10 - Lionel Messi - V6

ebc_99

MSN wont be the same.

Messi is the best player at the world but he isnt the same Messi as in 2015.

Neymar could be the same level, he has reached his peak now with 28 years.

Suarez is a donkey compared to 2015/2016 Suarez.

Of course MSN will be very very strong but I dont this will be enough to beat the elite teams in CL.

Griezmann will be there as well, and Neymar is a better player than he was 2 years ago so I think the front 3 could be as good and I expect our midfield to be stronger. Man for man we should have the best 11 in the world, so it will be up to Valverde to get the most out of them, which is what I'm worried about.

eaman

How about conmebol come out and explain the refs decision not to check var or var not telling the ref or whatever way it worked for the two penalties. Also conmebol are corrupt. Maybe not in fixing results but other things so he is right in a way

Mitchell1978

Griezmann will be there as well, and Neymar is a better player than he was 2 years ago so I think the front 3 could be as good and I expect our midfield to be stronger. Man for man we should have the best 11 in the world, so it will be up to Valverde to get the most out of them, which is what I'm worried about.

Both Neymar and Suarez are lesser players now (Neymar mostly because of injuries and his offcourt issues), so no it won't be the same

Off course, lets hope Neymar doesn't come to barça so they question becomes irrelevant.

Ripsta

What is it with the utter cunts constantly saying Messi isn't what he used to be? Barcelona aren't what they used to be, Messidependencia has become even more alarming since 2016, the guy just had arguably his best ever individual season, one man fucking army, if he wasn't scoring solo goals he was tearing defenders arseholes apart with his passing.

This seems to have gone hand in hand because Ronaldo isn't what he used to be, plus he's just turned 32, apparently that automatically means he's on the decline. Fuck off.

Mitchell1978

Probably lost his mind. He can't seem to understand why he keeps being on the back foot, while simultaneously putting out great performance. The Liverpool game took the biggest toll on him, and after that he just seems extremely demotivated.

He was plenty motivated against Brazil and even against Chili.

He was right for speaking out about the refereeing, the lack of respect etc
Even tough i don't think refs wore bought to get Brasil the win but everything else about this tournament (logistics, organisation, infrastructure, the quality of refs and VAR) was set up for them.
Don't forget Brasil has won every Copa America on home soil so its not a new thing.

Tackle

What is it with the utter cunts constantly saying Messi isn't what he used to be? Barcelona aren't what they used to be, Messidependencia has become even more alarming since 2016, the guy just had arguably his best ever individual season, one man fucking army, if he wasn't scoring solo goals he was tearing defenders arseholes apart with his passing.

This seems to have gone hand in hand because Ronaldo isn't what he used to be, plus he's just turned 32, apparently that automatically means he's on the decline. Fuck off.

:lol::lol::lol:

Aye, found the die hard Messi fanboy getting with his panties in a bunch.

If you thought this was Messi's best season ever, where the feck have you been the past decade mate? It's surely one of his better campaigns, but this simpleminded trend of daft FC Messi fans arguing the latest season is always Messi's best ever is utterly idiotic.

Messi is still the best in the world by a distance, but even any regular bloke with two eyes can tell he doesn't have that extra gear or two he used have at his peak. I'd go back and watch some games from 2010-2013 and 2015 if I were you.

Ripsta

:lol::lol::lol:

Aye, found the die hard Messi fanboy getting with his panties in a bunch.

If you thought this was Messi's best season ever, where the feck have you been the past decade mate? It's surely one of his better campaigns, but this simpleminded trend of daft FC Messi fans arguing the latest season is always Messi's best ever is utterly idiotic.

Messi is still the best in the world by a distance, but even any regular bloke with two eyes can tell he doesn't have that extra gear or two he used have at his peak. I'd go back and watch some games from 2010-2013 and 2015 if I were you.

It's not, he didn't have an Iniesta, a Xavi, a Neymar, a prime Suarez, Villa, Alves zZzzZzZz, players to help him out, even Busquets has been getting slaughtered on here for most the season and he's the one midfielder who always looks to play that ball straight into Messi's path. Alba was pretty much the only one on his wavelength last season.

Between 2017 and 2019 Messi has been on a completely different level to what he was a decade ago. Less explosive, which is why you've come to such a myoptic view, but he's become a far more dynamic footballer.

The Copa America and Anfield matches seem to have left certain fans with short term memory loss, Messi has reached such a level that when he doesn't perform to the expected standard, he's deemed to have been shit, or lazy or both, not what he used to be blah blah blah. Sadly these cretins omit the fact both Barcelona and (in particular), Argentina, aren't what they once were, there's a massive dependence on Messi and it's been showing for a while now.

abbbs97

He is likely to be banned for 2 matches or at most 3 matches, not as much as 2 years as previously reported. CONMEBOL are yet to make an official decision though.
Good news as he can win 2020 Copa next year.

Lol no.

Of course Messi is still superior and the best player at the world but he isnt the same crazy Messi like in 2009-2012 and 2015. That Messi was too fast with the ball which stick to his magical left foot. Nowadays he often looses the ball and its easier to get the ball from him. So dont say that 18/19 was his best season ever, its just not correct.

CatalinR10

To claim that Messi had his best season ever is simply ridiculous. He was definitely better with Pep and in 14/15.

Agreed but scoring and creating so much at this age while carying a bunch of bums....he isn't as good as in those years but doing what he did last season is as impressive as then.

ebc_99

He isn't as dynamic or as quick nor does he have the stamina he used to have but that is normal for a 32-year-old. He is much better in other areas though, such as passing and decision making, his finishing is about the same as ever and his set-pieces have improved dramatically, so on a technical level, I think it was one of his 2 or 3 best seasons. If we had younger more energetic team-mates beside him then I think he could be even more influential.

Messi's problem is that Busquets, Rakitic & particularly Suarez are also suffering the same physical decline that he is. Neymar was supposed to take some of the burden off of Messi but then he left, Dembele has struggled because of injuries and Coutinho hasn't performed so most of the attacking responsibility rests on Messi's shoulders. With a younger midfield of DeJong & Arthur along with Griezmann and hopefully a fit Dembele, Messi should have more help next season. And if Neymar comes then I think it gives Barca many more options than just passing to Messi which made us predictable.

Mitchell1978

This was for shure one of his best seasons ever: 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 14-15 & 18-19 are his 5 best seasons.
Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't know how to evaluate a player.
He isn't as quick or as explosive like he was 10 or even 5 years ago but goalscoring, playmaking, decisionmaking are all still at peak levels.

Then you have to consider the quality around him, Xavi gone, Iniesta gone, Neymar gone, Alves gone, Suarez declined, Busquets declined yet Messi produced like crazy, scored almost 40 % of the goals, involved in over 50 % of the goals despite playing fewer minutes, took barça to a couple of games of a treble.
Considering all that, an argument can be made for at the very least a top 3 season from him and to that at age 31 is phenomenal.

This was for shure one of his best seasons ever: 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 14-15 & 18-19 are his 5 best seasons.
Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't know how to evaluate a player.
He isn't as quick or as explosive like he was 10 or even 5 years ago but goalscoring, playmaking, decisionmaking are all still at peak levels.

Then you have to consider the quality around him, Xavi gone, Iniesta gone, Neymar gone, Alves gone, Suarez declined, Busquets declined yet Messi produced like crazy, scored almost 40 % of the goals, involved in over 50 % of the goals despite playing fewer minutes, took barça to a couple of games of a treble.
Considering all that, an argument can be made for at the very least a top 3 season from him and to that at age 31 is phenomenal.

1. 10-11 Unstoppable Messi, the best player I have ever seen.
2. 14-15 Crazy good Performances in 2015, amazing passing and dribbles
3. 11-12 Goal scoring machine and fantastic assists

Home of Barca Fans