Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnN

We're at least competitive with good teams (Sevilla, Real) again so that's a positive thing. Still a lot of work to do though.

Should never conceded that 3rd goal the way we did. Not in a tied game with 20+ minutes still to play at least. He looked very naive tactically there and should definitely improve and adapt to the team he has. Can't play a high line when Araujo is the only defender who can deal with likes of Vinicius.

To be fair that goal was lucky from real in all the sequence. But they had other good chances at the break anyway. Our defense needs to adapt to counters better or be more cautious in possession, especially from corners.

MTL_Barca

I wish our defense was even half as promising as our midfield/attack. With Gavi, Pedri, Nico, Fati, Ferran we have great prospects there, just need another addition here and there to replace some others. Add a good CF and DM and we're actually looking pretty good there considering how disastrous recent transfers went for us.

But defense is just a train wreck everywhere you look at. Current starting RB is soon to be 39 year old Dani Alves, Dest was eh and seems to be out of the team for good, Mingueza nowhere near good enough, only CB we can really trust in is Araujo, age cought up to Alba awfully quick, Xavi seems to not trust Balde either and then there is ter Stegn behind them.

Honestly we would probably need like at least 3-4 new players to fix that, needs some really smart deals to sort that out over the next windows or hope Eric-Araujo somehow form an amazing duo and never get injured again what seems quite optimistic.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Honestly we would probably need like at least 3-4 new players to fix that, needs some really smart deals to sort that out over the next windows or hope Eric-Araujo somehow form an amazing duo and never get injured again what seems quite optimistic.

Three of Chelsea's defenders are free agents this summer Azpilicueta (RB), Christensen/Rudiger (CB).

+ Gaya (LB) on cheap purchase.

Rudiger most likely will end up going to Real.

JamDav1982

Real not after Rudiger anymore according to reports.

Spurs, City, PSG and Juve best positioned apparently but I would guess he renews with Chelsea.

khaled_a_d

I wish our defense was even half as promising as our midfield/attack. With Gavi, Pedri, Nico, Fati, Ferran we have great prospects there, just need another addition here and there to replace some others. Add a good CF and DM and we're actually looking pretty good there considering how disastrous recent transfers went for us.

But defense is just a train wreck everywhere you look at. Current starting RB is soon to be 39 year old Dani Alves, Dest was eh and seems to be out of the team for good, Mingueza nowhere near good enough, only CB we can really trust in is Araujo, age cought up to Alba awfully quick, Xavi seems to not trust Balde either and then there is ter Stegn behind them.

Defense isn't just about players tbh, and while we lack them there is clear lack of tactical discipline from the team.
That 3rd goal reminds me of that counter we conceded against Betis, or against Benfica
And Xavi actually makes the team defend deep a lot of times, and we still concedes from set pieces fairly often.
I think Xavi needs to hire a defensive assistant, someone whose job is to coordinate the positioning of players in every situation.

Messigician

Defense isn't just about players tbh, and while we lack them there is clear lack of tactical discipline from the team.
That 3rd goal reminds me of that counter we conceded against Betis, or against Benfica
And Xavi actually makes the team defend deep a lot of times, and we still concedes from set pieces fairly often.
I think Xavi needs to hire a defensive assistant, someone whose job is to coordinate the positioning of players in every situation.

Valverde is above that sorry

Bobo32

I think it is fruitless to think about the game in terms of "offence" and "defence" in isolation. It is possible to single out set pieces, but I'd prefer it if Barcelona could get back to playing the corners and most free kicks short and fast. With no Messi, Ronaldinho, or even Xavi, there isn't even really any need to shoot from freekicks outside of the box. Did Barcelona score one this season? How many were close?

What is needed is to turn the entire game around to make the style suit the players better. It is very correct what Xavi said once again about being more responsible for the ball, especially the attackers. He really doesn't seem to make the right decisions based on what he says on press conferences though.

BarcaOG

Banned
its like pique busi and alba have blackmail on him

no matter how unreliable, error prone, disastrous, or lazy they play, they have a guaranteed spot. its absurd

serghei

I find it interesting how angry Xavi seems to be on the sidelines. Like his instructions are not being followed. Anyone with any insights/translations on what he is shouting to the players?

He sure as hell has a funny way of showing his anger starting the veterans non stop. I wonder if he realizes that Busi's snail speed caused two goals against us out of three.

Would had been 3/4 Busi's work if Madrid wouldn't have been shit.

BarcaOG

Banned
Pep came in with 1/10 of Xavi's stature as a player and booted R10, Deco, and co.

For all his lying in the media, Pep is truly a GOAT tier manager...because he is decisive and visionary. Xavi is not.

hundred percent. pep does not shrink from shipping players that are not working out. etoo (though this was a mistake), ibra, yaya toure, etc.

he doesnt fuck around.

imagine the balls it took showing up as barca manager in 2008, with no experience, and relatively lower legend status (certainly lower than xavis) and telling ronnie and deco to get out. THATS BALLS

xavi is the complete opposite, he is bending over completely to players that have overstayed for years

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

True of course but let's be real here, we don't have a single world class defender right now. They pretty much all struggle in some way or another.

Sure defending is often times team effort but individually they are just not up to the desired standard. That assistant would need to be a magician to form a solid defense out of the current squad. Our current full backs would be 33 and 39 next season, Pique 35, Umtiti crippled, Lenglet is Lenglet and Xavi doesn't seem to have much faith in Dest/Balde

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

True of course but let's be real here, we don't have a single world class defender right now. They pretty much all struggle in some way or another.

Sure defending is often times team effort but indivally they are just not up to the desired standard. That assistant would need to be a magician to form a solid defense out of the current squad. Our current full backs would be 33 and 39 next season, Pique 35. Umtit crippled, Lenglet is Lenglet and Xavi doesn't seem to have much faith in Dest/Balde

I think "solid" is achievable wih better DM and GK, even with current defense.
Don't think we need world class for that. Sure we need reinforcements there but we are better than what we are showing IMO

MTL_Barca

I think "solid" is achievable wih better DM and GK, even with current defense.
Don't think we need world class for that. Sure we need reinforcements there but we are better than what we are showing IMO

Well better GK and DM is already a big if, especially since Busi and ter Stegen are probably our 2 safest starters for next season unfortunately :lol:

My point was just that individually speaking our backline is far from great, and we don't even have many promising prospects like in midfield and attack. With all that Haaland talk i really hope they'll gonna somehow adress defense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans