UEFA Europa League 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Hardly an excuse, no one cares about the Europa League. For United and Liverpool especially it's an embarrassment for them to be in it. The only reason for them to take it seriously now is that winning it would get them into the Champions League.

English clubs should get used to it and realize that is the European competition they are actually able to win. A team like Sevilla knows that it is impossible for them to compete with the big dogs in CL so they go for glory in EL. It is no small feat to win EL and every team that would stand there at the end with the trophy in their hands would be happy to celebrate.
EL winners remain in the history books, no one cares about 3rd or 4th place and an exit in the Round of 16 in the next CL season.

JamDav1982

Perhaps it's the only reason, but it should still be more than enough reason - especially seeing how hard a time they'll have doing it through their domestic league.

He is saying they want to win it.

Doesnt matter how many reasons that is for really.

Jenks

I think Liverpool will take it seriously. It's hard to tell with United whether they're not taking it seriously or they're just hopeless under LVG. Could be a combination of the two. Spurs look like they'll take it seriously on the field, but won't commit full strength teams just yet.

JamDav1982

English clubs should get used to it and realize that is the European competition they are actually able to win. A team like Sevilla knows that it is impossible for them to compete with the big dogs in CL so they go for glory in EL. It is no small feat to win EL and every team that would stand there at the end with the trophy in their hands would be happy to celebrate.
EL winners remain in the history books, no one cares about 3rd or 4th place and an exit in the Round of 16 in the next CL season.

You think Sevilla gave up on CL to focus on Europa?

They would take CL qualification every year ahead if Europa of they could.

Last edited:

Jenks

Who cares about EL winners though? Better to build toward the CL. The PL is more important than the EL. The good thing now at least is that the EL offers a path into the CL, so in that sense it's worth taking seriously.

Jair Ventura

I think Sevilla understands they cannot compete with Barca, Real, Bayern, etc and are therefore more than happy to win the Europa.

JamDav1982

I think Sevilla understands they cannot compete with Barca, Real, Bayern, etc and are therefore more than happy to win the Europa.

You think Sevilla want to be in Europa more than CL?

99% of europe cant win CL or have very little chance. Yet they still want to get in CL and go as far as possible as a priority.

Jair Ventura

Hardly an excuse, no one cares about the Europa League. For United and Liverpool especially it's an embarrassment for them to be in it. The only reason for them to take it seriously now is that winning it would get them into the Champions League.

It's an embarrassment to participate in a European competition with Dortmund, Napoli, Porto, Sevilla, Marseille, Schalke, Sporting, Leverkusen, Valencia, Anderlecht, etc? I don't understand that, especially given the automatic UCL qualification for the winners.

You think Sevilla want to be in Europa more than CL?

99% of europe cant win CL or have very little chance. Yet they still want to get in CL and go as far as possible as a priority.

I'm sure Sevilla is happy to participate in the UCL, but I'm also sure they value winning the Europa more than being elminated in the group stages of the Champions League.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

i'm with juvens on this one. the true embarrassment tonight wasn't united's participation but it's lack of participation versus a no name side.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Do EPL fans know the Fable about the wolve that couldn't reach the raisins ?

ManU can NOT win the EL even if they tried, even that "lowly" competition according to them is still out of their reach ... so yeah, just pretend you don't care and you're loosing on purpose seems like the best approach to save face.

JamDav1982

It's an embarrassment to participate in a European competition with Dortmund, Napoli, Porto, Sevilla, Marseille, Schalke, Sporting, Leverkusen, Valencia, Anderlecht, etc? I don't understand that, especially given the automatic UCL qualification for the winners.

I'm sure Sevilla is happy to participate in the UCL, but I'm also sure they value winning the Europa more than being elminated in the group stages.

Yes so they want to be in CL and that is their priority. The Europa League is secondary to them as every other team until they are in it.

PSG I think have next to no chance of CL. Less than 10% chance at best. Maybe they should prefer the Europa.

Yet they wouldnt. They would see it as a failure to be there.

StarLord

Who cares about EL winners though? Better to build toward the CL. The PL is more important than the EL. The good thing now at least is that the EL offers a path into the CL, so in that sense it's worth taking seriously.

If United had any hope of winning the PL, then I would agree with you. But as things stand, United have little chance of even making top 4, while winning the EL, not only gives you a European title (and lots of coefficient points to boot) but also automatic qualification to the CL. The problem with the EL is not that it is lowly, the problem is that it is quite hard to win.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR

Of course Sevilla would like CL more and do not choose to go out of the competition. But when they are in the EL they know that they are able to win the competition and give 100% to come as far as possible.

Edit: Santi Mina had 2 goals and 3 assists in the 1st half btw.

JamDav1982

Of course Sevilla would like CL more and do not choose to go out of the competition. But when they are in the EL they know that they are able to win the competition and give 100% to come as far as possible.

Sevilla rotate their squad in the Europa like most teams from bigger leagues do.

Sure Bacca only started in about half their games last season in run up to final.

It just means more to them to try and win it than most teams and that is fair play to them but others dont have to take the same approach. But it doesnt become a 100% focus when they are in it. They just want it a bit more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans