10 - Lionel Messi - V6

LMTR14

Contender for one of the dumbest sentences i've seen on the internet. Well done.

can't see anything wrong with that one sentence. there is a tendency to make bigger clubs/nations progress further in the tournaments cause they draw more viewers and thus create more income for the sponsors, and why wouldn't there be? idealism? lol

So, he has kept a dignified silence, despite numerous sly digs from ronaldo and whilst playing in a league with, by far the most corrupt, referee reliant team in history RMadrid and he completely loses it against Brazil? Just bizarre stuff. Brazilians have always been gracious towards him so why call them out? Yes, the calls vs Arg were wrong but I've never got the feeling Brazil were ever strongly favoured by refs, thought Jesus' 2nd yellow was harsh yesterday as well. Agreed with the rest of his comments though.

Leo_Messi

They weren’t gonna qualify if it wasn’t for a Messi hat trick. Argentina would have been laughed off. Y the world

What happened almost 2 years ago is no longer relevant. It is not the same Argentina team. While not impressive at the Copa América the team was improving gradually and IMO were the better team against the favorites and hosts (Brazil) in the semifinal.

There is no way that they are going to miss qualifying for the 2022 World Cup. The last time they did not qualify since 1958 (15 World Cups played since then) was in 1970. They withdrew from the tournaments in 1954, 1950 and 1938. Otherwise they have always participated in every World Cup, including the inaugural 1930 World Cup.

Even more so now when the best that CONMEBOL has to offer is a mediocre Brazil team. Chile's old generation is ending and Uruguay's likewise. Not as strong a CONMEBOL as before.

Half of the 10 teams qualify for the World Cup (the 5th place will play a playoff game against a team from the OFC, guaranteed qualification more or less before the game).

There is no way that they are not going to qualify, with or without Messi.

Username: Leo_Messi

:lol:

Yes, it is a random username. Means nothing whatsoever. I could have called myself Oleguer_Presas. Are you this big of a simpleton?:lol: In any case this is a Barça forum, last time I checked, and Leo Messi is first and foremost a Barça player. The greatest of all-time as well. I am a fan of Barça not Argentina. So there is no contradiction whatsoever.

Last edited:

Altomonte

Unless he can provide proof of corruption, Messi should apologize and blame his comments on the heat of the moment. He can explain that he said those things because he was so disappointed about the loss to Brazil and the undeserved red card.
We all love Messi but he cannot win this argument.

Tazim

Its weird that all of a sudden he has an opinion about things and speaks out.. doesnt fit him imo... hope he doesnt become a second hand Pique who's going to blame Madrid for la liga stuff or what so ever.. just be the goat!

xXKonan

I wished he actually had this outburst after the Copa Del Rey final where it actually mattered for us.

I mean I want him to win an International trophy but I care far more for Barca and Everyone knows Argentina is a shitshow. But this is Barcelona, we are one of the richest and most prestigious clubs yet we had perhaps one of the most disastrous ends of the seasons and the shitshow going on with our board.

Now that deserves a fucking rant. Can't believe he was silent about that but it took a loss vs Brazil to finally lose his shit. :banghead:

Tackle

I wished he actually had this outburst after the Copa Del Rey final where it actually mattered for us.

I mean I want him to win an International trophy but I care far more for Barca and Everyone knows Argentina is a shitshow. But this is Barcelona, we are one of the richest and most prestigious clubs yet we had perhaps one of the most disastrous ends of the seasons and the shitshow going on with our board.

Now that deserves a fucking rant. Can't believe he was silent about that but it took a loss vs Brazil to finally lose his shit. :banghead:

Understandable frustration, but look at things from Leo's perceptive.

Bloke has already won everything there is to win in club football multiple times over. He has nothing left to prove at this level and is comfortable with his teammates and coach. No reason for him to lash out here, having 5 CLs over 4, or 10 Copa Del Rey trophies over 9 is rather insignificant.

Conversely his international career with Argentina has been plagued with continuous failures, doubts, chaos, tremendous pressure, bad performances and most importantly zero senior level trophies to show for it. Leo should not have said what he said after the loss against Brazil, but if he was ever going to meltdown in public it was always going to be with the NT and that's exactly what happened.

Afromaticz

Lol Messi blamin Brazil for failing once again is not gonna change the perception that most South Americans have of him..absolut pussy move!

Marchisio8

Banned
can't see anything wrong with that one sentence. there is a tendency to make bigger clubs/nations progress further in the tournaments cause they draw more viewers and thus create more income for the sponsors, and why wouldn't there be? idealism? lol

Of course there is corruption everywhere in the world and even in those named locations, Iceland and Scandinavia not so much compared to rest of the world. But you have to be special naive if you think the world doesn't work this way.

ebc_99

Unless he can provide proof of corruption, Messi should apologize and blame his comments on the heat of the moment. He can explain that he said those things because he was so disappointed about the loss to Brazil and the undeserved red card.

Messi should not apologise, Conmebol are corrupt and everyone knows it. If you keep quiet about it then nothing will change, Messi's statement puts a spotlight on Conmebol and thats a good thing. The tournament probably wasn't rigged for Brazil, but Messi is not the only one who has said it, Conmebol can't be trusted and have a track record for corruption and therefore don't receive the benefit of the doubt with alot of people.

If you feel you have been wronged, and you have a platform to speak out, then you should use it, which is what Messi has done here. You may not agree with what he said but Messi is in a better position to make the judgement call and decided he had to speak out about the federation. Some people think footballers should be good little boys and say what is expected of them, which is what Messi usually does but clearly he feels it has gone too far.

Gari

Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay legend): "The Conmebol is killing football. Why they are going to sanction Messi, if we live in a democratic world? Without a doubt the tournament was set up for Brazil to win. The players should unite and boycott Conmebol." [la red via md]

eaman

Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay legend): "The Conmebol is killing football. Why they are going to sanction Messi, if we live in a democratic world? Without a doubt the tournament was set up for Brazil to win. The players should unite and boycott Conmebol." [la red via md]

He is so right. Conmebol are nothing without the players and fans. It would be a very easy thing for a new federation to
Come into the picture and all the teams join them. I've said this for years. If teams and fans don't like new rules fifa and the other organisations make just have talks and leave for a new organisation. Then these organisations would have nothing and these corrupt idiots would be out of jobs. If Messi does get a massive ban Argentina should start these talks with other countries

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
CONMEBOL has always been realllly shady. I still remember that referee in the 2016 Copa America final. IIRC isn’t Heber Lopez one of the worst referees and yet decided to let him officiate the final??

snowy

all var does is drain the emotion and the flow from the best sport there is. nobody outside of the pitch should interfere with the game, that alone is completely absurd! but at the very least like mentioned above the coaches should be the ones to make the calls. 1 per half of the game plus a second call if they get the first one right. and it can't take 5 min every time to make a check1 per half of the game plus a second call if they get the first one right. and it can't take 5 min every time to make a check

Right on. Think most coaches would welcome it hehe

Here's the previous discussion thread if curious http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/5181-Should-instant-replay-technology-be-made-available-to-refs-in-the-future?p=372962&viewfull=1#post372962

Home of Barca Fans