Ballon d'Or 2011

poltergeist

Messi is not just about goals, it's his overall brillant play, his passes, his vision is on par with Xavi's ...he's a complete player, not just someone who scores a bunch of goals. Sometimes I get this feeling, that even some Barca-Fans think, that Messi is nothing without Xavi-Iniesta. If that is the case, than maybe it would be better for Leo to move on and leave Barca. I would really love to see, how Barca would do without him.
This!
CR doesn't deserve to be on the shortlist.

Maria

lol
I know it's hard to believe but Xavi and Iniesta are 2 players, so yes they would probably increase Argentina's chances of doing something(mainly because someone like Xavi it's exactly what the're missing)..although with that defence and coach it's improbable. But what people keep forgetting is the depth that Spain has right now(especialy in midfield) compared with most countries(bar Germany).

And while we can see what Messi does without Barca, it's as evident what Barca/Spain does without Messi:scores 1goal/game(and it will be worse if they don't call Soldado at the next Euro).

Jenks

If Messi really needs Xavi and Iniesta that much then surely there is more of an argument that Ronaldo is a better player? He was a beast for United with a far inferior midfield, and in the CL too before we hear the usual dross about the EPL...

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Well...

Messi for Argentina > Cristiano for Portugal
Messi for Barca > Cristiano for RM/United

Manuel Traquete

If Messi really needs Xavi and Iniesta that much then surely there is more of an argument that Ronaldo is a better player? He was a beast for United with a far inferior midfield, and in the CL too before we hear the usual dross about the EPL...

No. If Messi's greatness was indeed only because of Xavi and Iniesta, those two should be the undisputed best players in the world. Their achievements, consistent world class performance + creating a myth like Messi (making everyone believe Messi is so great) should make them the best.

If that obviously flawed theory about Messi being nothing without Xavi and Iniesta were true, it'd make Xavi and Iniesta, and not Cristiano, the best in the world. But of course it's not true: Messi has it easier playing alongside the two best midfielders of this generation, but his dribbling, ball control, vision, shooting, finishing and all his skills have nothing to do with either Xavi or Iniesta.

Maria

What about Cristiano with Portugal?
You make it sound like Xabi, Ozil and Di Maria are such poor players(Di Maria right now is a beast..and so is Xabi) and RM isn't the most expensive team ever assembled. And if you're an United fan you should know that you're team was much better in 2008 than it is now. Seriously it's not like he is playing with Valencia.

And a fun fact for you: the number of assists that Dani Alves has given to Messi in 3 years is double to the sum of the ones given by Xavi&Iniesta since they're playing together. So if it's a player of which Messi is dependand in terms of goals, that is the brazilian.

@Jenks

Taking a quick look at your message history I saw that you defended Rooney recent lack of goals because SAF plays him in the midfield. After seeing that, I'm even more baffled of your assesment in what it regards Messi with the NT. I'm sure that you watched at least 3 games before reaching the conclusion that Messi plays poorly for Argentina and you've saw that he too has to play in the midfield because they don't have a proper playmaker.
Messi this year with Argentina: 10 assists+4 goals

Last edited:

Jenks

What about Cristiano with Portugal?
You make it sound like Xabi, Ozil and Di Maria are such poor players(Di Maria right now is a beast..and so is Xabi) and RM isn't the most expensive team ever assembled. And if you're an United fan you should know that you're team was much better in 2008 than it is now. Seriously it's not like he is playing with Valencia.

And a fun fact for you: the number of assists that Dani Alves has given to Messi in 3 years is double to the sum of the ones given by Xavi&Iniesta since they're playing together. So if it's a player of which Messi is dependand in terms of goals, that is the brazilian.

@Jenks

Taking a quick look at your message history I saw that you defended Rooney recent lack of goals because SAF plays him in the midfield. After seeing that, I'm even more baffled of your assesment in what it regards Messi with the NT. I'm sure that you watched at least 3 games before reaching the conclusion that Messi plays poorly for Argentina and you've saw that he too has to play in the midfield because they don't have a proper playmaker.
Messi this year with Argentina: 10 assists+4 goals

If you've actually read my posting history, you'd see that I haven't said anything about Messi's performances for Argentina, nor have I said that he can't perform without Xavi or Iniesta. What I did say, was that if that is the case, why can Ronaldo perform without them while Messi supposedly can't.

Maria

@Jenks
It doesn't make any sense what you're saying..what Xavi and Iniesta got to do with Cristiano? He has Xabi and Di Maria(last year was also Ozil who gave him something like 15 assists)..but football is a team sport. And while I can admit that Cristiano is the best from Real, most of his fans are refusing to do the same with Messi.
If next year RM wins everything, but Portugal fails at EC and Germany wins it(with Ozil as MVP) I want to see if the same fans that are dissmising Messi because "he is nothing without Xavi" will do the same with Cristiano and Ozil.

@AnfieldEd
The Ballon dÓr is not given for lifetime achievements. Fifa has a special prize for that and I believe that Giggs has won this year.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Ballon D'or is the most important individual award a player can get, I believe Xavi deserves such an award. I don't care if Messi deserves it or not for 2011, Xavi has long deserved such an award.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Ballon D'or is the most important individual award a player can get, I believe Xavi deserves such an award. I don't care if Messi deserves it or not for 2011, Xavi has long deserved such an award.

Can't disagree but if there was ever a time for someone not named Leo to win it, last year was it and it was all for Xavi to take...As long as Leo is healthy, it's his award

Home of Barca Fans