21 - Frenkie de Jong

Vilarrubi

Only watched the first part of the first half before I feel asleep. Heard that he did rather well in the first half that Ajax supposedly dominated and that he was more invisible in the second half due to not being fully match fit and Ajax as a team gassing out. As expected considering their youth and naivety.

Same here, thought he was class first half... didn’t watch 2nd.

kilian

I agree it all depends on the combination. Kante and Fernandino are much better with certain players around him. Xabi Alonso and Pirlo were best with the right compliments as well. Few are like Xavi that make anyone and everyone better. Modric and Kroos are pretty good poor mans versions though, very adaptable for club and county.

Calling Modric a poor mans version of anything is pretty weird I have to say. He is the best midfielder of a past few years and a 4 times CL champion. He is not Xavi, but he is not far from him, to be honest.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I agree it all depends on the combination. Kante and Fernandino are much better with certain players around him. Xabi Alonso and Pirlo were best with the right compliments as well. Few are like Xavi that make anyone and everyone better. Modric and Kroos are pretty good poor mans versions though, very adaptable for club and county.

Modric is better than Pirlo ever was. Pirlo needed Marchisio, Vidal and Pogba around to cover his ass defensively for him to excel. He was really good at Milan, but not at the level and hype of his Juventus days.

Leo_Messi

Modric is better than Pirlo ever was. Pirlo needed Marchisio, Vidal and Pogba around to cover his ass defensively for him to excel. He was really good at Milan, but not at the level and hype of his Juventus days.

Not so sure about that at all. Pirlo was the more talented player and trophy wise it is close with Pirlo winning the World Cup while being one of the best players for Italy in the process. I much rather have Pirlo's trophy cabinet than Modric's. Many more league titles as well. Won 2 CL's and reached as many CL finals as Modric has. Modric only has CL performances over Pirlo due to playing for a better team than Pirlo has ever played for as good as Carlo's Milan team were. Pirlo moved to Juve when he was just 1 year younger than Modric is currently as well. Doubt that Modric will ever perform as well as Pirlo did in the CL as a 36 year old playing for an inferior team in Juve. Being a CL-final loss away from winning a treble in his final season in Europe moreover.

Pirlo was the better individual player and the much more spectacular player. Different player types though.

I for once rate the likes of Xavi and Pirlo significantly higher than Modric who I would put at least a level below.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

I thought he was great. He played as a sweeper hybrid CDM to a great effect. He is definitely Busquet's heir and can bench him in his first season with us.

Sad to say but Busquets has been a liability for the team along with Raki and Suarez.

FinBarcelonafan

I thought he was great. He played as a sweeper hybrid CDM to a great effect. He is definitely Busquet's heir and can bench him in his first season with us.

Sad to say but Busquets has been a liability for the team along with Raki and Suarez.

I agree. Busquets without ball is a big liability.

Zidane82

Busqs has been playing really well of late ...
His game suffers badly when he's got Rakitic and Vidal alongside .

Raki13

Maybe, but at least we got our Lord Paulinho!! :paulinho:

You still need that photo of him as your profile-picture from our bet, remember? :D

Dont believe for a minute they paid 50m for the guy but you change my pic all you like , saves me getting your emails everytime i come on here.

xXKonan

Exactly. I wonder when Valverde will figure this out? No more Rakitic and Busquests.
The only way we can put an end to that pairing is if we sell Rakitic or Valverde leaves at the end of this season.

Don't think even a Roma v2 would change his mind at this point.

Home of Barca Fans