11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

Yannik

Your argument about him not demanding a release clause being his fault.

Does every player in the World need to have a release clause now to leave?

Every player in the world needs his clubs agreement to leave as long as it has a contract there. If you don't want that, ask for a release clause.
If you don't do that, don't throw hissy fits because you weren't smart enough to do that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Every player in the world needs his clubs agreement to leave as long as it has a contract there. If you don't want that, ask for a release clause.
If you don't do that, don't throw hissy fits because you weren't smart enough to do that.

How many players leave through their release clauses and how many leave by asking their team to sell them?

puri

How many players leave through their release clauses and how many leave by asking their team to sell them?

Still. Why would Dortmund lower their asking price ? I just don't get it. Just seems like you're angry that you have to pay more than you'd like to.
I'm still pissed that Dortmund payed 20M for Maximillan Phillip, but that's what Freiburg wanted. We could've just walked away, even though Dortmund are his dream Club. But we payed. Because those were the only Options. Doesn't matter that Freiburg told Phillip he could leave for the right price, probably what Dortmund said to Dembele. What's the right price in that Situation ? The selling Club decides that, if the Player had an opinion on the matter at that time, he'd put it in writiting.

DonAK

1. Everyone who wants to go
2. Not everyone who wanted to go

Wrong answer.

Very few players have release clauses so it's moot the point anyway. Most players ask their club to sell them, some try to force the issue, it's almost always end up with the club trying to facilitate an exit because it's in their interest to sell a player rather than keeping him while he's unhappy. Dortmund can get a lot of money here, but they want to milk Barca to the maximum.

Barca can play the same game and wait a year and lowball them and make Dembele force the issue even more. What do you do? Keep someone who's very unhappy and could spoil the focus of the team or sell him for a huge profit?

Dortmund don't want to negotiate. They want Barca to pay their price or fuck off. Fair enough, but don't pose and say you tried to talk. Had Dortmund really talked with Barca and been open to negotiating, I doubt the guy would have skipped training. Most likely did so because Dortmund put a demand they know Barca won't accept.

Still. Why would Dortmund lower their asking price ? I just don't get it. Just seems like you're angry that you have to pay more than you'd like to.
I'm still pissed that Dortmund payed 20M for Maximillan Phillip, but that's what Freiburg wanted. We could've just walked away, even though Dortmund are his dream Club. But we payed. Because those were the only Options. Doesn't matter that Freiburg told Phillip he could leave for the right price, probably what Dortmund said to Dembele. What's the right price in that Situation ? The selling Club decides that, if the Player had an opinion on the matter at that time, he'd put it in writiting.

I've said Dortmund are within their rights to keep him, just as Barca can offer less money next year with Dortmund being in a position where they have to accept less money or ignite a fire in the dressing room.

puri

I've said Dortmund are within their rights to keep him, just as Barca can offer less money next year with Dortmund being in a position where they have to accept less money or ignite a fire in the dressing room.

I'm not sure about that. We'd have to see what the Situation is next season with the world Cup. But obviously a lower offer would be likely.

Devils

This isn't simple business anymore.

That went our the window when Dembele and Coutinho starting acting up and going on strike.

In reality, Dortmund and Liverpool have to negotiate right now on their asking price. They can no longer use the pay us '150m or fuck off' or they risk pissing off the entire club. If Liverpool and Dortmund deny these players a move to their dream clubs it will only create a poisonous atmosphere in their clubs. The player themselves will not psychologically be committed after they felt so wrong done by the club and other players will be wondering how players who desperately wanted out of the club will be starting ove them or earning far more than them and it has a domino effect.

Yannik

Wrong answer.

Very few players have release clauses so it's moot the point anyway. Most players ask their club to sell them, some try to force the issue, it's almost always end up with the club trying to facilitate an exit because it's in their interest to sell a player rather than keeping him while he's unhappy. Dortmund can get a lot of money here, but they want to milk Barca to the maximum.

So you are actually saying, players don't have to agree to release clauses, because they might just pressure their clubs into selling by refusing to play and breaching contract obligations. Nice...

If that's the case then I want to refute my point. It's not Dembélés fault to miss out on a clause.

DonAK

I'm not sure about that. We'd have to see what the Situation is next season with the world Cup. But obviously a lower offer would be likely.

I can understand Dortmund and Liverpool being pissed right now because it's so close to the season, just as we were when that little shit Neymar dragged his transfer all summer to get a loyalty bonus and market himself even more.

What I'm saying is that Dortmund don't want to negotiate. They should say it. Plain and simple. We want this much and we don't care about bids lower than that even if Dembele disappears.

However, next year even with a World Cup year will be different. Barca won't have the Neymar money and Dembele might ask BVB to sell him after keeping him last year. Then they either have to accept less money or convince Dembele to go elsewhere if PSG offers more.

So you are actually saying, players don't have to agree to release clauses, because they might just pressure their clubs into selling by refusing to play and breaching contract obligations. Nice...

I'm saying that it's a part of the (ugly) football business. Plain and simple. To demand a player have a release clause to be able to leave is just unreasonable and stupid given very few teams would accept that. They want to have some control over a player and not worry about some team activating his clause.

It also poses a problem where a player might improve in a way his release clause isn't representative of what they realistically can get.

BVB could potentially get 100m fixed fee now. Had Dembele's release clause been set at 50m, they would have missed out on that much money itself.

No team these days agree to that.

You can act all shocked and surprised, but it's nothing your favourite team haven't done.

Last edited:

puri

This isn't simple business anymore.

That went our the window when Dembele and Coutinho starting acting up and going on strike.

In reality, Dortmund and Liverpool have to negotiate right now on their asking price. They can no longer use the pay us '150m or fuck off' or they risk pissing off the entire club. If Liverpool and Dortmund deny these players a move to their dream clubs it will only create a poisonous atmosphere in their clubs. The player themselves will not psychologically be committed after they felt so wrong done by the club and other players will be wondering how players who desperately wanted out of the club will be starting ove them or earning far more than them and it has a domino effect.

Why risk the entire Club ? It's only one Player who is misbehaving. According to the Ruhrnachrichten, something like the Club newspaper, the Dressing room is angry at dembele for his conduct and expect an apology when/if he Returns and the Club doesn't want to set a bad example for other Players to follow. "just strike and the Club does what you want". The Situation is even more complex at Liverpool where the Club and the mangager publicly said that Coutinho will definitely stay.

Yannik

I'm saying that it's a part of the football business. Plain and simple.

and I'm saying Dembélé shouldn't blame Dortmund for missing out on a clause on his own and painting himself as the victim. I have no idea what I'm discussing with you about, yes it's business, I already said that although not in this context. Breaching contract obligations isn't business.

FC433

If that's the case then I want to refute my point. It's not Dembélés fault to miss out on a clause.

There is a term called "Mores" I hope you familiarize yourself with it. It is not always about contracts.

Yannik

There is a term called "Mores" I hope you familiarize yourself with it. It is not always about contracts.

Mores? Are you serious? Dortmund doesn't give you players cheap, so they are evil? Are you this entitled that you think Barca can just go around, randomly agree personal terms with anyone they want and then expect their clubs to let you tap them up on the cheap? This is not how it works, fortunately.

Home of Barca Fans