22 - İlkay Gündoğan

L

Learo

At the risk of sounding like I am just disagreeing with you again...

Vertonghen for me had a good season but was hugely over rated on here because the club missed out on him. He looked slow and had trouble defending smaller technical players movement/dribbling at times. One game I watched him in particular - home to Basle I think - he was horrendous at the back.

He would not have been bad in the ball playing/stepping out of defence to win the ball CB, but Barca have Masch and Pique for that. What really is needed now is a pure defender/leader type like Puyol/Silva.

Not another CB/DM.

Vertonghen for me was not as good last season as some people on here were making out and is not the type of player needed anyway.

Verthongen had a good season overall, at a great price and his value is far higher today. Will we make a move for him in 2-3 years for 50m when he is close to 30?

Why on earth dont we show any imagination in our transfer targets? I just dont get it. We were interested in ball playing CBs last season, able to play DM (Verthongen can play 3 positions), but no, we just ignore most good options completely. 10m is nothing for us. And Verthongen is just one of dozens of players.

Other clubs actually look in smaller clubs and leagues for their signings. Just look at the squads of the top clubs and see where their stars come from. Sometimes I wonder if Barca has some inferiority complex, like we see among the sugar daddy clubs who try to buy superstars to "make a statement". We dont need to buy big names at high profile clubs to show we are a big club. We need to act smarter. Our scouts are supposedly making alot of money, but no one knows what they are doing.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Verthongen had a good season overall, at a great price and his value is far higher today. Will we make a move for him in 2-3 years for 50m when he is close to 30?

Why on earth dont we show any imagination in our transfer targets? I just dont get it. We were interested in ball playing CBs last season, able to play DM (Verthongen can play 3 positions), but no, we just ignore most good options completely. 10m is nothing for us. And Verthongen is just one of dozens of players.

Other clubs actually look in smaller clubs and leagues for their signings. Just look at the squads of the top clubs and see where their stars come from. Sometimes I wonder if Barca has some inferiority complex, like we see among the sugar daddy clubs who try to buy superstars to "make a statement". We dont need to buy big names at high profile clubs to show we are a big club. We need to act smarter. Our scouts are supposedly making alot of money, but no one knows what they are doing.

Sometimes buying 'superstars' is not making a statement - every good team needs a couple of superstars to make the difference. But I agree, we could have a healthier transfer policy at times - especially for backup players that we buy cheap and our scouts think have tons of potential, but on the other hand we have La Masia for that.

Meitux

Sometimes buying 'superstars' is not making a statement - every good team needs a couple of superstars to make the difference. But I agree, we could have a healthier transfer policy at times - especially for backup players that we buy cheap and our scouts think have tons of potential, but on the other hand we have La Masia for that.
Well most of players that have big names and being superstars are cause they have been good in their careers so they built this name.But along with this build of name comes and their price higher.Thats why if you cant afford them there are chipper players that also are good but not known so much

L

Learo

Well, did the purchase of star names from big clubs like Ibra, Villa and Hleb really make a big difference? I am not talking about our scouts recommending we buy 18 years olds who we buy. I agree we have la masia for that, and scouting for la masia is very good anyway. But what is our scouts for the senior team doing? Why dont we look at 22-25 year olds ready to take the big leap? Kompany cost city 8m euros, vidic cost united 9m euros, chiellini cost juve 7m euros and so forth. I just dont get why ppl think we should always be looking at players from the richest clubs in the world with a big star name who everyone knows, which suggest that we actually dont have scouts doing anything.

Meitux

Well, did the purchase of star names from big clubs like Ibra, Villa and Hleb really make a big difference? I am not talking our scouts recommending we buy 18 years olds who we buy. I agree we have la masia for that, and scouting for la masia is very good anyway. But what is our scouts for the senior team doing? Why dont we look at 22-25 year olds ready to take the big leap? Kompany cost city 8m euros, vidic cost united 9m euros, chiellini cost juve 7m euros and so forth. I just dont get why ppl think we should always be looking at players from the richest clubs in the world with a big star name who everyone knows, which suggest that we actually dont have scouts doing anything.
From when Hleb was a superstar?:neymar:

L

Learo

From when Hleb was a superstar?:neymar:

i said "star", and he was a star for arsenal and was supposed to make a difference according to pep who loved him. of course, most players tend to lose their reputation after they fail with us.

but that is just semantics and is not the main point anyway. we need to act wiser and stop obsessing about the premmier league players or other players who already command a very high wage.

Last edited:

Meitux

i said "star", and he was a star for arsenal and was supposed to make a difference according to pep who loved him. of course, most players tend to lose their reputation after they fail with us.

but that is just semantics and is not the main point anyway.
Well it doesnt make a big difference,and in all of them that Arsenal had back in that time he wasnt the one that everybody was looking.I thought he had a good season with Arsenal in 2007-2008 only and thats why Barcelona interested in getting him.It was proven wrong..i dont know if he would be better if he continued in Arsenal but that season made him overrated

L

Learo

Well it doesnt make a big difference,and in all of them that Arsenal had back in that time he wasnt the one that everybody was looking.I thought he had a good season with Arsenal in 2007-2008 only and thats why Barcelona interested in getting him.It was proven wrong..

this is irrelevant anyway. he wasnt some unknown quantity from the serbian or russian league. he cost alot of money because of his status and came from one of the most high profile clubs in the world.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
This guy has extraordinary vision and a wonderful pass. We should atleast try to buy him..

puri

Sportbild saying that we are interested heavily in the lad. Real Arsenal and City too. Dortmund wont let him leave this summer, but if he doesnt extend his contract he'll come next.
Great player. Best midfielder in the CL last year. Only lacking in being a goal threat, which will improve since he's only 22.

SportBild, who has become rather reliable in sport matters, has an article today saying that both Real Madrid and Barcelona have already contacted Dortmund and are now trying to intensify their pursuit with Gündogan apparently having second thoughts about signing a contract extension. His current contract runs until 2015 and sport director Watzke admited that if he doesn't sign an extension they have to carefully think about selling him in 2015 as it's the last window where they could generate a transfer fee for him.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If they sell Gundogan this season... The traitor Lewandowski would surely leave for peinuts and the downfall of Dortmund would be complete. The best option for them would be to cash in on Lewandowski right now. I mean, Bayern or not, he would definitely receive eorbitant wages so he could even agree to move abroad too. Invest that amount on a decent enough striker immediately and they could convince Gundagon to stay too!!

Home of Barca Fans