21 - Frenkie de Jong

FC433

I think he should leave this summer and definitely he must leave next summer. The average age of Eredivisie is 24 and Ajax is 23. Cannot see him improving much really. Promising players at Eredivisie should in general leave when they reach 23.

Raketa10

I think he should leave this summer and definitely he must leave next summer. The average age of Eredivisie is 24 and Ajax is 23. Cannot see him improving much really. Promising players at Eredivisie should in general leave when they reach 23.

If they intend to play him as a CB he needs to leave immediately.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Blind subbed on and FDJ still playing in defense... Smh

If they insist on this hopefully at least it keeps his price down. I don't think it'll stunt his technical development in any way. He looks very comfortable out there technically, trying to get involved in the offense/buildup as much as he can.

Raketa10

Blind subbed on and FDJ still playing in defense... Smh

If they insist on this hopefully at least it keeps his price down. I don't think it'll stunt his technical development in any way. He looks very comfortable out there technically, trying to get involved in the offense/buildup as much as he can.

I really can’t understand this logic. He is not a CB and even after Blind was subbed on nothing changed...

BBZ8800

One could say the hype for him has been disguised by the fact that he's been playing at CB. Had the highest passing % in Eredivisie despite the fact that he strives to make difficult passes (long balls, passes between lines) as often as possible. One of the highest dribble completion rates too IIRC, read someone cite that he completed 47/50 dribbles (94%).

In a midfield position he has FAR more freedom to play forward passes more frequently and make effective dribbles. I could see the hype for him being a lot higher amongst casuals if he had been starting in midfield this whole time. He's already been touted by many as one of if not the best midfield prospects in the world right now despite playing CB.

In comps of his U21 games for Holland where he does play in midfield he stands out quite a bit. As if he can make any pass on the pitch he wants and dribble anywhere on the pitch he wants. His intelligence and decision making is clearly beyond his years. And U21 national play is an underrated indicator for young players. Thiago, Isco, Pogba, and IIRC Verratti too all excelled at that level similarly.

Edit: looked it up and his season total is 54/58 for successful dribbles which is 93%. This is an absurd number to me. Even the best efficient dribblers in football today (Messi and Hazard) only hit 72% and 81% respectively. Ofc it's not even close to being comparable because they play in much harder leagues, much higher # of attempts, and playing in much more dangerous areas of the pitch. But it still is telling in the fact that De Jong does not fuck around with the ball and lose it despite being a daring dribbler who goes on ambitious runs.

A serious question.
Is he really as good as you are describing him?

I know that you like technical players.
And if he is really as good as the guy from your post, then we should buy him.

But... No offense, I remember that you were writing years ago about Oliver Torres as the closest thing to our Dna, the best young midfielder, vision, the best control.
I bought your hype back then, I admit.
But you tricked me, lol.
He never turned into that good player.

Also, you had high hopes of Denis before he came and in his early days here, iirc.

So, is De Jong the same case as young Oliver and Denis or is he way better?

I don't mean to offend you with mentioning mistakes from the past.
I would just like to find out is Frenkie THAT GOOD or is this another case: the next big thing always looks way better than the last (the next) big thing (who failed).

I mean, from your post Frenkie sounds as a mixture of Ronald Koeman, Modric, Xavi and Iniesta.
If he is that good, we should buy him right away.

But please, don't trick me like with Oliver and Denis ;)
If he is that good, I will join #teamFrenkie, in spite of his age and a lack of physical strength, lol.

Last edited:

Joan

He's fed up with Spanish press. :lol:

[tw]1022246044908879872[/tw]

[tw]1022247374880681985[/tw]

[tw]1022248079284678656[/tw]

Raketa10

A serious question.
Is he really as good as you are describing him?

I know that you like technical players.
And if he is really as good as the guy from your post, then we should buy him.

But... No offense, I remember that you were writing years ago about Oliver Torres as the closest thing to our Dna, the best young midfielder, vision, the best control.
I bought your hype back then, I admit.
But you tricked me, lol.
He never turned into that good player.

Also, you had high hopes of Denis before he came and in his early days here, iirc.

So, is De Jong the same case as young Oliver and Denis or is he way better?

I don't mean to offend you with mentioning mistakes from the past.
I would just like to find out is Frenkie THAT GOOD or is this another case: the next big thing always looks way better than the last (the next) big thing (who failed).

I mean, from your post Frenkie sounds as a mixture of Ronald Koeman, Modric, Xavi and Iniesta.
If he is that good, we should buy him right away.

But please, don't trick me like with Oliver and Denis ;)
If he is that good, I will join #teamFrenkie, in spite of his age and a lack of physical strength, lol.

He really has a great potential but as we all know it's a long way from talented player to a world class player. If he continues to develop he could be a perfect DM for us.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
Ajax just wants to make more money from him. He is for us. Either this year or the next. And according to a pattern that my friend BBZ8800 said, De Jong is a player who has convinced a lot of coaches.

mc_lovin

I would love to see a 3-4-3 one day with frenkie :D

Ter Stegen
Pique - De Jong - Umtiti
Busquets
Arthur - Coutinho
Messi
Malcom Dembele
Suarez

Pique is probably not the right fit though.

Raketa10

It’s simple, Rabiot will renew, Thiago is apparently ridiculously expensive so De Jong is the only one left. We need to push as much as we can.

BBZ8800

If they don't want to sell him now, any chance we could agree on a fee for him for next year?

That could be something that works out for both clubs and the player.

Ajax probably thinks that he will explode next season.
And if we are offering 30 or 40m now, clubs will offer 50-60-70 next summer.

I don't think that this is only about keeping him in the team for one season.
Ajax want to milk as much as possible for De Jong and De Light.

Time is on their side.
No need to hurry.
If FDJ is such a talent, his price surely won't drop in the next season.

Home of Barca Fans