Andres Iniesta

Zqa-

All he needs to become a serious challenger for the balon d'or, is to score goals.. Too bad he doesn't know how to do that.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It was great to see him run as he wasn't injured at all. Well done Casper. He would have looked even better in midfield though.

J

justin

Iniesta is a very overrated player.

He is a very skillful player but how can he be considered one of the best when he only got 5 goals and 10 assists last season. Compare this to Lampard's 18 goals and 18 assists last season and that wasn't even Lampard's best season. Stats don't mean everything but it does provide a indication to your end product and their contribution. Iniesta is suppose to be a attacking midfielder his overall contribution is not as great as people say. Compare this to Xavi's 27 assists and 10 goals. How can people say Iniesta is better than Xavi.

For me Iniesta is merely a system player who just looks good because of the players around him. For instance Fabregas would do much much better than Iniesta at Barcelona beside Xavi. Fabregas has already got 4 goals and 9 assists this season playing with inferior players.

jamrock

EPL fan boys are having a field day, it seems

1) iniesta was out injured for large parts of last season
2) if cesc were better, then he would be the one starting for spain
3) whats the most goals zidane ever scored in a season, and what was his avg goals scored and assist per season.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived

He is a very skillful player but how can he be considered one of the best when he only got 5 goals and 10 assists last season. Compare this to Lampard's 18 goals and 18 assists last season and that wasn't even Lampard's best season. Stats don't mean everything but it does provide a indication to your end product and their contribution. Iniesta is suppose to be a attacking midfielder his overall contribution is not as great as people say. Compare this to Xavi's 27 assists and 10 goals. How can people say Iniesta is better than Xavi.

For me Iniesta is merely a system player who just looks good because of the players around him. For instance Fabregas would do much much better than Iniesta at Barcelona beside Xavi. Fabregas has already got 4 goals and 9 assists this season playing with inferior players.
Hehe, you should have said that to all the Manchester United players after that evening on the 27th of May 2009. I bet they would have loved to play Lampard instead. :)

Juan03

u cant measure brilliance with statistics, u can only capture moments of it.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
iniesta is a player you cannot measure in statistics.

the joy of iniesta is a voyeuristic one, it is a joy of watching.

watching him glide across the turf, watching him clip passes to and fro, watching him try to shoot.

the elegance is breathtaking.

in that respect, he is very much heir to zidane's throne.

maz

I walk the line

3) whats the most goals zidane ever scored in a season, and what was his avg goals scored and assist per season.

i seriously love you jamrock.

J

justin

1) Irrelevant as people say last season was Iniesta's best season and say he is one of the best yet he only got 5 goals and 10 assists. Fabregas last season was injured longer had one of his worst seasons yet got 3 goals and 13 assists.

2) Fabregas contributes much much more, 4 goals and 9 assists in 7 games for Arsenal this season, almost better than Iniesta's contribution for the whole of last season. On top of that Fabregas is playing with inferior players at Arsenal, imagine what Fabregas could on if he was playing at Barcelona.

At euro 2008
Fabregas: 1 goal + 4 assists
Iniesta: 0 goals + 2 assists (playing more minutes as well!!)
Clearly Iniesta getting picked ahead of Fabregas has absolutely nothing to do with his contribution and ability but team politics.

3) Much better than Iniesta.

Hehe, you should have said that to all the Manchester United players after that evening on the 27th of May 2009. I bet they would have loved to play Lampard instead. :)
Lampard is miles better than Iniesta.

Lampard drives his team making others around him better. Iniesta is merely a system player, who only looks good because of players like Henry, Messi and Xavi around him at Barcelona and players like Xavi, Torres and Villa around him in the Spain NT. Put someone like Arteta in Barcelona in place of Iniesta and Areteta will be just as good as Iniesta with the players around him, let alone Lampard.

Last season for club
Iniesta (best season): 5 goals + 10 assists
Lampard (not his best season): 18 goals + 18 assists
Enough said!!!!

iniesta is a player you cannot measure in statistics.

the joy of iniesta is a voyeuristic one, it is a joy of watching.

watching him glide across the turf, watching him clip passes to and fro, watching him try to shoot.

the elegance is breathtaking.

in that respect, he is very much heir to zidane's throne.
Goals and assists measures an attacking player's contribution to the team. You don't get extra points for being elegant.

All you are telling me is that Iniesta is very skillful and elegant but lacks the end product to be effective.

Also elegant is of personal taste, I personally find Lampard every bit a elegant as Iniesta. Iniesta does fancy dribbles and touches which don't have much end product, while Lampard's laser sharp shooting and defense splitting assist passes with end product are every bit as elegant in my opinion. That's the difference between a true decisive difference player like Lampard and a mere system player like Iniesta.

The statistics are not of opinion but of solid fact, and it shows that Iniesta's contribution is many times less than what people think.

Home of Barca Fans