Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnN

Even though I agree the team should focus on improving physically a lot, there is another issue. Some years ago we weren't so good physically due to our aging players but they did have a technical ability better than other teams so we mostly completed for top spots in all competitions. We know it wasn't enough, as results show, but it was like that.
Currently our players are technically on segunda level so we are behind every other team both in physicality and technicality.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Physicality and pace are quite similar terms in football IMO. That's how I see it, it's not how high you jump that counts in football, but how fast you can move with the ball and without it. And not just sprints, but also reaction speed, balance, how quickly can you change direction and so on. That's what physicality is IMO, except for some positions where you also need stature, like CB mainly, and occasionally 9 (but not always, look at City and Pool in attack, Mahrez, Foden, Jesus, Mane, Jota, Salah don't scare anyone with their muscle and height, they do scare defenders when they move though).

Indeed.

Kante as others have said would be better than some slow physical beast despite being shorter than Messi.

iniestaGOAT

Nothing against Xavi, but this challenge is beyond his managerial expertise. This job came a bit too early for him

In other news, I hate it how Buyern always devours everything good that comes out of Germany. Just read Nagelsmann's sympathetic comments about Barca, may be he fancies a move in the future (however unlikely) :D

For now, I wonder if a ruthless and tactful character like LVG/Hiddink would have been more useful in relegating the non-performers and steadying the ship.

He was behind tuchel, ten haag, munich manager. Eventually laporta had to go for him cause koeman had to go.

Anyway need to regroup ASAP and get the top 4 so we can forget about europa disaster.

jairzinho

Apart from a lack of physique, the thing that gets me with current Barca DNA play style is the over reliance on possession, along with this obsession with trying to tiki taka the ball in the net. Bayern are quicker and stronger yes, but they are ruthless going forward.

They are more direct and don't waste too much time getting to the goal. They score from the air if needed (Meuller's first goal) and they can shoot from range ( Sane 2nd goal). So yes physically they are superior but also their gameplay is more dynamic in that they can score from multiple scenarios, crosses, shots from range etc, headers, set pieces. It's a complete package with them offensively.

FinBarcelonafan

Apart from a lack of physique, the thing that gets me with current Barca DNA play style is the over reliance on possession, along with this obsession with trying to tiki taka the ball in the net. Bayern are quicker and stronger yes, but they are ruthless going forward.

They are more direct and don't waste too much time getting to the goal. They score from the air if needed (Meuller's first goal) and they can shoot from range ( Sane 2nd goal). So yes physically they are superior but also their gameplay is more dynamic in that they can score from multiple scenarios, crosses, shots from range etc, headers, set pieces. It's a complete package with them offensively.

There's modern football and then there's what we are trying to do.

Pepsbarca

Nothing against Xavi, but this challenge is beyond his managerial expertise. This job came a bit too early for him

In other news, I hate it how Buyern always devours everything good that comes out of Germany. Just read Nagelsmann's sympathetic comments about Barca, may be he fancies a move in the future (however unlikely) :D

For now, I wonder if a ruthless and tactful character like LVG/Hiddink would have been more useful in relegating the non-performers and steadying the ship.

You could give him more then a few weeks in the job before you make a statement like this. Think about the state of the team right now and the players that are available. It’s going to take a long time to right this ship.

BBZ8800

Physicality and pace are quite similar terms in football IMO. That's how I see it, it's not how high you jump that counts in football, but how fast you can move with the ball and without it. And not just sprints, but also reaction speed, balance, how quickly can you change direction and so on. That's what physicality is IMO, except for some positions where you also need stature, like CB mainly, and occasionally 9 (but not always, look at City and Pool in attack, Mahrez, Foden, Jesus, Mane, Jota, Salah don't scare anyone with their muscle and height, they do scare defenders when they move though).

Disagree.

Imo, this is another Barcaforum or Barcaworld myth.
Where physique has 10 parts and we pick only 3 of them.
The same as how Pep's football had 10 traits and we are now picking only 3 of them (mostly technique and possession).
Or how Xavi had 10 traits as a player and Arthur took 3 of them and turned to a Wallmart version of Xavi.

With physique, I often read this idea how you don't need height and muscles, but mostly pace and stamina.

I would rank it this way, you have three levels:
Level1: Barca level: where we have only technique, and we don't have neither pace nor height&muscles. Example = Yusuf Demir
Level2: are regular teams who buy wingers who are both technical (like Demir) but who have some pace.
And of course that this guy is an improvement over Demir.
Level3: but there is also a level3, like with Bayern. Where they have 3 factors:
1) technique
2) pace
3) but also height and muscles on top of that

You guys "see" only pace+stamina combination because Pep's Barca had mostly technique+pace+stamina and we were winning without height and muscles.
Pep is doing the same with City with short and weakish players like Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Foden etc.
But on the other hand, you have Bayern, who are doing the same as Pep, but it seems as if they won't sign a player unless if he is at least 180cm tall. They will sign shorter players only if they are out of this world technical wise.

195 Sule
186 Upamecano
186 Pavard
185 Muller
185 Lewandowski
183 Musiala
183 Davies
183 Sane
181 Tolisso
180 Coman

Barca:
194 Pique
189 Busquets
188 Araujo
188 Nico
186 Lenglet
184 Mingueza
180 Frenkie
----------------
178 Dembele
176 Depay
175 Dest
173 Gavi
173 Demir
172 Coutinho
170 Alba
169 Puig

Some of you always go into extremes and say: Kante is shorter but stronger than 99% of them.
Fine. He is a freak exception.
But in 99% of other cases, a 173 Demir, Gavi or Riki will lose arieal duels to 183cm tall guys and will often lose majority of duels (except Gavi, but again, that is an exception since he is combative. Look at others of our short guys and you'll get the point).
The same is: people often reply: Busi is tall, it doesn't matter.
So, let's not take extreme examples, the point is: Bayern and other teams are signing players who have all 3 areas:
1) technique
2) pace + stamina
3) height and some muscles to shake off the opponent and win aerial duels

So, Bayern will never sign someone like Demir.
And also, between two similar wingers where one is 172 cm tall and the other one is 182, they will usually pick the 182cm tall guy.

Those top teams are turning into NBA and NFL clubs where it is all about physique and short and weak guys are usually useless except 1-2 guys per team with out of this world technique or skills for a specific position.
So, all of those top teams are turning into teams who have BOTH technique and cyborgs in terms of physique.

And then, you have Fc Barcelona (I will point fingers to Barca DNA about this) where half of our players look like this: (and then you wonder why we look like kids against Bayern and big teams):
https%3A%2F%2Feverythingbarca.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1307297891-850x560.jpeg

sergio-busquets-barca.jpeg

riqui-barca-suplente.jpeg

** Someone will jump and say: you are stupid, Pedri is awesome. He just won a Golden boy award.
Look, one or two Pedris are fine, if the rest of the team is fast and strong.
But with our team, our whole team looks like a team of 11 Pedris and Puigs.
If Bayern had Pedri, they would surround him with 5 cyborgs.
At Barca, Pedri is surrounded by Busi and similar.

FinBarcelonafan

And even Messi is a freak of nature. 170cm, but was out of this world physically.

I definitely agree with the argument, that you can't be weak and slow without elite skills and even then it ain't enough (look old Busi!)

Birdy

@BBZ

I would like you to specify all components of 'physique'.
Let's agree that raw pace is one.
Let's say stamina is another.

But then it becomes a bit blurry
"muscles" is not a component.
You have to name a skill that manifests itself during play time. That's the definition of a component of the whole package.

Then, some of the components mentioned above, seems to not belong to 'physique'.
For instance, agility and change of direction.
Many technical midgets have that

FCMessi

And even Messi is a freak of nature. 170cm, but was out of this world physically.

I definitely agree with the argument, that you can't be weak and slow without elite skills and even then it ain't enough (look old Busi!)

even a young Busquet did not really have elite skills other than passing/through balls.

jairzinho

Can only hope that Xavi isn't just some tiki taka disciple. Would be interesting to hear his take on what Meuller had to say and whether he agrees that radical change is needed. Hope he has the balls to let Pique and Busquets know this is their last season. Should also let players like Riki and Mingueza know they should look for a new club.

Messigician

Thomas M?ller (Bayern): "Bar?a cannot cope with the intensity. Technically and tactically, they have it all. But at the highest level, they cannot match the intensity of the game." [dazn]

Spot on

Messigician

What a quote

Xavi: "We didn't compete. I told the players that today is a new beginning, a turning point. We can't afford to be in the Europa League."

Xavi: "I am angry because this is our reality, and it pisses me off."

Xavi: "Europa League? We have to win it, win every game and title."
Lord Xavi is shellshocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans