André Gomes

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Xavi played as dm for Barca for a while before pep era. Guardiola before him.
Pirlo perfected that role though.

Playmakers played deep and will play deep in the future.

Messi983

I always wanted to see Samper getting a chance in Xavi role, but Lucho sees him only as DM. Of course now we have more CMs than DMs so that's understandable but I think if Xavi comes back as our coach in 2-3 years he could also use Samper as CM. If Xavi will be our next coach I could see him using midfield like Busquets-Samper-Denis/Gomes/Alena from our current players with Rakitić (if he's still here) and Iniesta (I could see him retiring at his mid thirties though) being rotational players. But Busi will be over 30 then and we'll need to look for his longterm replacement if Samper's future will be at CM. And I think it's easier to find CM than DM for our system, either inside or outside the club.

Of course it's also possible that Samper will never make it here but I'm still a big believer in him (I also always believed in Roberto when most fans already gave up on him). But he needs to go on loan this season. In perfect scenario he should've already been loaned weeks ago so he could adapt to his new team and play as much as possible.

Also, I think replacing Busi when that time will come will be the toughest job that awaits us in the next 5 years or so (I don't see him playing much longer and IIRC Busi himself said he won't have a long career). We were lucky to have Masche replacing Puyol, it's good that Lucho has changed our system so we had easier time moving along after Xavi has gone and I have full confidence that Denis could be a very good replacement for Iniesta after learning from him for 2-3 years. I won't even talk about replacing Messi because he's unique and irreplacable and we'll need to adapt our whole system without him. So I think Busquets will be the hardest player to replace and that's why it would be good to use Samper as his backup when he comes back from loan to see if he can be that guy or we'll need to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

navidjaan

Luckily, we have a lot of very, very talented DM's coming up in La Masia. Of course there's Samper, who I think will do everything to have a long career at Barça, but there are also Oriol Busquets (Juvenil A), Jandro Orellana (Juvenil B), Nico Gonzalez (Cadet A), Alex Rico (Cadet B) who are all very talented. Luckily, all these kids have been inspired by Xavi and Busquets growing up.

Alen

Maybe he'll tear it up next season like Arda. He's sure looking as shit as Arda did when he came.

Total-Football

i don't know how he'll turn up to be .. i'm just praying it's not taking him a year to show quality .. it took Rakitic and denis two games to prove themselves as potential starters when they joined

Pepe Silvia

Denis needs work in a lot of areas let's not jump ahead of ourselves. Gomes has no idea how to play our style and won't for a while. We're gonna have to be patient with him for a few years. That's just the truth. He is a diamond in the rough far from a polished product..

mark1nhu

i don't know how he'll turn up to be .. i'm just praying it's not taking him a year to show quality .. it took Rakitic and denis two games to prove themselves as potential starters when they joined

Raki had a very good start but soon dropped the form, which gave him a lot of criticism in this very specific forum. Then he upped his game again.

You can surf through the history and check by yourself.

I love Raki, but I can't resist answering to revisionism and fact twisting.

Anyway, even if you were right, players instantly fitting to Barça is not the norm. It's the exception.

Until now I didn't see anything to get excited about Gomes, but I give him the benefit of the doubt to prove himself in the next two seasons (this and the following one).

F

Flavia

Maybe he'll tear it up next season like Arda. He's sure looking as shit as Arda did when he came.

Those were his 1st minutes in an away match for Barça. Way to jump to conclusions. He was actually good vs Sevilla, at Camp Nou.

Alen

Those were his 1st minutes in an away match for Barça. Way to jump to conclusions. He was actually good vs Sevilla, at Camp Nou.

It's a judgement based on whatever number of minutes he already played for Barcelona. That's all. Maybe he'll be great the rest of the year. I hope so.

Co0ter

People have short memories. It took Rakitic a while to gel in with the squad, he was very shaky at first and wasn't dealing well with being constantly pressed at all. It took him nearly 3 months to find himself.

Barcilliant

Gomes needs time. He isn't getting much game time which clearly doesn't help his cause.

These youngsters will have to grow into their roles.

Home of Barca Fans