Willian

Messi983

Also, don't forget that Joaquin at 36-37 has played on a high level under Setien so I don't doubt he could get one or two good seasons out of Willian.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Decent signing, will actually be available to play unlike Dembele. Works hard in defence which is desperately needed in the frontline. He is a better version of Vazquez.

Also the people who were having a go at Valverde for "wanting him" are now realising it wasn't his idea but the board and sporting department. They make all the transfer decisions at Barca, not the coach. Congratulations to those fans who now understand the basic structure of the club they support. At Barca the head coach is exactly that, a guy who coaches the players.

ronniecro

man how pathetic,all of a sudden now he is good,solid player,would be a good move?not even year ago everyone was fuming by the mention that we may be after him

mc_lovin

man how pathetic,all of a sudden now he is good,solid player,would be a good move?not even year ago everyone was fuming by the mention that we may be after him

The price was quoted at roughly 80ME a year ago. Thats why most here were fuming. And rightfully so.

ronniecro

The price was quoted at roughly 80ME a year ago. Thats why most here were fuming. And rightfully so.

i remember price range from 30-60m,which is ridiculous i agree,but price was put aside since the idea of willian as a barca player was mocked more

Andresito

Staff member

Ehm dawg how about not seeing everything in black or white?

Before, Willian was supposed to get the spot next to Messi and Suárez for 50M.
Now, he's coming for free to give us more options in attack.

Donatello

To be honest I don't see any issues. It's not like he's going to steal playing time from promising youngsters (mostly because there are none), and he won't be a player we'll rely on week in week out.
He'll come as an backup to an otherwise thin lineup of wingers.

Although I partly agree with you, but wouldn't it be more suitable if youngsters took those minutes.

Because I don't think our front 3 will be any young next season. Instead of adding more age, why not invest that time on a youngster

Andresito

Staff member
Although I partly agree with you, but wouldn't it be more suitable if youngsters took those minutes.

Because I don't think our front 3 will be any young next season. Instead of adding more age, why not invest that time on a youngster

Because that time will be limited, I'm not sure how much a talent would benefit from that. Besides, we'd have to splash a bunch of cash.

Donatello

Because that time will be limited, I'm not sure how much a talent would benefit from that. Besides, we'd have to splash a bunch of cash.

Why we'd have to spend more?

Fati,Trincao,Messi,Suarez,Dembele,Lautaro,Griezmann are all competing for 3 spots.

I don't see the need for Willian.

Andresito

Staff member
Why we'd have to spend more?

Fati,Trincao,Messi,Suarez,Dembele,Lautaro,Griezmann are all competing for 3 spots.

I don't see the need for Willian.

I doubt Ansu and Trincao will be here together next season. Dembélé is also a question mark. Willian would basically have that 5th role.
The playing time is very limited. Let's say Lautaro comes:
Suárez starting at the beginning of the season. Lautaro will be 1st sub in attack.
Messi and Griezmann are undisputed. And there are maybe at most 15 min per game we can give to someone else here.

Now I'm not saying we should go all in on Willian. But if we do sign him, it wouldn't be the worst deal we've done over the years.
It fully depends on how the club is planning the development of the rest of the attackers. We could definitely make due without him or any other veteran attacker as backup with what we currently have.

Home of Barca Fans