24 - Thomas Vermaelen

CatalinR10

barcastuff: New Barcelona centre back Thomas Vermaelen, who is recovering from a thigh injury, won't be fit to play until mid-September. [sport]

7297_3688.gif

Gnidrologist

To be honest i think Barca's defense is more affected by how effective is the overall pressing. At least at this point in time. We aren't playing the style that we did in late 90s and early 00s. Seems that even though Guardiola's gone, his influence on overall style has remained and it certainly doesn't depend on ''marquee'' CBs. Basically what a lot of posters here want is replacement for Puyol. It will not happen. The team should develop tactics that adopt to the current players. Having a bunch of decent CBs, ''but not world class'' isn't really that bad for team like Barcelona. Depth is also a good thing.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
To be honest i think Barca's defense is more affected by how effective is the overall pressing. At least at this point in time. We aren't playing the style that we did in late 90s and early 00s. Seems that even though Guardiola's gone, his influence on overall style has remained and it certainly doesn't depend on ''marquee'' CBs. Basically what a lot of posters here want is replacement for Puyol. It will not happen. The team should develop tactics that adopt to the current players. Having a bunch of decent CBs, ''but not world class'' isn't really that bad for team like Barcelona. Depth is also a good thing.

Pressing against Helsinki :worthy: Whether that remains against better opponents for the whole season we will see.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I don't blame the guy, and I have abstained from commenting because I haven't seen enough of him... But goddamit, why in the freaking hell we sign an injured player?

he wasn't injured for 90% of last season like Vermaelen.

still think they need new doc's at arsenal
Since 2000 they are european no1 on the injury charts. in thiss competition they won 5 or 6 CL trophies in the last decade

Before Arsenal Vermaelen wasn't really extremely injury-prone like eg Robben, give him a fair chance because has what it takes to succeed (pace, technique, heading,...)

BBZ8800

I don't blame the guy, and I have abstained from commenting because I haven't seen enough of him... But goddamit, why in the freaking hell we sign an injured player?

You don't sign players with injuries like injured crucial ligaments like Valdes and similar.

A guy who currently has only minor problems, isn't a problem.

His current problems are not bigger than, for example, Messi's problems with muscles in the last 2 Seasons.
That is "a normal" 1 Month injury.

Ligaments and other serious injuries are the ones who can damage your career forever.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Just watched a Premier League players top 60 girlfriends and wifes and Vermaelen gf was 1st :lol: Anto would surely be on top of La Liga.

serghei

There's nothing wrong with signing an injured player if the injury is a common one. I don't think Vermaellen has ligament problems, and those are the worst kind. Let's just give him time and a fair treatment -- both literally and figuratively.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
It's just a hamstring people, it's not like the guy tore his ACL or an achilles. Calm down.

The league doesn't even start until the last week of August. That means Vermaelen could potentially only not be available for just a couple of games. There's really no need to go overboard.

Robbie

barcastuff: New Barcelona centre back Thomas Vermaelen, who is recovering from a thigh injury, won't be fit to play until mid-September. [sport]

Obviously. It was the injury he picked up at the world cup. Even then they were saying he would be back mid september. Why is it suddenly a surprise, when it was common knowledge before?

Home of Barca Fans