21 - Frenkie de Jong

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Let’s see. The best I have seen from Frenkie; I don’t think Arthur can come close.

But let’s see when they both are here

Your takes are some serious tin foil hat shit man.

You're saying that FDJ's best stretch of his career was when he was playing as a CB before he got injured with minimal noteworthy performances.

Not the period that he was having several 8/10+ level performances as Ajax qualified for CL, multiple good performances against Netherlands/Germany, playing as one of the best mids in the Eredivisie, and now having played extremely well against RM.

Yeah, he looks "less" impressive with all that in his resume I guess.

Riordon

Didn't see any issues with his mobility in both matches against France. He was actually great in both games, 2 of the best performances I've seen for him. Weren't those matches after his injury? Man, if he was even better than that last year, before the injury, then he was a top 5-10 mf in the world.

Yeah, that’s was very good matches. But IMO he was even better before the injury. Check the statsbomb DonAk uploaded post 2 in this thread. He also uses to use his long balls more. Check highlights from his match against Nice 16/17

Sorin

Yeah, that’s was very good matches. But IMO he was even better before the injury. Check the statsbomb DonAk uploaded post 2 in this thread. He also uses to use his long balls more. Check highlights from his match against Nice 16/17

Well, last year he didn't play against anyone even remotely close to France in quality. I'm having a hard time imagining him being better than that. Against the likes of Venlo or Groningen maybe, but the difference is huge. What was the best team Ajax played against last season? Genuine question as I haven't followed them.

wisconsincule

I haven’t been able to watch every match but the ones I have seen have been similar to this one. I’m interested in how next season will go. Busi isn’t going anywhere so the natural thing will be for FDJ to slot into the RCM spot even if he might be better for us than Busi at DM. Who knows.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Watched the second half only. From what I saw FDJ wasn't breath taking or even impressive but here's my thing:

1. He was the lowest positioned midfield in his team and it happens often and I don't particularly like it given that he even played as a CB last year
2. His body feints are great and help him to beat pressure, Modric and Vasquez got caught by it
3. He seems to be relaxed in tight spaces, doesn't panic and manages to give good short and forward passes
4. He likes to play on the left side of the pitch just like Arthur, one of them will have to adapt to the RCM spot

I'd like to see him play higher on the pitch so that we could see how he does there. Busquets-Arthur-FDJ in current state would be a little bit too defensive. Arthur already showed that he's not afraid of going forward and playing great there, but he still would be a CM and we might need a more offensive minded midfield in that trio. Right now I feel that Alena is the perfect fellow CM for Arthur.

Anyway, I saw positive vibes in FDJ game even though he wasn't outstanding. Kid is still only 21 we gotta remember. I'm not worried about him. He'll just need time at Barca. :)

He was better in the first half, making interceptions, winning duels and had several really nice passes (one through ball and one lob pass as far I can remember). He was really quick releasing the ball and averted some nasty situations. He really helped contain Real Madrid's midfield and was the focal point in their defense-offense transition. Stamina could have been an issue for him and other Ajax players in the 2nd half as they pressed Real Madrid like crazy in the first half.

YodaMaster

He was better in the first half, making interceptions, winning duels and had several really nice passes (one through ball and one lob pass as far I can remember). He was really quick releasing the ball and averted some nasty situations. He really helped contain Real Madrid's midfield and was the focal point in their defense-offense transition. Stamina could have been an issue for him and other Ajax players in the 2nd half as they pressed Real Madrid like crazy in the first half.

I watched first half just now. And yes I agree FDJ looked pretty good. Did nothing really flashy but was as effective as a DM could be in this situation and speeded up Ajax game from behind. Showed good first&second touches and a mature defensive positioning. He did good for the role he's been given but I also feel like he has more to offer in offense. I'd like to add that he's a beautiful&elegant player to watch. Let's hope he'll play higher on the pitch at Barca and have a bigger role in the final third.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Right now he's been told to take a backseat with Neres, Tadic and Ziyech in particular being very attacking and dropping down to receive the ball too.

xXKonan

Donny Van De Beek also plays in a much advance role as a #10 and at times popping up in the box as an SS role as well.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Donny Van De Beek also plays in a much advance role as a #10 and at times popping up in the box as an SS role as well.

Yeah, I forgot him too. FdJ's role in this team have simply changed from last season. Barca should play him in a more advanced role and preferably get a more physical CDM like Casemiro, Fernandinho, the types Klopp and Juve uses.

Todibo is a possible interesting option there.

It will really help solidify the midfield while giving Arthur and de Jong the license to get more adventurous going forward.

I know people are in love with the Busquets profile, but there's a lot of advantages to having a more physical and mobile ball-winning CDM that's obviously got a good passing range too.

xXKonan

Yeah, I forgot him too. FdJ's role in this team have simply changed from last season. Barca should play him in a more advanced role and preferably get a more physical CDM like Casemiro, Fernandinho, the types Klopp and Juve uses.

Todibo is a possible interesting option there.

It will really help solidify the midfield while giving Arthur and de Jong the license to get more adventurous going forward.

I know people are in love with the Busquets profile, but there's a lot of advantages to having a more physical and mobile ball-winning CDM that's obviously got a good passing range too.
I always felt that if you have a CM like Arthur and FDJ/Alena you can get away with having a DM that might not have the passing range of Busi and his profile. If he's decent enough on the ball but provides the energy, and Physicality like you said it can work.

Real got away with Casemiro's limitations on the ball thanks to having Modric and Kroos in front of him and he helps provide the Steel to help cover for them. Can't see why we can't do that here either.

Arizona Scott

Riordan notices Arthur or FDJ not making lung busting sprints at the 80+ min mark moreso than he notices Modric/Rakitic/Kroos literally asleep on the pitch for entire first halves lmaoo

FDJ and Arthur do not have stamina issues and their output is as high as any midfielder in the world not named Kante/Allan/Vidal

Wijnaldum, bernando silva.

Common folks if he is 3/4 the player Modric is it is a phenom buy. Modric is a special player with special stamina. Not Xavi. but then noone else since him either, Modric or Pirlo is a close as you get to a controlling midfielder who was a continual stamp all game long. But as I showed in a another thread Modric has been taxed in La Liga (and CDR) way less than Barca midfielders the last 2.5 years, Real does give him rest between the bigger matches not afforded to our players, but then again Real has what 1 of the last 6 major Spanish trophies--which continues to get glossed over because they got a few breaks like winning a shootout, last minute goals by Ramos, and some other good fortune on the way (not that they were not good and didn't show some fortitude, but they also were lucky and if the breaks were even they probably should have won one or at most two CLs in the last 3 years).

I am fine if Arthur or FDJ give 75 minutes of superb football. Attacking mids and box to box central mids are usually the most taxing positions and wise to sub for, with a few rare exceptions.

Arizona Scott

..Real got away with Casemiro's limitations on the ball thanks to having Modric and Kroos in front of him and he helps provide the Steel to help cover for them. Can't see why we can't do that here either.

I agree it all depends on the combination. Kante and Fernandino are much better with certain players around him. Xabi Alonso and Pirlo were best with the right compliments as well. Few are like Xavi that make anyone and everyone better. Modric and Kroos are pretty good poor mans versions though, very adaptable for club and county.

Porque

I remember seeing a young Modric against Arsenal in the CL qualifiers back in 2006. He wasn't as good as Arthur.

Leo_Messi

Only watched the first part of the first half before I feel asleep. Heard that he did rather well in the first half that Ajax supposedly dominated and that he was more invisible in the second half due to not being fully match fit and Ajax as a team gassing out. As expected considering their youth and naivety.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans