Wayne Rooney

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Supposedly Looney will be meeting with the media today to give a statement of some sort...Plot, thickens

Bergkamp10

Wayne Rooney releases statement confirming he wants to leave Man United after club was unable to give him assurances over future squad.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Wayne Rooney releases statement confirming he wants to leave Man United after club was unable to give him assurances over future squad.

Yeah, just read that...Says he met or spoke with David Gill and that it boils down to sporting reasons rather than financial ones as to the basis of his desire to depart...Could be some truth to it

Bergkamp10

I think his reasons for leaving are more to do with his relationship with Sir Alex.

full statement:

"I was interested to hear what Sir Alex has had to say yesterday, and surprised by some of it. It is absolutley true, my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August, I asked for assurances that the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.(?) I never had anything but complete respect for Manchester United football club . How could I not have done, given its fantastic history, especially its last 6 years, which I've been lucky to play a part. For me, it's always about winning trophies, as the club has always done under Sir Alex Ferguson. Because of that, I think the questions I ask were justified. However, when I met with David Gill last week, he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him I would not be signing a new contract despite recent dificulties. I know I will always how Sir Alex a huge debt, he is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was 18. For Manchester United's sake, I wish he could go on forever because he is a genius."

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Here is some of what Rooney released:

Wayne Rooney has confirmed he wants to leave Manchester United.

Here is his statement in full:

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad.

"I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.

"I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it.

"It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

"I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

"For me its all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18.

"For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one off and a genius."

Bergkamp10

I can imagine the conversation...

Wayne: Are you going to sign some new players who can help us compete in all competitions?
David Gill: Of course, mate! In fact, we've just signed Bebe.
Wayne: :icon_neutral:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Personally, I think this is a thinly veiled slam at the Glazers...If indeed it's sporting reasons, he's not singling out Fergie but the ownership...Although, you gotta wonder what he's thinking considering all that United have won with him there

S

Satori

I think his statement is a real kick in the teeth for his team mates.

And a real kick in the bollocks for the fans, the glazer's, ferguson and United's wallet due to the incredible loss from sponsors.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It'll be interesting to see if Wayne would consider either Man City or Liverpool considering his biggest reasons for wanting to jump ship are sporting ones...If that's the case, Liverpool has to be considered a step down as would Man City...If he were to go to one of those two, gotta believe this has been about money and that he's been tapped up

Could he actually be angling for either Chelsea or Spain?

S

Satori

It'll be interesting to see if Wayne would consider either Man City or Liverpool considering his biggest reasons for wanting to jump ship are sporting ones...If that's the case, Liverpool has to be considered a step down as would Man City...If he were to go to one of those two, gotta believe this has been about money and that he's been tapped up

Could he actually be angling for either Chelsea or Spain?

Ambition wise, City is a step up.

The fact you even consider Liverpool means you're a bit of a tit. (no offence)

Home of Barca Fans