10 - Lionel Messi - V6

SG-7

Argentina were bit unlucky with this one. At least they have improved alot compared to the first game against columbia.
I thought they played a lot more attacking and created more chances than brazil...just couldnt put them away.

Messi playing so damn deep should be a major worry though...like thats been his position then whole tournament! I guess it makes sense since they have little to none creative midfielders.

Tackle

Don't worry guys, Messi was just saving his energy for the 3rd place match. :blush:

In all seriousness though, he was pretty good this match, but had a dire tournament as a whole. 0 assists, 0 goals from open play and one penalty goal just isn't good enough I'm afraid for a player of Leo's calibre.

Probably gave the Ballon D'or away here with his poor showing.

There seems to be a Copa America every year these days, so he'll get another crack at it next year. Don't know if the bloke will be capable of it anymore at age 33 though.

pregra

His best game by a mile this Copa. But Argentina has absolutely no luck at all. Oh and their centre backs are crap. By the way, how the heck was that not a penalty when Otamendi was smashed down? Not even a VAR check.

Saladin

Don't worry guys, Messi was just saving his energy for the 3rd place match. :blush:

In all seriousness though, he was pretty good this match, but had a dire tournament as a whole. 0 assists, 0 goals from open play and one penalty goal just isn't good enough I'm afraid for a player of Leo's calibre.

Probably gave the Ballon D'or away here with his poor showing.

There seems to be a Copa America every year these days, so he'll get another crack at it next year. Don't know if the bloke will be capable of it anymore at age 33 though.

Fuck. The. Fucking. B' Dor.

Only douchebags and idiots would use individual popularity awards to compare the sporting excellence of elite footballers. Any semi-intelligent person who knows football and isn't blind can see that he is miles above the rest of them, including the PR monster from Madeira.

Tackle

He should still get balon dor after that performance. Best player out there with alves second.

Iconic matches that voters usually remember either involve the player winning the match or at least creating a goal. Messi did neither tonight and nobody will remember some nice through balls or dribbles in December come Ballon D'or voting time.

His stats in general and performances outside this match have also been terrible and will be held against him.

Tackle

Fuck. The. Fucking. B' Dor.

Only douchebags and idiots would use individual popularity awards to compare the sporting excellence of elite footballers. Any semi-intelligent person who knows football and isn't blind can see that he is miles above the rest of them, including the PR monster from Madeira.

Aye.

Personally I couldn't give two fecks about the Ballon D'or. It's an award given to the player with the most important and memorable performances that also happened to win major titles. It isn't something to be used to gauge the true level of a player.

A lot of the reactionary Messi fanyboy twits on here seem to be obsessed with it so I might as well expose them to the reality now so they don't have a meltdown in December.

eaman

Alves was better than him. Didnt put a foot wrong

I won't argue with you on that one but Messi did a couple of goat things that only he can do. Alves is still unbelievable and would easily take him back now he's available. One of the worst mistakes in barcas history letting him go

Givenchy

this Copa was concerning regarding Messi. do you guys think the walking is pure laziness or could it be that his stamina is totally shot? he worked harder tonight and played much better (very unlucky with the post also) but looking at the bigger picture (the entire Copa) i thought he looked older than 32..

lol @ NOT betting against Messi tonight.

basically free money.

I used to bet on football matches for a living and betting on football matches rationally is a thing you learn quickly that it is a big mistake. This game had all the ingredients of an upset and played out almost to a tee as ARG were the better side, but in the end Foyth and Otamendi in particular are just too reckless, letting in 2 poor goals. There are far more easy, sure bets at 1.80 than this game was.

this Copa was concerning regarding Messi. do you guys think the walking is pure laziness or could it be that his stamina is totally shot? he worked harder tonight and played much better (very unlucky with the post also) but looking at the bigger picture (the entire Copa) i thought he looked older than 32..

Stamina - always has been. People don't understand how much energy it takes out of you to receive the ball, hold off 2,3 big strong 6ft tall players and try to dribble round them/keep possession. Play football and see what takes more energy out of you. What Messi does or laying the ball off wide and going in to the box waiting for a cross.

SeloBarca

Imo he should just let all this "win a trophy with the NT" thing go.
If you have a defence like that, and attackers like Di Maria that has a logg for a legg and Aguero that always performs like shit in NT, he will never be able to win anything.
Argentina has only gotten worse and worse since his first game with the NT

Letting two of the most overrated players in the world get 1 goal and assist each tonight just sums up this Argentina. Messi overall was average but he saved himself somewhat with a one man wrecking ball performance. You couldn't tell any difference from him in a Barca shirt tonight

Home of Barca Fans