned them into a possession based team and they won't play on the defensive. Pep, knowing him, would try to outplay us with passing and attacking with their high-line. Something that is IN COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF HOW THEY WON last season. We are still a better passing team than they are for my money and when pressed they look very very vulnerable.

People have a wankfest over Alaba all the time but in the one game where a team had a go at them and there wasn't a Ribery to do his defensive work he looked as bad as Alba on his worst days. Boateng and Dante are average against a team that presses and attacks them, we saw it against DOrtmund too when they put 4 past them.

I wouldn't put money on them beating us, and I wouldn't put money on us beating them. But there's no way Bayern is significantly better than Barca or the other way round, that's just media narrative rubbish that everyone has churned up.

I was more impressed with how we controlled the game against a MUCH BETTER city side than their game against Arsenal who had them on the ropes and but for that bottler missing the penalty who knows what would have happened. I am happy with the way things are now though, I love how people underestimated us against City for example and I'd rather keep it that way. So yeah, against Bayern as well..."What?! no chance! they're far better...blah blah!"

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Alaba aside, that's a pretty spot on post for me...Nice

Yeah, I do find it odd to watch Bayern this season, I love Pep but Heyneckes side was more imposing, for me

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Nope. First of all, even last season, they were never 4-0 better than Barcelona in the first leg. The scoreline flattered them immensely as they scored at least 2 of their goals from fouls.

They were fantastic in terms of defensive play and organisation. They never played off us the park via passing or anything. They were basically a team that was able to capitalize on a weakness we've had since 2008/2009 (See Chelsea games that season). Chelsea could have beaten us 4-1 in stamford bridge that night, but we drew 1-1, such are the fine margins in football.

This season, Pep has turned them into a possession based team and they won't play on the defensive. Pep, knowing him, would try to outplay us with passing and attacking with their high-line. Something that is IN COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF HOW THEY WON last season. We are still a better passing team than they are for my money and when pressed they look very very vulnerable.

People have a wankfest over Alaba all the time but in the one game where a team had a go at them and there wasn't a Ribery to do his defensive work he looked as bad as Alba on his worst days. Boateng and Dante are average against a team that presses and attacks them, we saw it against DOrtmund too when they put 4 past them.

I wouldn't put money on them beating us, and I wouldn't put money on us beating them. But there's no way Bayern is significantly better than Barca or the other way round, that's just media narrative rubbish that everyone has churned up.

I was more impressed with how we controlled the game against a MUCH BETTER city side than their game against Arsenal who had them on the ropes and but for that bottler missing the penalty who knows what would have happened. I am happy with the way things are now though, I love how people underestimated us against City for example and I'd rather keep it that way. So yeah, against Bayern as well..."What?! no chance! they're far better...blah blah!"

Bayern played nothing like Chelsea, so claiming they were capitalizing on the same weak spot doesn't make any sense.

L

linetty

Great post but I still can't see us going trough if we get them.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Spot on!
First of all, just like you say the 4-0 "flattered them immensely" - 2 fouls on us from which they scored and than we lost the hunger, especially that screening from Muller on Alba was disgusting. If City feel a little bit cheated by the ref, which I don't understand, they need to watch our game against Bayern - that was a real disgrace! Titos absence, him wanting 100 points and not rotating, bad tactics, key players injured etc just added to how we got eliminated. I feel our game was much better than Bayern's, and we played without Neymar and with a Messi that has a couple of more gears. Without injuries I see us as favorites, and I also think Chelsea and Real are bigger challenges than Bayern in CL.

G

Gascav

Spot on!
First of all, just like you say the 4-0 "flattered them immensely" - 2 fouls on us from which they scored and than we lost the hunger, especially that screening from Muller on Alba was disgusting. If City feel a little bit cheated by the ref, which I don't understand, they need to watch our game against Bayern - that was a real disgrace! Titos absence, him wanting 100 points and not rotating, bad tactics, key players injured etc just added to how we got eliminated. I feel our game was much better than Bayern's, and we played without Neymar and with a Messi that has a couple of more gears. Without injuries I see us as favorites, and I also think Chelsea and Real are bigger challenges than Bayern in CL.
They didnt have ribery and schweinsteiger

big_man

Bayern played nothing like Chelsea, so claiming they were capitalizing on the same weak spot doesn't make any sense.

You played a very strong defensive game, marked messi and Iniesta out of the game, limited us to very few chances (1 shot on target), got a break from a setpiece and countered well when we pushed forward.

Chelsea played a very strong defensive game,marked messi and Iniesta out of the game, limited us to very few chances (1 shot on target), got a break from Essien's wondershot and countered well (missed 3 or 4 one on ones).

The only difference is Chelsea missed all their sitters. The way you went about the defensive side of the game was also different, but the end result was the same. Chelsea sat back completely whereas you sat back but pressed our midfielders when they came forward.

This season is very different ball game because Pep wont do all that. We have also become much more pragmatic and aren't as susceptible to the counter as we used to be so I expect a VERY different game.

This time the world sees you as an "updated Barcelona", so you will have to come out and actually play up to that tag, THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE THIS TIME AROUND, and it's why, even as a fan that should be hoping to get an easier route to the finals, I want us to face your team in a 2 legged tie again as a football fan first and foremost.

It'll be fascinating watching 2 extreme ball hoggers, which I believe has never happened in football history, it was supposed to happen last season but your team went reactive instead(and justifiably so). I made a similar post somewhere else about this can't remember what thread.

You have a great team, one that is well capable of beating us, anyone that says otherwise is deluded, but all this "level above" nonsense though, especially considering the shift in style of play....NAH....

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

You played a very strong defensive game, marked messi and Iniesta out of the game, limited us to very few chances (1 shot on target), got a break from a setpiece and countered well when we pushed forward.

Bayern was playing Dortmund style (but better) against Barca. Very intense pressing in what were basically three zones (high pitch, around the middle line and finally near our box), inbetween they were "eating up" space, making passes as difficult and risky as possible. As soon as the ball was won, the whole team went into full throttle counter mode.

Chelsea did nothing but park the bus (by basically having 2 lines of 4 directly in front of the box), double a couple of players and hoping to somehow score a goal with the help of long balls.

Those are two completely different approaches. It's like saying the Spice Girls have the same artistic value as Bach.
Both tactics tackle different weaknesses of the typical Barca gameplay and depend to a different degree on skill&workrate vs. luck. Bayern brought it to Barca, Chelsea didn't.

Last edited:

xavi_the_Boss

Bayern was playing Dortmund style (but better) against Barca. Very intense pressing in what were basically three zones (high pitch, around the middle line and finally near our box), inbetween they were "eating up" space, making passes as difficult and risky as possible. As soon as the ball was won, the whole team went into full throttle counter mode.

Chelsea did nothing but purk the bus (by basically having 2 lines of 4 directly in front of the box), double a couple of players and hoping to somehow score a goal with the help of long balls.

Those are two completely different approaches. It's like saying the Spice Girls have the same artistic value as Bach.
Both tactics tackle different weaknesses of the typical Barca gameplay and depend to a different degree on skill&workrate vs. luck. Bayern brought it to Barca, Chelsea didn't.

He means the 2009 semi final against Chelsea not 2012.

Home of Barca Fans