7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Neymessi

I don't know how this myth propagated that he more of a LW than a midfielder. He has traditionally always been a midfielder at liverpool and excelled. Fucking hell EV is thick he was a dream and a perfect signing for me and EV has ruined it totally.

Givenchy

I don't know how this myth propagated that he more of a LW than a midfielder. He has traditionally always been a midfielder at liverpool and excelled. Fucking hell EV is thick he was a dream and a perfect signing for me and EV has ruined it totally.

I don't like EV but this one is on the board.. why did they buy an 'iniesta' replacement when its clear the current manager doesn't see him as that, is there even any contact between board and manager before we sign a player? kinda the same with Malcom, EV even admitted he didn't want him and the result is a player frozen out wasting a year of his career.. now, would i sack EV and keep both Malcom/Coutinho? hell fucking yeah but that doesn't seem to be Barto's plan, you either back the manager and buy the players he asks for and if you deem those players not good enough (Willian) sack the idiot

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I'm glad we didn't buy the players the manager apparently wanted, especially at the quoted prices.
50m+ for fucking william, most over rated inconsistent (he's actually more times shit then decent tbh) player ever. It's absurd, really no different to how mourinho plays or the types of players he targets.

I agree we shouldn't have bought Malcom if the manager didn't want him but he was an excellent buy in this market and has the pace, skills and attitude we need here. He's the only player in our front line with decent pace other than dembele.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Coutinho and Dembele were both insanely overpriced and I said all along it's crazy to get 'em at those figures, as the chance of them failing to justify their price tag is high. But many here were in denial. All that money spent on Dembele, Coutinho, and Malcolm could be spent more wisely if the club had better scouts and wasn't obsessed with Brazilians.

Ursegor

World Champion
He played 90 % of the time as a forward for Liverpool, why are people surprised?

But while Klopp is ready and willing to deploy Coutinho centrally going forward, that is viewed as an option rather than a permanent change of position. Ideally, Red Bull Leipzig’s Naby Keita would operate as a number eight in the team that Klopp hopes to be able to put together for next season and should he sign, something that remains an ambition rather than a foregone conclusion at this stage,

Coutinho would continue to play regularly in a fluid front three.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/how-jur...liverpools-starting-xi-for-next-season-126094

Also on Liverpool forums they had the same headaches where he should play:

There's absolutely no doubt that Phil Coutinho is an asset to this team. He gets into our 1st XI when everyone is fit and we shouldn't be contemplating selling him. For me I think some of his games will be in the midfield 3 but for the majority of the games it should be in the front 3. The Brighton game showed why Coutinho should play further forward (the same could be said of the last 20 mins v Chelsea also). He's a player capable of moments of true magic but he's not a player to dominate games from 0 to 90. We need be putting him into positions where those moments of magic are happening in the opponents 3rd of the pitch. Playing in the front 3 makes this most likely. In midfield he can only occupy those advanced positions on a regular basis if we are playing against someone who sits back and concede territory. That's a significant number of our home games. Away and/or against decent teams he can end up playing too much time in our third of the pitch. Completely negates his effectiveness.

Against better teams and in important matches, do we trust him to play in midfield or is he better off on the left? Klopp's selection tom will be very interesting.

I think he's better off the left, closer to goal, and I'm not sure he's got the right patience for a midfield role.

I actually thought we should sell him after all of the shite in August. Happy to say I was wrong. He seems to be much more of a team player now. I would also add that we look a much better team with him in the front three, I would only play him midfield in an injury hit situation.

Some didn't get the memo, apparently.

Ursegor

World Champion
And someone explain to me in detail how you believe Coutinho can replace Iniesta. One player had extremely low goalscoring and assist numbers throughout his career because he would rather keep the ball if a final pass wasn't 100 % certain and was almost un-dispossessable. The other goes on a dribbling and shoot rampage 7 times a game on the edge of the box like prime Robben.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
To Me he never will be, but people believe he can play a similar role. His main issues recently seem to be decision making (low iq player lol) and the longer term issues are his physicality and fitness levels.

He doesn't have the stamina for a midfield role let alone the understanding of playing that role and the intricacies involved in it.

I believe with time he can learn to to play in cm but it also depends on the system :valverde: employed and the players around him

There are so many factors that need to come into line for him to be successful here that it's absurd we paid so much for him without understanding this from a sporting perspective. Of course my opinion is that this wasnt so much for sporting reasons as it was for political reasons.

If people are genuinely willing to pay a decent amount for him we should consider our options.

In short we should either hire a manager and recruit players that wil enable us to play him in a strong yet fluid system or cut our losses and sell him. Either way we will be taking a financial hit.

Last edited:

Ascom

His circle is asking explanations to barça on why he hasn't been on the lineup.
He is very unhappy.

We need to sell him tbf, he is a world class player yes but he needs to be on a team that plays for him. In Barça that can't happen. He is not unpredictable and explosive enough on the wings and is not consistent enough defensively to play in the midfield. There is no way out for him.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
His circle is asking explanations to barça on why he hasn't been on the lineup.
He is very unhappy.

Would of thought the answer would of been obvious. He's been playing crap, Dembele is better than him and brings more to the team with his explosive ability and skills.

Centauri B

I think that Coutinho has until the end of the season to prove his worth.

If not, then we can sell him back to an English club for very good money.

Home of Barca Fans