9 - Samuel Eto'o

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Various football articles suggest that Eto never forgave Txiki, Barca sports director, for the harsh words during summer. When reportedly, Txiki spoke of Eto in a bad manner and even said that Eto has "two" options: To leave or to leave.

Pep relation is different, while Pep did say openly that he does not count on him, when it was evident that he will be staying, he treated him same as any other FC Barcelona player.

3rd thing is money and the length of renovation. Eto will surely be asking to renovate like Xavi, until 2014. That could be a problem. Next is his paycheck. Which is, believe it or not, smaller than Henry`s.

I wouldn`t get my hopes up. Txiki is in charge of renovating contracts and the relations between the 2 is not good.
Maybe Txiki could explain first why we paid 18 mil. for Hleb, while we have a better player in Barca B. No, make that at least 3 players. Pedro, Sanchez, Jeffren...

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Various football articles suggest that Eto never forgave Txiki, Barca sports director, for the harsh words during summer. When reportedly, Txiki spoke of Eto in a bad manner and even said that Eto has "two" options: To leave or to leave.

Pep relation is different, while Pep did say openly that he does not count on him, when it was evident that he will be staying, he treated him same as any other FC Barcelona player.

3rd thing is money and the length of renovation. Eto will surely be asking to renovate like Xavi, until 2014. That could be a problem. Next is his paycheck. Which is, believe it or not, smaller than Henry`s.

I wouldn`t get my hopes up. Txiki is in charge of renovating contracts and the relations between the 2 is not good.
Maybe Txiki could explain first why we paid 18 mil. for Hleb, while we have a better player in Barca B. No, make that at least 3 players. Pedro, Sanchez, Jeffren...

You're right Bojan. That will be a bit tricky. Eto'o can be a bit moody sometimes, like the Racing-substitution incident (and some other statements he's done).
But don't say that Sanchez is a better player than Hleb. Each time Pep gives him some time on the pitch I'm not really sure what he is doing out there?
I mean (sorry), he would not even be in the first 11 in an averege swedish league club...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hleb is just not that good to take up space of some Barca youngster. And he is hardly worth 18 mil. E.
I`m encouraged though, that this season we`ll see a different transfer policy as Pep will surely insist on his selection. Frank was just too lax about the whole thing and let Txiki take care of transfers entirely.

Evil

Shabazz
Why did you refuse to pose with the Barcelona shirt?

I don't like players who kiss their shirt after having scored, while the next day they wouldn't hesitate one second about joining another club if they're offered a few millions more. For me, the club of my heart is Mallorca and at this moment I'm working for Barça. That's all.

He's been here for 5 years and won so much with us yet he still considers Barça 'work' .. some passion he has. I regret having made a video for him. Maybe Xavi, Iniesta or even Alves would have been better choices.

M.L. King

The Preacher

Well said, but we have at least 4 players, you forgot Gai. :) It was a moronic move from Txiki's side to go for Hleb. Instead of going for a better player we dissipated money on a player that will never adapt to our system. Another option would be to buy a player, which would suit us better, let's say Hernanes, Diego or someone else. But, the best option would be to promote Gai and Pedrito.

He's been here for 5 years and won so much with us yet he still considers Barça 'work' .. some passion he has. I regret having made a video for him. Maybe Xavi, Iniesta or even Alves would have been better choices.

I totally understand your disappointment... I felt it as well when I first read this article. But, then I thought, how I appreciate him being sincere. I rather see him scoring goals for Blaugrana and not kissing the badge, then scoring less goals and each time kissing our badge. This is his job and you can't blame him for not sharing the same fondness with Barcelona as with Mallorca. As long as he keeps scoring goals and giving his maximum I cannot hold any grudge against him. Don't forget, he was on verge of leaving Barca, but he came back stronger, demonstrating that on the field week in, week out.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Why was he taken off? Seems like Pep is trying to build some kind of authority on Barca`s expense.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Why was he taken off? Seems like Pep is trying to build some kind of authority on Barca`s expense.

It beats me. But, I agree with you. I've started noticing those signs in the Betis match, when I criticized Pep for his tactical blunders. Apparently, he has still a lot to learn. Why not giving a call to Mourinho for an advice or two. :smile:

Evil

Shabazz
The last person he needs advice from is Mourinho .. I thought the sub was normal, we were playing with 10 players and getting run over in midfield. As for playing without a striker. Messi is a player who is very capable of scoring so having him upfront was enough. Maybe it was a wrong decesion to sub Eto'o so soon, but I don't think it had anything to do with authority, if that was the case he wouldn't have even started.

Home of Barca Fans