Thomas Lemar

JamDav1982

Munir was at some small team and attracted interest of Barca and Real like a load of young players do.

Denis was not even really making much noise at Man City as cheaper and older.

Far more Barca plyers have broke through from Segunda than Segunda B in recent years and why would he want to sign to get loaned out to a team at that level?

Think Reals better young players like Asensio and Casimero played in Segunda as well.

Everyone moans like fuck about the B team managers no matter what happens. Heard it all before about how Eusebio was a shit coach ruining players etc. Yet in next breath people want Palencia and Alena getting a chance as playing so well and say likes of Cucu or Arnaiz are going to make it etc.

Lutece FC

Lemar is brillant. He could be an excellent choice for Barca. His inly problem is physical, his performance depends so much of his form.

If he doesn't sign at Barca, I hope he stays in Monaco or transfer in Paris.

French talents have to stay in France. Mbappe did the right choice.

FCBfan22

He won't sign for Paris in the next few years because of the FFP. Especially after they officially buy Mbappe next summer. They can't afford another 80 million transfer.

Lutece FC

He won't sign for Paris in the next few years because of the FFP. Especially after they officially buy Mbappe next summer. They can't afford another 80 million transfer.

If Paris sell Lucas, Di Maria and Krychowiak for good amount, they will have accounts ballanced.

JamDav1982

Ok.

By the way, do you have the next numbers for Euromillions lotery ? Asking for a friend.

Typical PSG obsessed with glory hunting the money.

Ok how much do they need to sell those three for to cover Mbappe, Neymar and an 80m transfer?

Lets see who turns out being correct.

FCBfan22

I'd say they would need to sell at least 250 million in players to even think they are close to ballanced accounts.

khaled_a_d

Munir was at some small team and attracted interest of Barca and Real like a load of young players do.

Denis was not even really making much noise at Man City as cheaper and older.

Far more Barca plyers have broke through from Segunda than Segunda B in recent years and why would he want to sign to get loaned out to a team at that level?

Think Reals better young players like Asensio and Casimero played in Segunda as well.

Everyone moans like fuck about the B team managers no matter what happens. Heard it all before about how Eusebio was a shit coach ruining players etc. Yet in next breath people want Palencia and Alena getting a chance as playing so well and say likes of Cucu or Arnaiz are going to make it etc.

1-You can say people, but I didn't moan about those coaches, in fact defended Eusebio and a lot and got laughed at for that. And you can say people have said X or Y all the time since there is always people who say anything that could have been said
I don't think Gerard is the problem here, he is doing a fine job for developing players IMO, but I've problem with the current management of the team. We are putting all our eggs in one basket and I think currently this is wrong.

2-Asensio didn't come from a reserve team in Segunda, totally different argument. I won't mind a player getting play time in Segunda division team playing with senior players and proper coach. Not with a team of youngsters he will have to compete against. I don't think that is proper strategy for us atm, specially with our coach having to keep results.

3-What recent years? right now we have only one players that came directly from B team to first team since 2005. Other players who had to spend years outside the club just to return as bench players like Gerard and Denis. And this is 6th season for us in Segunda out of last 8 years. And it is the most criticized era for La Masia (even if there are more reasons for that like over hyping our talent and unrealistic expectation)

4-I am not sure how you rate F.Torres as a big talent like this, I don't see him much bigger status than those guys, he is a good talent but still a risky even for the price. From what I've watched with U-17 he isn't the standout player in the team (that is Abel and Gomez for me despite Abel being wasteful), we probably have different definition for that category tbh. And in any mean I would put every talent that isn't yet proven at 1st team football at that category, regardless the hype or talent, for taht F.Torres is in this category for Barca typical signing. You have different criteria probably and I don't mind that

JamDav1982

1-You can say people, but I didn't moan about those coaches, in fact defended Eusebio and a lot and got laughed at for that. And you can say people have said X or Y all the time since there is always people who say anything that could have been said
I don't think Gerard is the problem here, he is doing a fine job for developing players IMO, but I've problem with the current management of the team. We are putting all our eggs in one basket and I think currently this is wrong.

2-Asensio didn't come from a reserve team in Segunda, totally different argument. I won't mind a player getting play time in Segunda division team playing with senior players and proper coach. Not with a team of youngsters he will have to compete against. I don't think that is proper strategy for us atm, specially with our coach having to keep results.

3-What recent years? right now we have only one players that came directly from B team to first team since 2005. Other players who had to spend years outside the club just to return as bench players like Gerard and Denis. And this is 6th season for us in Segunda out of last 8 years. And it is the most criticized era for La Masia (even if there are more reasons for that like over hyping our talent and unrealistic expectation)

4-I am not sure how you rate F.Torres as a big talent like this, I don't see him much bigger status than those guys, he is a good talent but still a risky even for the price. From what I've watched with U-17 he isn't the standout player in the team (that is Abel and Gomez for me despite Abel being wasteful), we probably have different definition for that category tbh. And in any mean I would put every talent that isn't yet proven at 1st team football at that category, regardless the hype or talent, for taht F.Torres is in this category for Barca typical signing. You have different criteria probably and I don't mind that

Asensio played at Segunda level never said anything about a B team.

Plenty of players have come through playing B team football in Segunda at 18 to then go on to play in first team. Whether that be going on loan in between or not. Lots have done it.

There would be no point in signing a young player at 18 for big money and loaning him to third tier it would be ridiculous. He isnt a typical Barca signing. Rarely make signings like this or spend big money on players that are 17.

FCBfan22

Anyway, back to topic. It's really painful to watch how Lemar wants to play passing football with this France team, but the likes of Matuidi or Giroud always mess it up.

Lutece FC

Anyway, back to topic. It's really painful to watch how Lemar wants to play passing football with this France team, but the likes of Matuidi or Giroud always mess it up.
Giroud, Sissoko, Digne : the biggest problems in French National Team.

Matuidi is important for the team. Already an important player for Juve.

BBZ8800

I wouldnt even buy Lemar for 90m, so leave that aside.

The main problem I have with your response is that you use that argument about "past young flops we have signed" time and time again whenever people urge us to sign quality young players. Its not relevant who we have signed in the past. You seem to believe all young talented players are considered by everyone as the new Messi when that is far from the case. You have to judge each players individually. Many young players are simply stupid and get hyped up based on physique beyond their age or other attributes.

Did you or did you not want us to sign Ney and Umtiti? Did you want us to sign Lemar when he was a 25m player last summer? Or did you dismiss him using the same argument you use now when he is at 100m? You argue against Goretzka as well. A player who would cost 20m tops. It seems like if the player is young, you simply do not want him. We can always try to chase superstars from rich clubs but we almost never sign them, because its almost impossible in this day and age.

You are using a hindsight.
It is easy to say: we should have bought Dembele for 20 and Lemar for 25.

Again, try this:
Name 10 players TODAY who are available for 10-30 Millions and who seem like a good deal (players like Lemar in 2016 and Dembele in 2016), so even before Dortmund's/Monaco's good last season.

Again, from 10 players in the price range 20-30M, 8 will turn out into nothing special in 2 years, and 2 will turn into Lemars.
The million dollar question is: how to pick one out of 5 or 10 which will turn into a Lemar?

Because, if you buy all 10 players for let's say 30 Millions, you will spend 300M and get 2 Lemars in 2 years, whom you could have bought for 100-120M later, without a risk (and without waiting until they develop slowly).
If you get my point?

Buying youngsters is good ONLY if you hit a jackpot with a youngster whom you buy for 30M and who turns into a 100M player.
If you buy 5 youngsters for 30M who all flop, you haven't done anything and you could have bought proven Coutinho/Griezz for that money.

So, yes, if you/the board can pick 2-3 youngsters for 20-30M who will turn into new Lemars in 2 years: do it, I am with you.
But again, maths, statistics, logic and history will tell you that for every youngster, chances are 1/5 or 1/4 that he will make it here.

And at the end of a day, statistically you will get this:
1) buying 5 youngsters for 25M each. Total 125M.
4 of them will flop and turn into 10M players and one will turn into Lemar (BUT, you will have to wait for him for 2 years).
In total: you invested 125M, you will get one player worth 125 (one out of these 5), and you will return 10+10+10+10 from sales of these 4 who flopped.
But, but you will lose 2 years without trophies while trying to find out which one of these 5 will make it here.
So, 2 trophyless seasons, one Lemar in your team and 40M earned, let's say.

Basically, you have spent 125 Millions to get ONLY one Lemar after 2 years of waiting and developing.

2) scenario 2: you don't buy any youngsters, you buy Coutinho/Griezz RIGHT AWAY and have him for 5 years.
You will win trophies right away, you will get a player whom you wanted.
You won't get re-sale money back and you can't have him for shiny "10 years".
But you will win more trophies both right away and probably long term.

With youngsters, there is always that shiny: what if, what if (a chance to get 2-3-5 players for cheap and to have a player for 10 years).
With Griezz and Cou, you get what you see, you pay a lot, but you get the immidiate impact.

Jombi

You are using a hindsight.
It is easy to say: we should have bought Dembele for 20 and Lemar for 25.

Again, try this:
Name 10 players TODAY who are available for 10-30 Millions and who seem like a good deal (players like Lemar in 2016 and Dembele in 2016), so even before Dortmund's/Monaco's good last season.

Again, from 10 players in the price range 20-30M, 8 will turn out into nothing special in 2 years, and 2 will turn into Lemars.
The million dollar question is: how to pick one out of 5 or 10 which will turn into a Lemar?

Because, if you buy all 10 players for let's say 30 Millions, you will spend 300M and get 2 Lemars in 2 years, whom you could have bought for 100-120M later, without a risk (and without waiting until they develop slowly).
If you get my point?

Buying youngsters is good ONLY if you hit a jackpot with a youngster whom you buy for 30M and who turns into a 100M player.
If you buy 5 youngsters for 30M who all flop, you haven't done anything and you could have bought proven Coutinho/Griezz for that money.

So, yes, if you/the board can pick 2-3 youngsters for 20-30M who will turn into new Lemars in 2 years: do it, I am with you.
But again, maths, statistics, logic and history will tell you that for every youngster, chances are 1/5 or 1/4 that he will make it here.

And at the end of a day, statistically you will get this:
1) buying 5 youngsters for 25M each. Total 125M.
4 of them will flop and turn into 10M players and one will turn into Lemar (BUT, you will have to wait for him for 2 years).
In total: you invested 125M, you will get one player worth 125 (one out of these 5), and you will return 10+10+10+10 from sales of these 4 who flopped.
But, but you will lose 2 years without trophies while trying to find out which one of these 5 will make it here.
So, 2 trophyless seasons, one Lemar in your team and 40M earned, let's say.

Basically, you have spent 125 Millions to get ONLY one Lemar after 2 years of waiting and developing.

2) scenario 2: you don't buy any youngsters, you buy Coutinho/Griezz RIGHT AWAY and have him for 5 years.
You will win trophies right away, you will get a player whom you wanted.
You won't get re-sale money back and you can't have him for shiny "10 years".
But you will win more trophies both right away and probably long term.

With youngsters, there is always that shiny: what if, what if (a chance to get 2-3-5 players for cheap and to have a player for 10 years).
With Griezz and Cou, you get what you see, you pay a lot, but you get the immidiate impact.

Where do you come up with these numbers? These are self-serving numbers you just make up on the fly. You dont judge players as individuals at all. Since you refuse to answer the question, I conclude that you were against signing Neymar, Umtiti, Nelsinho and Lemar for 25m euros. You claim its hindsight that Lemar should have been bought, but look back and see what I said about Lemar, Andre Gomes and Paco last year. To you, they were and are all the same, because they are young. To people who judge players individually they are not. I never wanted Gomes. Lemar and Fabinho should have been bought. We should have bought a LB that could cover as RB and the forward should be able to play multiple positions up front. This is not hindsight. It was common sense then but we refused to do it and paid the consequences. You probably didnt want Gomes either because he was young. But that doesnt mean we should dismiss the signing of Naby Keita for example, just because he is also young. You argue against Goretzka on the cheap as well. It seems you have a very odd way of looking at players. You claim that 22-23 year olds need at least 2 years before they can even perform at a decent level for us. So we still have to wait and see if Umtiti can perform? Where do you come up with such ideas? No player is risk free. Not even so-called "immediate impact" Ibra, Arda and Cesc.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans