Thierry Henry

Ursegor

World Champion
He's not even in Henry's league in terms of pure ability. His scoring record is outrageous though, even if he does need more attempts to score, more often than not he decides matches, can't argue against it.

I have no doubts that a prime Henry in this current Real Madrid team in this current La Liga era would easily match Ronaldo's pure goalscoring numbers. As if Henry couldn't score hattricks against Celta Vigo or Deportivo playing for a stacked team like this Real Madrid side to pad his stats.

K

Karnivore

It would've been a sight to behold that's for sure, his pace on the break would have terrified defences in La Liga.

jamrock

When people say the best player they have ever seen bar messi, when He played in era that has dinho,ronaldo,zidane,xavi To name a few, Is just...
When It comes to who out of c.ronaldo and Henry is better, well they were both pace merchants At their best, But Henry had a bit more class and sexy to his game So he edged it, But only just.
Neither of them were particularly blessed with talent from The gods the way a ronaldo,dinho was.

Last edited:
K

Karnivore

Errr, Henry was, and he was arguably better than Ronaldinho. Two different types of players but Henry was robbed of the Ballon d'Or in 2003 and 2004. The difference between them was minimal, but there is a gulf of difference between them and Cristiano Ronaldo.

jamrock

He wasn't better than dinho not even close, No one thought that when they were playing and even less do so today,

Thinking about it more ronaldo is better, they are about equally talented but ronaldo has done more with his talent.

Henry is in the Sheva, eto'O,Villa debate, Great striker conversation probably the best of the lot at his best, Though I prefer eto'o ans sheva( dinho should have had is ballon d'or, But people vote for winners)

Not in the dinho,ronaldo both of them and the rest space, And when people are making these list in the Future He wont Be there

K

Karnivore

Absolute unequivocal rubbish. There was minimal difference between Henry and Ronaldinho, both the stand out players of the early noughties, and Henry mainted it at a greater level than Ronaldinho did, edpecially when his team started to hit the rails. He rallied them and took them to their first ever Champions League final with stand out performances along the way. Once Barcelona started becoming a spent force, Ronaldinho was finished. He moved on, Messi came in and took them to far greater heights.

I've no problem with people saying Ronaldinho was better though, there was a genuine case there, but Cristiano Ronaldo? No... just... no.

jamrock

Like In 2006-07. When the was falling apart and dinho scored 22 goals and 20 assist in the league only to lose it head To head and that was when most of our best players were Injured.

I remember in the run up to the 06 World cup the BBC interviewed Some past Brazilian wc winners an pundits And They all said one thing if dinho leads Brazil to this world cup, He would be considered To be as good as Pele And some of these people played with pele, Such is the level of his talent, No matter what Henry achieved no one would ever even think about making such a statement.

Because at the end of the day despite henry's Little class touches something ronaldo could never do for example, He was firstly a pace merchant, That needed time And Space more often times than not to do is magic, Much like ronaldo, And don't show me a clip of him doing something in no space, Everyone knows he was a pace merchant.

Dinho on the other hand could kill you a million and one ways, Space or no space, Time or no time, He could make them out of nothing like few others in the history of The game.

89Norcal

i.e:

You would never in a million years see Ronaldo do that.

Brilliant, and he did things like that all the time and in competitive matches.

Something that is seriously lacking in Ronaldo's game (apart from the odd long range belter, when did Ronaldo ever score such an iconic individual goal against a big team? And by individual goal I don't mean an Özil throughball which sends him 1 on 1 vs. the goalkeeper).

True, Ronaldo is a great player but in a different way, in that he gives his team confidence with his positioning, speed, and strength so he's a playmaker's dream target if you get what I mean. He is highly efficient and even more so in a top side.

Henry though constantly made something out of nothing by himself. Honestly some of his goals were straight out of a video game.

Last edited:

Meitux

yeah seriously,cant stand it that this player didnt win not even one ballon dor as he had tremendous seasons with arsenal.Maybe his last in 2006-2007 wasnt good cause of many injuries but never mind he did deserve at least to get one ballon dor

K

Karnivore

Arsenal were a spent force by then, and a major over-reliance started to befall upon Fabregas's shoulders. Between 2003 and 2006 - Henry was probably the best player in the world, absoloute genius, robbed of the Ballon d'Or in 2003 and 2004, don't care how good Nedved and Sheva were, they were not even in the same class as Henry. Arsenal went unbeaten and he was the driving force behind it, and he was still the best player in the league even when we won back to back titles. Arsenal went on a massive decline, Henry guided them to the Champions League final then picked up injuries the following year, and he soon left for Barcelona, which just so happened to coincide with Ronaldo developing into the Premierships best player.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I don't know about individual quality but in terms of impact, I don't see much difference between Ronaldo at Madrid vs Henry at Arsenal.

89Norcal

I don't know about individual quality but in terms of impact, I don't see much difference between Ronaldo at Madrid vs Henry at Arsenal.

Henry scored far more solo goals. He was often the difference for Arsenal at least in English fixtures like EPL, FA Cup.

And I agree he deserved to win a Balon d'or. I always wondered if his attitude had something to do with it. He rivaled Ronaldo in terms of arrogance, probably even worse.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
You don't need to see a balon d'or by his name to recognise Henry's greatness, the award is fastly becoming more & more awful by the year. I'm pretty sure everybody recognises Henry's greatness with his time at Arsenal.

Still Sheva :wub: i am glad he won it, because my damn he was the man back then.

footyfan

Calma, calma
hmm but scoring solo goals is just one facet of making an impact. Ronaldo has also proved the difference on numerous times for Real Madrid.

I'm not gonna argue about the Ballon D'Or because I did not watch Nedved play to comment on whether he was better or not. Shevchenko probably was lucky to win but at that point in time, he was my favorite striker so I couldn't have cared less. He was a great striker in his own regard and he also saved Milan quite a few times.

Home of Barca Fans