10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Ripsta

His legacy is taking another battering, people seem to enjoy it when he loses so they can come out and call him a bottle job, not the best in the world, not better than Ronaldo or Maradona etc. His lack of performance up till Brazil will probably cost him the Ballond'Or. Sad really. Best footballer of our time ruined by the Argentine FA.

snowy

He always seems to say the wrong thing at the wrong time - his PR skills are not the best to say the least. He is probably the most hated player in the world now - RM and CR fanboys dedicated their lives to hating on him since time eternal and now this season Barca fans who see him backing EV and head of Club de Amigos have joined as well as Liverpool's huge fanbase and now 200m Brazilians.

Strange world we live in.

Messirine El Chapo :2guns: _ enemigo público número uno

mesrine-public-enemy-1-527a91e05e430.png

coke

Quote Originally Posted by Givenchy View Post
this Copa was concerning regarding Messi. do you guys think the walking is pure laziness or could it be that his stamina is totally shot? he worked harder tonight and played much better (very unlucky with the post also) but looking at the bigger picture (the entire Copa) i thought he looked older than 32..
Stamina - always has been. People don't understand how much energy it takes out of you to receive the ball, hold off 2,3 big strong 6ft tall players and try to dribble round them/keep possession. Play football and see what takes more energy out of you. What Messi does or laying the ball off wide and going in to the box waiting for a cross.

yes - this is correct ...

ebc_99

His legacy is taking another battering, people seem to enjoy it when he loses so they can come out and call him a bottle job, not the best in the world, not better than Ronaldo or Maradona etc. His lack of performance up till Brazil will probably cost him the Ballond'Or. Sad really. Best footballer of our time ruined by the Argentine FA.

His legacy is not taking a battering, everywhere I look he is getting praised for his performance and his words after the game, he said what needed to be said. Don't worry, when Messi is retired then his legacy will go sky high, what is happening now is always the way it goes with successful & famous people. When you are at the top for long enough they will try and knock you down a peg or two, but in the end, he will be remembered as the greatest, I have no doubt.

El Gato

Villarato!
His own worst enemy.

Will be quite some uproar when Argies do win this tournament without him in the side next time around.

CatalinR10

Let's hope Messi haves an amazing vacation together with his family and charges his battery.

The GOAT :worthy:

[MENTION=21723]Pedro[/MENTION]

[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION]

[MENTION=17309]Vilarrubi[/MENTION]

[MENTION=22956]FCB1987[/MENTION]

[MENTION=16751]Devils[/MENTION]

Pedro

La Masia
Let's hope Messi haves an amazing vacation together with his family and charges his battery.

The GOAT :worthy:

[MENTION=21723]Pedro[/MENTION]

[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION]

[MENTION=17309]Vilarrubi[/MENTION]

[MENTION=22956]FCB1987[/MENTION]

[MENTION=16751]Devils[/MENTION]

Yep he needs to be in top condition next season to guide Barca to the CL trophy in Istanbul.

Leo_Messi

I don't care the slightest about Argentina's national football team (of course I prefer them over other national teams in South America and in the world as a whole) as I don't have any personal ties to that country. I likewise don't care about Messi's legacy either only what he does for Barça. Personally he is the best and most talented player that I have watched but I can't compare him to other past greats such as Maradona, Pelé, Cruyff etc. as I did not watch them.

However having said that Messi and Argentina have been incredibly unlucky in the past 13-14 years. 9 tournaments and 4 finals lost (1 World Cup final and 3 Copa América titles (2007, 2015 and 2016). If he had won just 1 or 2 of those finals, history would have judged him completely differently in terms of his trajectory for Argentina and overall legacy. If I had to make a guess he would have become the undisputed GOAT for most so-called "experts" and fans alike. Such are the fine lines between success and fiasco in football and in life in general.

However when history will be written, I believe that many will acknowledge those results and the fact that Messi often dragged clueless and weak Argentina teams with some very average players, managers and a completely useless and corrupt federation. No playing style or system in place, no sporting project, 5 different managers in less than 5 years, Maradona being the manager in 2010 (lol) etc.

Likewise there will be understandable criticism aimed at Messi as his standards (part of the GOAT discussion) are judged differently and due to him not performing as well as for Barça which is not strange given the fact that successive Barça teams were and are far superior.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/copa-america/2019/07/03/5d1c24ab22601d0e268b4572.html

He has 2 opportunities left. Another Copa América next summer and the World Cup in Qatar if he does not decline too much, does not quit the national team again and if he will remain a part of the plans for the future national team manager.

Anyway this was the third Argentina game that I watched (Colombia and Venezuela) and have to say that this was by far the best performance by Argentina and Messi but they did not have the marginals with them and should probably have advanced to the final based on chances created alone and those 2 penalty claims.

Overall a very weak/uninteresting tournament with dull stadiums, horrible pitches and horrible referees. Lightyears away from a standard EURO Championship IMO. Brazil did not impress me at all either. Would be comical if Chile ends up winning 3 times in a row.

Anyway must be a schizophrenic experience for Messi. At one hand he has been part of the most successful club team in the world in the past 15 years and on the other hand he has been a part of a national team that has lost more finals than any other in the same time period. Talk about a sharp contrast.

Last edited:

Pedro

La Masia
VVD would've been celebrating last night, the first defender to win the Ballon D'or since Canavarro in 2006. Let's hope Leo can win it in 2020

Home of Barca Fans