Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

malvolio

Laporta definitely made a financial gamble to have a team right now which competes for LaLiga and goes to the knockout of the CL and the first step of that has spectacularly back fired.

To be fair to him, he built a squad with glaring weaknesses (fullbacks) but that should definitely have achieved a top two group finish.

Now here's the thing. If we can somehow conjure a League+Copa/Europa double or even a treble then this CL exit will be overlooked sporting and marketing wise.

But damn, Xavi is not showing any good signs in knockout environments.

it will all come down now. players will be fucked mentally and matches in la liga are going to get harder.

let's be honest, we had a good run in the league because we faced dross. lose the clasico and xavi won't be able to get out of this downward spiral.

ajnotkeith

He will see out the season because Tuchel whilst being the only great available candidate is too outspoken to be a long term solution. Hire him and the club will be manager searching in 12 months time again.

However unless Xavi wins the league and cup double plus shows tactical flexibility during this time, then Laporta will replace him I'm sure of it.

Personally don't want Tuchel here. He is a good coach but far too abrasive and his system is weak in league play. More than likely he would be sacked after a year or two and we would continue our managerial merry go round.

Need to go for a long term candidate, ETH would have been a great choice but unfortunately we didn't wait for him.

kattanib

To be fair, Xavi can be a great manager if he works on his greatest flaw .. his arrogance. He needs to reflect, learn and adapt. He needs to know when to play Kissie and Ding Dong as starters and when to play possession slow football. He needs to learn when to sub Dembele out or not play him at all and he needs to learn when to play Gavi as a winger or as a fourth midfielder

Richard.H

it will all come down now. players will be fucked mentally and matches in la liga are going to get harder.

let's be honest, we had a good run in the league because we faced dross. lose the clasico and xavi won't be able to get out of this downward spiral.

A good coach is able to get the team out of downward spirals, but overall I agree I don't see Xavi being the type of coach to will this team to get back up after a potential Clasico loss. Let's hope for the best and get at least a draw.

malvolio

A good coach is able to get the team out of downward spirals, but overall I agree I don't see Xavi being the type of coach to will this team to get back up after a potential Clasico loss. Let's hope for the best and get at least a draw.

don't know if that's better. result might be the same - real runs away with the league and we get KOd again in EL.

kattanib

A good coach plays a better second half than the first one. Simple.

matbezlima

So what are they?

Already been said in this thread but Xavi did come in with a different approach. Wanted his wingers wide, and his FBs tucked in. Gave us some patterns and together with Auba produces some results. Then it stopped as he was countered. Has he adapted? No, he has not.

Serghei and you can downplay the squad Xavi's got all you want, say Pedri is overrated or Lewa outdated (examples), but these are excuses for a coach who has done fuck all with a solid squad built to his liking.

A propos Arsenal, let's end this debate rn and here: https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/arsenal-fc/2022/2/

I think a lot is down to Barcelona's players not being as inspired and dynamic as they should be, they are going through a patch of bad technical form. Dembel? and Raphinha are not looking like their best selves, and so much of the creativity comes from them. If anything, Xavi's mistake is building the team to be maybe too reliant on the creativity of the wingers Dembel? and Raphinha (as a brazilian, I hate so much how this forum is reactionary and thinking he is a bad player, while he is actually a good player in a patch of bad form). They are good players, but they are not Robben or Rib?ry. He has to find a different way for the team to create without being so reliant on those two. Maybe De Jong should start instead of Gavi.

And honestly: saying that a coach has been "found out" is one of the laziest criticisms ever, and overestimates the importance of tactics, and how the players' confidence, psychological aspects and technical form are at least just as important, if not more. I see so many people online trying to sell a bullshit narrative that "Klopp has been found out" to blame for Liverpool's bad form this season. The truth is that we don't understand tactics as much as we think.

Lewandowski is a timeless player. Pedri is great, he is gonna someday become a genius like Xavi and Iniesta were.

Football isn't FIFA. Brazil 2006 was a disaster even with so many amazing names on paper. Coherence and harmony are crucial. I honestly think that the reason why Klopp likes to coach teams that are "scorched lands" is because he can slowly build his squads to fit his style from the ground up, and with no pressure for results. I have my doubts if he would succeed in an environment like Real Madrid or even Barcelona.

Jadentheman

Barcelona leads La Liga, I repeat, with 19 goals scored and 1 conceded. I'm not talking about the team Klopp inherited at Dortmund. I'm talking about how he won two Bundesligas in a row, while pathetic in Europe in those two seasons. In the 2011-2012 season, Borussia Dortmund won their second Bundesliga title in a row. They also won the Pokal. They beat Bayern three times in that season: two in the league, on in the Pokal. Let's remember that Bayern reached the UCL final that season.

But how was Borussia Dortmund in Europe in that same season? They finished last place, with only one win, one draw and four losses, in a group with Arsenal, Marseille and Olympiacos. And actually, Dortmund wasn't even doing well in the league in the first half of that season, unlike Barcelona now.

Yes but it's a weak La Liga compared to other years and it's still the beginning of the season. Xavi is staying most likely till Spring. But I think it's the beginning of the end for him if things don't turn around.

matbezlima

Absolute nonsense.

The mid table and lower la liga teams are shite defensively.

What mid table teams from La Liga are dominating in way others cant?

The EPL teams are doing far better in Europe.

Rangers, West Ham etc all 'imposed' themselves more in Europe than Barca did last season.

Villarreal reached UCL semifinals last season. Sevilla is a Europa League serial winner. West Ham and Leicester were knocked out by teams from Serie A and Bundesliga, leagues that people say all the time that have bad defending.

Nazario1985

Barcelona leads La Liga, I repeat, with 19 goals scored and 1 conceded. I'm not talking about the team Klopp inherited at Dortmund. I'm talking about how he won two Bundesligas in a row, while pathetic in Europe in those two seasons. In the 2011-2012 season, Borussia Dortmund won their second Bundesliga title in a row. They also won the Pokal. They beat Bayern three times in that season: two in the league, on in the Pokal. Let's remember that Bayern reached the UCL final that season.

But how was Borussia Dortmund in Europe in that same season? They finished last place, with only one win, one draw and four losses, in a group with Arsenal, Marseille and Olympiacos. And actually, Dortmund wasn't even doing well in the league in the first half of that season, unlike Barcelona now.

it's non sense lead.

Laligua have the worst level in 20+years and i can guarantee you if nothing major is done, we will finish 3rd or 4th.

Nobody respects us anymore, and the players will soon stop respecting Xavi

Richard.H

don't know if that's better. result might be the same - real runs away with the league and we get KOd again in EL.

A draw would be much better and will not further shatter the confidence of the players. As long as Xavi can keep up the league form until the WC break, then it's all fair game with players returning from injury.

fergus90

Personally don't want Tuchel here. He is a good coach but far too abrasive and his system is weak in league play. More than likely he would be sacked after a year or two and we would continue our managerial merry go round.

Need to go for a long term candidate, ETH would have been a great choice but unfortunately we didn't wait for him.

I agree, it all unravels for Tuchel very fast when things start going awry. Plus his 3 CB's, wingbacks and pivot is way too defensive for a club who prides itself on its attacking 'style'. Might get a bit of use out of Marcos Alonso though :lol:

Ten Hag would be great I agree, or Hansi Flick too.

matbezlima

it's non sense lead.

Laligua have the worst level in 20+years and i can guarantee you if nothing major is done, we will finish 3rd or 4th.

Nobody respects us anymore, and the players will soon stop respecting Xavi

La Liga is at a minimum the league with the second highest level in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans