After our draw vs. Villareal, is la liga over? (7pt gap)

Is la liga over since madrid has taken 7pt lead?

• Yes, it is probably over

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No, we can still catch madrid

Votes: 47 57.3%

• Total voters

dalitis8

Banned
for those still being optimistic, i would like to hear where 7 points are going to come from in these remaining fixtures?

mubfk6.jpg

Those who still believe that we can the league are either joking, or do not understand football.

Not only do Madrid have to drop 7 points, but we have to win all games. Impossible.

adil_909

the eternal optimist would say: draw away to villareal, draw away to bilbao, loss to barca. that's 7pts, and if barca wins their remaining games, we can win la liga.

hmmmm....... not sure it's going to happen though.

Beast

The Observer
We already have failed to beat Valencia, which is no big problem of course, but the effects of exhaustion and injuries are clear for all to see.

It's not an a valid excuse since many of those are human factors .. so if you do bad pre-season it's your fault not anyone else
it will affect the fatigue levels and you will have muscle injuries .. both related to a bad pre-season

desoe

Smell the irony here. In the last three seasons we always had those concerns that our squad is too thin and we're not going to make it till the end, then we did just fine. Now we bought Cesc & Alexis, some people suspected that we have too many world class players and we can't keep them all happy. Few months later we don't have enough players even to fill the bench.

I blame Txiki for this.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Those who still believe that we can the league are either joking, or do not understand football.

Not only do Madrid have to drop 7 points, but we have to win all games. Impossible.

:lol: The irony.

No, the ones who throw in the towel halfway through a 38 week season have either just recently started watching the game or are typical glory-hunters....

As for that fixture list...

They could easily drop points against Valencia, Bilbao, Sevilla, us, or any other team really. Not to mention they will also be distracted by the Champions League and the games will come at a time when fatigue will start to kick in. Comparing the 2nd half of the season to the first is pointless. Besides has anyone heard of a drop of form? Injuries? Fatigue? Goodness sometimes you really have to wonder how long some people have been watching football outside of Barcelona.

..but I don't know why I'm trying to convince people who believe that a league is over at the halfway point :shakeshead:

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
for those still being optimistic, i would like to hear where 7 points are going to come from in these remaining fixtures?

mubfk6.jpg
...fuck off. I don't care what proof you have on them winning La Liga, you will never ruin my spirits or optimism on Barca getting it back and you shouldn't ruin others either. Football works in different ways you twat. The League is not over and ANYTHING can happen. the UEFA Champions League final 2005 would be a great example. Even if we do fail to get them the least you can do is have fucking faith in the team instead of siding madrid on winning La Liga like a dumbass. As for dalitis, you should stop being a hyporcrite ;)...I'm off to the PTC!!! :D :D :D

dalitis8

Banned
:lol: The irony.

No, the ones who throw in the towel halfway through a 38 week season have either just recently started watching the game or are typical glory-hunters....

As for that fixture list...

They could easily drop points against Valencia, Bilbao, Sevilla, us, or any other team really. Not to mention they will also be distracted by the Champions League and the games will come at a time when fatigue will start to kick in. Comparing the 2nd half of the season to the first is pointless. Besides has anyone heard of a drop of form? Injuries? Fatigue? Goodness sometimes you really have to wonder how long some people have been watching football outside of Barcelona.

..but I don't know why I'm trying to convince people who believe that a league is over at the halfway point :shakeshead:

If that league is the current La Liga, with a massive gap between the top 2 and everybody else, then 7 points (a massive gap even under normal circumstances) is nigh impossible to roll back.

You are right to say that the first part of the league is much different than the 2nd. But while it is definitely true that Madrid may as well experience fatigue, injuries and a drop in form, the same goes for us, but to a larger extent, since we have a thinner squad, a higher average age, and many more games on our legs during the past few years than Madrid. More crucially, they have many more attacking options than we do (CR7, Benzema, Higuain, Kaka, Ozil, Di maria, Callejon) We have Messi, Asexis and an off-color Pedrito. Villa is out for the season (!) Iniesta gets injured every 3 weeks, Xavi is 32 and has been playing 60+ games for four years on the trot (this is the 5th) Messi seems tired, a bit saturated with success and so on.

Everything, absolutely everything points to Madrid winning La Liga. I am all for fighting till the end, but good old fashioned reason must come into play at some stage. Very often in war, a general (in this case, Pep) has better order a tactical retreat (in this case in La Liga) so that he gains an advantage for a future (more winnable) battle (in this case the Champions League) by preserving his troops (in this case our players)

Last edited:

dalitis8

Banned
The notion that we'd better fight till we drop for La Liga, is reminiscent of the disastrous tactics used by Stalin in the early stages of WW2. The Nazis demonstrated the same suicidal stubbornness after 1943 when they were clearly on the back foot. The results were disastrous in both cases.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
mubfk6.jpg
Possible, but unlikely, draw vs Málaga.
Possible, but unlikely, draw vs Villarreal.
Possible loss of points vs Osasuna.
Possible loss vs Valencia.
Possible loss vs Barcelona.

Possible draw vs Sevilla (depends on whether they have anything to fight for)
Possible loss vs Athletic Bilbao.

All games vs Espanyol, Getafe, Atletico and Rayo are certain wins. Bolded = most difficult games for RM.

dalitis8

Banned
There is one possible loss for Real Madrid. Against us.

All the rest are highly improbable scenarios.

They got lucky up this far, they got help from the refs. And I am really sorry, it is too late.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
If that league is the current La Liga, with a massive gap between the top 2 and everybody else, then 7 points (a massive gap even under normal circumstances) is nigh impossible to roll back.

You are right to say that the first part of the league is much different than the 2nd. But while it is definitely true that Madrid may as well experience fatigue, injuries and a drop in form, the same goes for us, but to a larger extent, since we have a thinner squad, a higher average age, and many more games on our legs during the past few years than Madrid. More crucially, they have many more attacking options than we do (CR7, Benzema, Higuain, Kaka, Ozil, Di maria, Callejon) We have Messi, Asexis and an off-color Pedrito. Villa is out for the season (!) Iniesta gets injured every 3 weeks, Xavi is 32 and has been playing 60+ games for four years on the trot (this is the 5th) Messi seems tired, a bit saturated with success and so on.

Everything, absolutely everything points to Madrid winning La Liga. I am all for fighting till the end, but good old fashioned reason must come into play at some stage. Very often in war, a general (in this case, Pep) has better order a tactical retreat (in this case in La Liga) so that he gains an advantage for a future (more winnable) battle (in this case the Champions League) by preserving his troops (in this case our players)

I'm sorry dalitis but this absolute rubbish.

I'm also not a fan of football-war analogies.

Of course the same factors apply for both teams, but end of the day the gap we need to overcome is 4 points not 7, as there are 3 of the points completely in our hands to take away. 17 games and 4 points and you want to convince me we should throw in the towel because Madrid had a better squad and a deeper bench? Please. Teams don't usually keep up such form throughout an entire season, Barcelona the past 3 years is an exception. If you have been watching Real Madrid this season at all you would've seen that they haven't even been as dominating as their point tally suggests. Their defense has looked suspect on a lot of occasions, and they had a lot of lucky breaks in some crunch games. This won't go on for a full season despite what many people what to convince themselves. There was nothing to suggest they will stream roll past 17 games without dropping much more than 4 points. Also the defeatist mentality of that 'we have to be perfect even they drop points' is pathetic to be frank. So now even if Madrid do drop points we're supposed to give up because we can't do our part?? Wow. If there was any Barca team in the past that I would put my faith in to drop minimum points in the 2nd half and turn their form around its this team. Also your logic for the 'retreat' to conserve for the CL is also very awkward and weird. If you seriously believe that Pep purposefully going with a weaker team or a withdrawn tactic in the League will somehow help us in the CL then I have nothing to tell you. Not to even mention that teams usually benefit from factors such as high confidence, and coming off a strong streak of performances to overcome knockout games, all factors you will eliminate with your awkward strategy. Besides the league is far from over.

You lot are overrating Madrid and underestimating this Barca team to an embarrassing extent. Its funny considering its a team many are considering is the best of its generation.

Capello's Madrid had a bigger gap to overcome, fewer games to work with, against a superior Barca side(to theirs) that was on a roll at the time with little signs that they would surrender such a lead before those final run of games.

God how I wish Capello thought like you.

dalitis8

Banned
I'm sorry dalitis but this absolute rubbish.

I'm also not a fan of football-war analogies.

Of course the same factors apply for both teams, but end of the day the gap we need to overcome is 4 points not 7, as there are 3 of the points completely in our hands to take away. 17 games and 4 points and you want to convince me we should throw in the towel because Madrid had a better squad and a deeper bench? Please. Teams don't usually keep up such form throughout an entire season, Barcelona the past 3 years is an exception. If you have been watching Real Madrid this season at all you would've seen that they haven't even been as dominating as their point tally suggests. Their defense has looked suspect on a lot of occasions, and they had a lot of lucky breaks in some crunch games. This won't go on for a full season despite what many people what to convince themselves. There was nothing to suggest they will stream roll past 17 games without dropping much more than 4 points. Also the defeatist mentality of that 'we have to be perfect even they drop points' is pathetic to be frank. So now even if Madrid do drop points we're supposed to give up because we can't do our part?? Wow. If there was any Barca team in the past that I would put my faith in to drop minimum points in the 2nd half and turn their form around its this team. Also your logic for the 'retreat' to conserve for the CL is also very awkward and weird. If you seriously believe that Pep purposefully going with a weaker team or a withdrawn tactic in the League will somehow help us in the CL then I have nothing to tell you. Not to even mention that teams usually benefit from factors such as high confidence, and coming off a strong streak of performances to overcome knockout games, all factors you will eliminate with your awkward strategy. Besides the league is far from over.

You lot are overrating Madrid and underestimating this Barca team to an embarrassing extent. Its funny considering its a team many are considering is the best of its generation.

Capello's Madrid had a bigger gap to overcome, fewer games to work with, against a superior Barca side(to theirs) that was on a roll at the time with little signs that they would surrender such a lead before those final run of games.

God how I wish Capello thought like you.

I wasn't saying that La Liga is the Eastern front. I was only trying to illustrate how tactical retreat is the far better option, when the odds are heavily against you.

Your optimism concerning the 2nd Liga Classico is bizarre. Is it that easy to beat Madrid when all they need is a draw? Hell at that stage, even a defeat would probably not really hurt them.

But where our biggest disagreement is, concerns the way in which you think that a positive league streak can help you in the CL. For me, the most important factor in determining Barca's level of play, is the physical conditioning of the players. Talent and team ethic are a given, the only thing that can undermine us, is poor conditioning. I will never forget the San Siro game, where our players could not press Inter into mistakes, and could also not deliver on the off-the-ball-movement department (the most fundamental aspect of our game) During that game, our players run significantly less than what they did against our successful QF against Arsenal (around 13% less distance covered, and I am guessing at a much lower intensity)

It is quite often the opposite to what you are saying regarding the league and the CL. In 2007, United were doing great in the Prem, and Milan were doing horribly in Serie A. Despite being a much older side, AC Milan totally annihilated United in the 2nd leg. My best guess, is that they prepared well for that game, and their players were not nearly as exhausted as the United players were for that semi.

Likewise, Inter, in 2010, during the 2nd part of that season, let an 11 point lead over AS Roma (Roma ffs!!!) become a 1 point deficit, so that everything was saved for the CL. We were going all out on both fronts, consecutive game against Arsenal, Madrid and the like, while Inter were playing their games at walking pace (if you can find their game against Juventus on the Friday right before the first leg semi, I encourage you to watch it, so that you will see what I mean by saving energy)

It is also my firm belief, that our 5-0 thrashing of Mourinho's Madrid in 2010, was mainly down to Barca being at an absolute physical peak. Not any streak or psychological factors. That level of readiness for a particular game, can only be obtained, if training regimes and diets are geared precisely for that game, and nothing else. My point here, is that if we can attain a level of performance of at least approaching that of "Kickassico" for the 7 CL games potentially coming up (6 KO games and the final, which may as well be only required for 4) then we are almost certain of making football history yet again. For that to be possible though, the league games must be taken very lightly, and the league conceded to Madrid and that clown Mourinho. It hurts me like a motherfucker, that Mourinho will take the league away from us, but at some stage, you have to be able to make some painful decisions. The same principle applies to war, love, politics and yes, football.

Home of Barca Fans