USA

iced1776

Awesome words from Cesc about the USA Team :D

"The best moment for me at the World Cup so far was that nail biting end when the USA scored in the last minute against Algeria," Fabregas told The Sun. "It was an incredible finale and was the most memorable one for me.

"Everybody is talking about it. That was a great moment and they are a great team."

But the Arsenal star wasn't done with his praise of the USA and went on to say he felt the team could make a deep run in the competition while mentioning that his team found out how good they were at the Confederations Cup.

"I wasn't surprised at all they finished top of the group. They are fit and strong and dangerous on the counter-attack.

"They have spirit too - they came from two goals down against Slovenia to get a draw and scored in injury time against Algeria to go through. The USA never give up. That's why I believe they can go much further because they fight to the end and work so hard.

"They are in a good side of the draw now - they have Ghana next, then maybe Uruguay in the quarter-finals.

"So I can see them reaching the semi-finals and then who knows what might happen."

iced1776

I think I pinpointed why I'm proud of the way the U.S. played, at least in the group stages and most of the last game. They're off the ball movement and changing of attacking shapes on the fly was very, very good, and its something that has never shown up in this team until now. Our days of blindly booting the ball upfield are over, with Bradley becoming more comfortable on the ball and the most attacking players (Donovan, Dempsey, Jozy) working very well together to piece together neat passing plays - another aspect sorely missing from our national team until now. The way the strikers and wingers interchange positions makes it difficult for the defense to pick up marks on counter attacks.

XaviMessiGirl

I do admit I was surprised at how they played, they did better than I expected them to and I think they could have gone into the quarterfinals although I doubt past that (imo Uruguay is a stronger side than Ghana, especially defensively so it would prove hard). The problem today was that it seemed like they were asleep for the first half and didn't wake up until Donovan made that PK. If they had fought like they did during the extra time then they would have stood a better chance.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I don't know!! Uruguay would have lost the midfield battle... although Forlan and Suarez(like yesterday) can be counted on doing some magic

Merv

Was away for a couple of days and had to record the game. However, upon my return was able to watch it with my sister, who was visiting at the time. That in its self was very special.

Even though our guys went out, we were so proud of their effort and how far we did make it!!! :beer2:

Now I'm hoping Spain takes it all. Especially after Pique has donated so much blood for the cause!!!! :pique: :)

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Donovan, Dempsey and Bradley are all fantastic players. If USA had a decent striker then they would have beat Ghana.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
What a team... excelent WC... it's a pitty that they don't play the next stage... anywhay... great matches. I like Donovan...

sMiLeYz

Donovan, Dempsey and Bradley are all fantastic players. If USA had a decent striker then they would have beat Ghana.

Not only striker, our quality of defense has been lacking since the injury of Onyewu, he wasn't 100% fit. At striker, we were lacking Charlie Davies. The most promising young striker for us. His play is what made the US do well in the confederation cup, but alas he was injured in a car accident and has yet to be 100%

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans