21 - Frenkie de Jong

CatalinR10

just seen that Ajax won 13-0 away vs Venlo.

this can only prove even more that he was carried in that Ajax elite team and that he was a 1 season wonder.

we did PSG a huge favor dawgs.

Qqqq

If Im not mistaken , I think Gullit never rated him. And lately he got critiscm from Van der Vaart aswell.

You are mistaken. What he really said was that Frenkie wasn't showing his true potential.

"There are lots of stories about how great Frenkie is playing at Barcelona and I have my doubts in that respect," Gullit told Voetbal Primeur."I think that, in reality, he's not playing so well and that he can do a lot better."I'm saying this because I know he can do better. Frenkie has to play better.

KingLeo10

Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard is the most complete trio ever.

All Ballon D'Or level players in their own right and absolute alphas. Technical and physical beasts.

BerkeleyBernie

FdJ is a long way from being top level. Did not see at least a dozen good runs for balls in over the top. And, unlike Xavi, lacks any tactical vision. Xavi controlled the ball with the purpose of finding the space. This is a good example, 1 minute into the second half. He has a 4v4 on the left with a huge amount of space. He starts a lateral run to the right, drawing his marker with him. At that point, he should reverse and get past his marker and make it 4v3 attacking the huge space.

Messi, of course, is not helpful with his lazy movement. He could easily move into the space with the arrow to open up a passing threat into the same gaping space on the left.

fdj-space.gif

Richard.H

This guy I feel like overthinks way too much on the pitch and doesn?t have much freedom when he has to play with Busi. His performances here feel very restrictive compared to the NT

Richard.H

FdJ is a long way from being top level. Did not see at least a dozen good runs for balls in over the top. And, unlike Xavi, lacks any tactical vision. Xavi controlled the ball with the purpose of finding the space. This is a good example, 1 minute into the second half. He has a 4v4 on the left with a huge amount of space. He starts a lateral run to the right, drawing his marker with him. At that point, he should reverse and get past his marker and make it 4v3 attacking the huge space.

Messi, of course, is not helpful with his lazy movement. He could easily move into the space with the arrow to open up a passing threat into the same gaping space on the left.

fdj-space.gif
Excellent post, but he’s usually more high IQ in the NT. I’m guessing he feels more pressure at Barca is my only guess

Riordon

Frenkie is great. I still rate him as high as always. He is the least of our problem. The whole team is shit. We play a frontline today with Coutinho, Messi, Pedri. No balance at all.

serghei

fdj-space.gif

He's not. The problem is with the club. His only fault is that he's not a generational, incredible talent. He's "just" a top player. That's all. Somewhere along the way, this has become insufficient to make it here. I keep saying this because imo we burden our players with more than any other club. At any other club the player gets more help from a) the manager, b) the teammates, c) the fitness staff. Probably even more factors I'm missing. Fix that and you will no doubt see players improving at a faster rate. Or at least don't get worse.

I keep hearing this. If he does this, and if he plays this bold pass, the we can do this or that. That's the problem. To be great at this club you need to pull great stuff in sequences. As in, make a great first touch, hold off an opponent, maybe do some dribble, play a defense splitting pass to some immovable target (Messi usually).

That's not how it works imo, or not how it should work. At some other team you only require a great first touch and in that instant a player is already open to receive and well positioned to carry on, because things are coordinated and players follow a clear and precise set of instructions. What X, Y, Z will do when guy no A manages to do B. At Barca, some of those who need to do something will either not do it because they are played off position, or won't feel like doing it at that moment in time. And the poor guy on the ball will be left hanging. The result is this. At Barca, even after you gain a bit of space by doing something, you are still not in a position to play. Because things are not coordinated. They're a bunch of individuals trying to individually make a difference.

It's wrong.

Why is nobody appearing in that big chunk of space in the picture? That is what we need to account for at team-level.

Last edited:

serghei

In that picture you posted, Messi has no business in being there. He should be exploiting the space inside the yellow markings. There's 4 Barca players behind the ball and only 1 Madrid player. Benzema. Meaning your options up front are very limited. We keep playing as if we give the ball to Messi in deep and some magic will happen lol. What magic? :lol:

Look at Pique. No press on him nothing. Pass to Pique, have Messi occupy a more advanced position. Have Pique moving up on the ball (since no one is blocking him) drawing press, then release. Progression achieved. Bayern do this with Alaba non stop.

Last edited:

serghei

If you guys think De Jong doesn't have it, sell him to Bayern and watch him be the best midfielder in that team. :lol: Or Liverpool. He'd boss it.

mc_lovin

He certainly looks the part with the ball at his feet.

For me, the lesson from this game is that we badly need a focal point in attack, and Messi as a #10 is kind of shit. He just dragged Casemiro with him (who felt like Madrids most advanced midfielder today) and took pretty much all good midfield spaces directly (for himself) or indirectly (with Casemiro). I usually dont blame Messi, and normally we draw this game, but today was a bit much.

Frenkie should have definitely found one run in particular from Fati though.

Home of Barca Fans