Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBZ8800

Awesome defending from both sides.

Luckily we have reliable defenders, a GK who is very good at saving impossible shots, Frenkie as a pivot, Pedri in midfield and defensively strong fullbacks, so we shouldn't worry about Xavi's tactics where 8 players are attacking the opponent's box all the time:

Xavi is giving me Lord Setien's vibes for now.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Awesome defending from both sides.

Luckily we have reliable defenders, a GK who is very good at saving impossible shots, Frenkie as a pivot, Pedri in midfield and defensively strong fullbacks, so we shouldn't worry about Xavi's tactics where 8 players are attacking the opponent's box all the time:

Xavi is giving me Lord Setien's vibes for now.

Same Setien who played with three CBs and 2 wingbacks all the time? Setien is the Valverde of possession-based managers. He made his teams play very negative football both at Betis and Barca. Xavi seems to be very attack-minded, complete opposite.

BBZ8800

Same Setien who played with three CBs and 2 wingbacks all the time? Setien is the Valverde of possession-based managers. He made his teams play very negative football both at Betis and Barca. Xavi seems to be very attack-minded, complete opposite.

Setien was hailed BEFORE Barca as:
1. Crujffista
2. attacking minded manager
3. total football manager
4. Barca DNA manager
5. possession manager
6. beautiful football manager
7. attacking football manager
8. tactical master
9. chess mastermind
10. a guy who's previous weak clubs played insanely eye pleasing football

Being a Cruijffista and playing with granny Busi, Pique, Messi, Suarez are two different things.

When EV was sacked, people were happy. They said:
1. no one can be worse than EV
2. we are going back to our roots
3. at least we will play attacking football

Al Saad would also fly under EV, I guess.
If Betis flied under him, why wouldn't Al Saad?

How is this (Setien's Betis, pre-Barca) any different or worse than what Xavi is doing with Al Saad?

On paper, Setie looked amazing, a tactical genius, Cruijff's brother, chess mastermind and a coach who has proven in La Liga that he can play spectacular Barca DNA-based football.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
1. Crujffista
4. Barca DNA manager
5. possession manager
8. tactical master
9. chess mastermind

Being a Cruijffista and playing with granny Busi, Pique, Messi, Suarez are two different things.

When EV was sacked, people were happy. They said:
1. no one can be worse than EV
2. we are going back to our roots
3. at least we will play attacking football

Al Saad would also fly under EV, I guess.
If Betis flied under him, why wouldn't Al Saad?

How is this (Setien's Betis, pre-Barca) any different or worse than what Xavi is doing with Al Saad?

On paper, Setie looked amazing, a tactical genius, Cruijff's brother, chess mastermind and a coach who has proven in La Liga that he can play spectacular Barca DNA-based football.

You didn't pay enough attention to Setien back then. I was saying before he was appointed that he is a negative manager. His main characteristics at Betis were possession for possession's sake, a back five and a low number of generated chances. Can't find the thread where I said it though

serghei

Now all of a sudden Setien being brought into a mess of a season is supposed to be relevant in the Xavi situation :lol:?

Everybody knows what happened there. Guy and his staff came with an attitude (especially Sarabia who hated the laziness of our players), rubbed the veterans the wrong way and they were done. No serious argument can be made regarding Setien's tenure, except that he had a weak personality.

Last edited:

Windhook

Wouldn't expect from Xavi to be this defensive mastermind anyway. The selfless style of play of Al Sadd is noticable, players constantly look for the open teammate. I'm impressed he managed to instill the Cruyff philosophy on a squad composed mainly of local Qatari players. Afif and al-Haydos are quality players that can play on mid-European level with ease. Also it's not a coincidence that Qatar are reigning Asia champions and the squad's backbone is made of Al Sadd players.

khaled_a_d

Now all of a sudden Setien being brought into a mess of a season is supposed to be relevant in the Xavi situation :lol:?

Everybody knows what happened there. Guy and his staff came with an attitude (especially Sarabia who hated the laziness of our players), rubbed the veterans the wrong way and they were done. No serious argument can be made regarding Setien's tenure, except that he had a weak personality.

By everybody you mean those who believed he will be improvement and his failure is just didn't fit their narrative?
This sounds a bs, I am not sure who is everybody you are talking about, the guy was below mediocre coach who failed to convince clubs he tried to coach in Brazil and was getter ready to coach a mediocre club in Egypt. This is what everybody knows.
Edit: Regarding Xavi, I see what bbz mean, people had obsession with any coach who shows nice passing, before Setien it was Sampaoli and Paco and they finally got their wish with Setien. Xavi has something over those guys and it is his legacy as a player. That respect is important

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Wouldn't expect from Xavi to be this defensive mastermind anyway. The selfless style of play of Al Sadd is noticable, players constantly look for the open teammate. I'm impressed he managed to instill the Cruyff philosophy on a squad composed mainly of local Qatari players. Afif and al-Haydos are quality players that can play on mid-European level with ease. Also it's not a coincidence that Qatar are reigning Asia champions and the squad's backbone is made of Al Sadd players.

I mean Qatar is a powerhouse in Asia now, so why aren't AlSadd?
I mean same thing happened in Africa, we were dominant in Africa and half of the team were from one club, and they dominated in African CL.
ALsadd not doing well there is big red flag.
Also, there is bad defense, and there is that 1st and 3rd goals, that is bs defense and bad coaching.
Xavi will need a high profile assistant that coach defense to stand a chance

Andresito

Staff member
1. Crujffista
4. Barca DNA manager
5. possession manager
8. tactical master
9. chess mastermind

How do you come up with these :lol:

serghei

By everybody you mean those who believed he will be improvement and his failure is just didn't fit their narrative?
This sounds a bs, I am not sure who is everybody you are talking about, the guy was below mediocre coach who failed to convince clubs he tried to coach in Brazil and was getter ready to coach a mediocre club in Egypt. This is what everybody knows.
Edit: Regarding Xavi, I see what bbz mean, people had obsession with any coach who shows nice passing, before Setien it was Sampaoli and Paco and they finally got their wish with Setien. Xavi has something over those guys and it is his legacy as a player. That respect is important

He improved our points tally compared with EV. EV made 40 points in 20 games, and Setien 42. Yes, he is a mediocre coach, put in an impossible situation. I think your memory is playing tricks on you, don't think people were ecstatic and filled with confidence with Setien's naming.

I said he won't last and that he'd end up being a scapegoat and will be dicked by the veterans, and he was exactly that.

Xavi situation is completely different, as is the situation at the club. Sampaoli and Paco (I presume Jemez) were thrown around for banter. Nobody seriously wanted those guys.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He improved our points tally compared with EV. EV made 40 points in 20 games, and Setien 42. Yes, he is a mediocre coach, put in an impossible situation. I think your memory is playing tricks on you, don't think people were ecstatic and filled with confidence with Setien's naming.

I said he won't last and that he'd end up being a scapegoat and will be dicked by the veterans, and he was exactly that.

Xavi situation is completely different, as is the situation at the club. Sampaoli and Paco (I presume Jemez) were thrown around for banter. Nobody seriously wanted those guys.

Go to his thread and look there, people positive opinion of Setien is very well documented, including yours.

Windhook

I mean Qatar is a powerhouse in Asia now, so why aren't AlSadd?

Club football is different than international one. AFC Champions League is dominated by South Korean, Saudi and Japanese clubs for decades now and most of them rely on foreign players to make the difference.

Egypt national team dominated African Cup of Nations, 3 times back to back champions and still couldn't qualify to the World Cup during the period. Why was that? Didn't make sense back then.

serghei

Go to his thread and look there, people positive opinion of Setien is very well documented, including yours.

Must be selecting only the posts that suit you and not the posts that don't then. If you look at the big picture, I underlined many of the negative things that could have happened with Setien and did:

- he will be turned a scapegoat by stepping into a mess: check
- he will run into trouble with the veterans because he wasn't a big name: check
- said he'll match EV point total in La Liga that season: check:

He failed big time in CL, but then so did EV with a better team and full seasons.

For me, he was a transition manager for a short while until further notice. In truth, he wasn't given a proper shot, but it's true that he probably wasn't good enough to deserve one anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans