20 - Sergi Roberto

Adversus

I see Sergi Roberto is having his breakout season. Damn I was hoping we would get him before that happened. :)

Still glad to see him doing well.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Ah btw: People who talk about 23 or 24 year old players being old and done at the highest level or something when they have not made it yet at that point have another proof that everyone progresses differently. Guys like Sergi, Bartra etc. are young in fact and still in a stage of their career where they have plenty of time to develop.

Matuidi, Zidane, Valbuena all improved drastically close to the 25 year mark to name a few examples of actual late bloomers. If Sergi keeps it up he definitely belongs in this category.

El Flaco

Matuidi, Zidane, Valbuena all improved drastically close to the 25 year mark to name a few examples of actual late bloomers. If Sergi keeps it up he definitely belongs in this category.

Bad examples.
When they were 20-21, they were already really good (especially Zidane) and played as a starter for their respective club back then.
Something you can't really say the same regarding Sergi.

Last edited:
Matuidi went for 7 million euros to PSG aged 24. He was the least flashy option out of all the french midfielders that the NT coach was considering for the 2012 euro which he then missed due to injury.
He improved steadily ever since at a higher rate than his time at saint etienne. Late bloomer. You don't need to be crap before that to be one.

Similarly, Valbuena impressed rather late, no one would have thought when he turned 25 that he'd be the best french NT player post 2006. People are actually not coming to terms with that to this day.

Not gonna discuss Zidane whose best years have been in his thirties.

The point is, some/many players improve significantly more well into their twenties while others stagnate.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Bad examples.
When they were 20-21, they were already really good (especially Zidane) and played as a starter for their respective club back then.
Something you can't really say the same regarding Sergi.

Has any of there clubs been anything close to what Barca has been in the last decade?

Jombi

Both Iniesta and Xavi can be considered late bloomers tbh.

I disagree. Xavi was already world class at 23 as playmaker in the Davids-Cocu-Xavi midfield.

Iniesta suffered from being behind Ronaldinho and Deco in the pecking order, and would have been a starter in pretty much any top team in the world in his early 20s.

J

Jamie Cal

Ah btw: People who talk about 23 or 24 year old players being old and done at the highest level or something when they have not made it yet at that point have another proof that everyone progresses differently. Guys like Sergi, Bartra etc. are young in fact and still in a stage of their career where they have plenty of time to develop.

There are some attributes, particularly mental, that some probably don't ever develop. Hence why "Montoya looked pretty good in 2012", but didn't have it upstairs...and I fear Bartra will never have the aggression to be a starting CB.

Home of Barca Fans