Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Barca B? Come on... it's absurd. Laporta is probably worried about naming Xavi because he is maybe hoping for a big manager to become available. It is true that ideally, we'd need a premier proven name right now.

But proven mediocrity or average-ness is the worst we can aim for.

Not an ideal scenario for a rookie so to speak.

I mean can you honestly blame them? I was initially in favour of Xavi despite only coaching in Qatar, but he comes across as a bit entitled.

Xabi Alonso wasn't as good as Xavi, but was a damn good player in his prime and learned from various coaches in his playing days. He still took the job as Real Sociedad's B team manager.

Zidane took over Castilla.

So did Pep taking over Barca B. So did Lucho.

I'm not saying he has to take over Barca B, but perhaps a team in the BuLi or some other European team? He's mostly in Qatar for the money, I think we all can see that. We don't know if his methodology and tactical nous as a manager is good enough unless he proves it or tries it out in an environment he want to coach. In Europe.

It's a fair take by them if that's their concern.

serghei

I hope Laporta has in plan to bring a big name that would make the fans go crazy with enthusiasm if he's snubbing Xavi. Then, yes, it would be worth it.

khaled_a_d

Laporta will try to convince Pep to come back next year or in 2023 when his City contract expires. If he won't want to return then he'll give a job to Xavi.

A lot could change between now and then tbh.
Koeman might have a great success next season and earn another few years.
A top candidate might emerge, I mean I doubt if a guy like Klopp decide his time is over with Liverpool (like he did with his previous 2 clubs) that we won't go for him before Xavi.
Maybe a new manager will have a great season and we would go for him.

This is the risk you take when you turn Barca down.
As I said, Koeman thought he deserves a better situation in 2003 and turned us down, only to his career go down from there and we went up.
Xavi is taking a risk, and he knows it

serghei

Xavi is young, he's probably not in a very desperate state to coach Barca right now. And Barca is not desperate to get Xavi either. In a way it makes sense on both ends to act this way. The problem with Barca is that if it's not someone like Xavi, they need to bring in an A-lister. Someone from the top 5-6 managers.

That's a tough job.

Bobo32

I mean can you honestly blame them? I was initially in favour of Xavi despite only coaching in Qatar, but he comes across as a bit entitled.

Xabi Alonso wasn't as good as Xavi, but was a damn good player in his prime and learned from various coaches in his playing days. He still took the job as Real Sociedad's B team manager.

Zidane took over Castilla.

So did Pep taking over Barca B. So did Lucho.

I'm not saying he has to take over Barca B, but perhaps a team in the BuLi or some other European team? He's mostly in Qatar for the money, I think we all can see that. We don't know if his methodology and tactical nous as a manager is good enough unless he proves it or tries it out in an environment he want to coach. In Europe.

It's a fair take by them if that's their concern.

None of them was playing in Qatar when they retired though.
I know nothing about the situation at that club or that continent but surely it's higher level than a B-team playing in the 3rd tier of spanish football.

There are positives with taking the B team first, as it is low demanding and allows you to try some ideas and it let's you know the club and the youth players and the club gets to know you - but the club already knows Xavi and Xavi already knows the club!

If he is ever good enough to coach Barcelona, the club should know it now. Then it's all about when it's the right time to enter.

Joan

How come? It's still football. You can see what he's about in terms of ideas. If you prefer to name a manager with more experience fine, but I have question marks about this being very relevant. The only managers where experience is really a big plus for Barca, are in high demand very fast.

The only high-demand experienced manager available atm is Conte. Who is a cut above the managers we have named recently. And he has a habit of making enemies at every club, which ends up with him leaving after 2 seasons tops.

Obviously football isn't the same wherever you go. The level of the game varies a lot. Some ideas which worked in Europe back in the day and are now obsolete, still manage to stand out in lesser leagues. That's how some big-name coaches proven outdated in Europe stay relevant in Asia. Or in international football. It's not the same and it's a bigger risk trusting a coach with that background than the one coaching in Europe. Redundant to mention it's not all about ideas and coaches gain skills they'll need by working in a similar environment.

All that aside, of course one can trust a completely unproven coach, but with Xavi showing no intention to help his case, can't say I feel bad for him.

Edit: one more thing; plenty of concerns about the style Barca needs to cherish. Is it outdated, can it work, is Xavi stuck in the past... wouldn't be surprised if Laporta had that on mind too.

Last edited:

serghei

Of course, maybe Laporta names a relatively low experience manager not named Xavi, like Pimienta, and he's a massive success. Ball in his court and he better get it right whatever he does, because it is a massive pivotal point of his entire tenure. It could make or break the new Barca. The best bet is to go after a big name and convince him to join, Guardiola is the best of the best, with the big germans right after. Almost guaranteed success in 2-3 years imo.

khaled_a_d

Xavi is young, he's probably not in a very desperate state to coach Barca right now. And Barca is not desperate to get Xavi either. In a way it makes sense on both ends to act this way. The problem with Barca is that if it's not someone like Xavi, they need to bring in an A-lister. Someone from the top 5-6 managers.

That's a tough job.

Nah, we had interest in Nagelsmann over Xavi and he is far from A-list. He was a coach ready for the next step.
Laporta isn't really attached to Barca past history with coaches either. When he came here he negotiated with 3 coach: Hiddink then Koeman and then Rijkaard. Koeman was like Ten Hag right now but one decade younger so it wasn't just Barca link to him.

He brought Pep, but only after strong recommendation from Txiki and Crujif.

Right now, non in Laporta's team will be recommending Xavi like Txiki did with Pep.
I won't be surprised if Xavi is way down the list more than you think.

Birdy

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION]

Things have changed massively since 2003 and 2008.
Failed bets are more costly now, and the margin of experimenting is non-existing.

People like parallels too much, and don't see that Pep is a genius of 'once in a 100 years' magnitude.

Needless to say, ideas worked out in Qatar are so low-level and so insufficiently tested that it's criminal to base any decision on that

As for your assumption that Barca B would be ok for Xavi before Barca, I think that's a faulty assumption.
The same rationale used against Xavi's appointment (his non experience) was used also against Pimienta's appointments, despite his success at Barca B.

If Xavi does not go out in Europe to prove things, he will never see the Barca bench under Laporta.
And that's good news.

No, he comes across as SUPER entitled, and that's disrespectful IMO

Laporta will try to convince Pep to come back next year or in 2023 when his City contract expires. If he won't want to return then he'll give a job to Xavi.

I think that is true, at least evidence so far suggests so.

It was evident since some time that Flick is out of the picture, and Nagelsman has agreed with Bayern since April.
It's evident that Laporta waited until the CL final to renew Koeman, having in mind just Pep, and the possible phone call to him after he wins it.
Which sounds so messed up to me.
Because of that delay we lost Winaldum.

I don't think Pep will leave before 2023 even if he wins CL with City earlier.
Hope Laporta convinces him in 2023 to join, but the planning should be better: there should be top names as plan B and C.

Messi983

A lot could change between now and then tbh.
Koeman might have a great success next season and earn another few years.
A top candidate might emerge, I mean I doubt if a guy like Klopp decide his time is over with Liverpool (like he did with his previous 2 clubs) that we won't go for him before Xavi.
Maybe a new manager will have a great season and we would go for him.

This is the risk you take when you turn Barca down.
As I said, Koeman thought he deserves a better situation in 2003 and turned us down, only to his career go down from there and we went up.
Xavi is taking a risk, and he knows it

True. Just think this is what Laporta's plan is right now.

Xavi's situation is different then that of other "outside" coaches imo so he could afford to reject us. He knows he'll always be on a shortlist of Barca future coaches, whether in 2, 5 or 10 years he'll get a chance eventually.

serghei

Nah, we had interest in Nagelsmann over Xavi and he is far from A-list. He was a coach ready for the next step.
Laporta isn't really attached to Barca past history with coaches either. When he came here he negotiated with 3 coach: Hiddink then Koeman and then Rijkaard. Koeman was like Ten Hag right now but one decade younger so it wasn't just Barca link to him.

He brought Pep, but only after strong recommendation from Txiki and Crujif.

Right now, non in Laporta's team will be recommending Xavi like Txiki did with Pep.
I won't be surprised if Xavi is way down the list more than you think.

I's say Nagelsmann is not that far from A-list. Pretty close. He's probably the one primed to follow Klopp and now Tuchel, and Flick.

Flick, Naggelsmann, those would've been very valid choices. I see both as established names already. Neggelsmann is indeed a Xavi type with an extra advantage, he is already proven since he took Leipzig to a CL semifinal.

If Koeman doesn't confirm this season and he repeats the same errors, then Laporta will have to make a choice.

Last edited:

Porque

Great discussion guys.

giphy.gif

Messigician

Laporta in the mud

It's done

🎙[@samuelmarsden] | Xavi: I?m always on the market! But in these last three, four months i haven?t had any contact with Joan Laporta or anyone from the board. They decided to stick with Koeman and I wish the club the best.

Xavi: I feel ready to coach Bar?a. I know the club, the environment, but Koeman?s the coach at the moment and you have to respect that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes.

Laporta never offered Xavi the job.

Xavi also said he doesn't plan on taking over Barca B since he want to coach at a professional or top level like he is doing right now lol.

Don't think he'll get that call from Laporta next time around either if he's chasing the money in Doha still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans