Transfers and Rumours - old thread

mac10

if they're not going to go for a quality keeper then they should just make pinto no1 assuming valdes leaves cos imo reinas no better than pinto and use valdes transfer cash eleswhere

DucdeOrléans

I don't see his salary (he'll surely accept a pay-cut) nor age as a problem.
Not sure about his current form as I haven't seen that much of Liverpool this season.

It would be a downgrade from Valdés that's for sure. Moreover I must admit that I see very little sense in buying him as stated in the previous posts. Also does anyone seriously believe that our interest in Ter Stegen is concrete? Would be very "unlike" FCB IMO. I would be positively surprised if so since I like Ter Stegen a lot and see huge potential in him on the short and long run. Also what is the difference of 1 year going to make if he will be bought this summer just to join the team the next season? If the club buys him now they must be sure of his quality in this very moment.

The polls in both EMD and Sport have been hugely negative towards a possible Reina buy.

Anyway it's all rumors for now.

Kerrybai

if they're not going to go for a quality keeper then they should just make pinto no1 assuming valdes leaves cos imo reinas no better than pinto and use valdes transfer cash eleswhere

Exactly, If we are going to get Ter Stegen or someone else of high quality in 2014 then I can live for 1 season with Reina. If he makes a glaring error or two then we can bench him and put Pinto between the sticks. Let's not forget that he won a Zamora trophy so he can get us through next season.

I don't think it's our biggest worry right now.

I don't see his salary (he'll surely accept a pay-cut) nor age as a problem.
Not sure about his current form as I haven't seen that much of Liverpool this season.

I'm sure our Liverpool fans on here can provide more info but as far as I'm aware Reina has been getting back to form recently.

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

Exactly, If we are going to get Ter Stegen or someone else of high quality in 2014 then I can live for 1 season with Reina. If he makes a glaring error or two then we can bench him and put Pinto between the sticks. Let's not forget that he won a Zamora trophy so he can get us through next season.

I don't think it's our biggest worry right now.

I can't comment on that since I don't follow the sinking ship that is Liverpool or PL regularly for that matter :)troll:) but what I have read on local Spanish/Catalan forums from people who claimed to have followed him at Liverpool is that his performances have only gone downwards from the time he joined the club until recently.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Pepe has turned in some really good performances for Liverpool as of late. He's definitely NOT a downgrade from Valdes, who has become too complacent in his position w/ Barca anyways. If it's either Reina or Guaita, it's a no-brainer to go with Reina and bring in another young keeper next year when Pinto leaves.

Strengthening our backline should be the main concern though.

spark

And Barça want him :facepalm:

Good is the Ter Stegen rumors ressurfaced, but with his coming possible in 2014, and not now.

Juve is interested? We better pull the trigger fast. It very annoying that clubs with Cech or Buffon are thinking long term and we are pondering whether its too soon despite our GK actually leaving.

khaled_a_d

Juve is interested? We better pull the trigger fast. It very annoying that clubs with Cech or Buffon are thinking long term and we are pondering whether its too soon despite our GK actually leaving.

Why would they be interested in Stegan ,I mean they signed Nicola Leali who is supposed to be next Buffon alreadt

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Actually, we need not a CB for depth - we need a CB to take a spot right away in the starting 11 AND 1 extra CB for depth that could also cover LB/RB.

Right, we would ideally cover all of those positions, I'm just listing them in order of importance. Because, if you think about it, we have Pique + the new CB, Puyol and Abidal, Bartra, Mascherano as well, Muniesa could be promoted... Both a new GK and a new attacker are more important than another CB...

LFCTFC

I'm sure our Liverpool fans on here can provide more info but as far as I'm aware Reina has been getting back to form recently.

Inconsistent these last couple of years, including the early portion of this season. Few injuries didn't help. He has seemed like his old self these last few months though, if he maintains his current form then he'll be a class keeper.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Right, we would ideally cover all of those positions, I'm just listing them in order of importance. Because, if you think about it, we have Pique + the new CB, Puyol and Abidal, Bartra, Mascherano as well, Muniesa could be promoted... Both a new GK and a new attacker are more important than another CB...

Masch? He's doing OK against mid table La Liga teams and qualification rounds of CL - would not trust him against RM, Bayern or any other team stronger than Malaga.
Abidal? The guy just recovered from cancer and might not even be offered a renewal. We also don't really know what form he really is in, I doubt he would be a starter against stronger teams.
Puyol? Legen - wait for it - dary!!! But he's getting older and more injury prone.
Bartra? Nope, we still don't know if he can handle the big leagues.
So, this leaves us with a confused Pique.

A club like us should have a killer CB pairing like Pique and Pyuol 2-3 seasons ago with a depth of 2 CB's that are almost on the same level. Now we don't even have 1 CB on that level - it can't continue like this.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Bartra? Nope, we still don't know if he can handle the big leagues.

That's why we need to play him...

And, again, we need to cover all four positions, but in that order. A GK is certainly more important than a second CB, and an attacker as well considering the form of our attackers as of late. We can play Puyol, Abidal and Mascherano against La Liga sides and lower CL teams, rotate Bartra with both groups and play Pique + the new CB for the big games. I agree, the second CB is needed, but not before a GK and an attacker.

Home of Barca Fans