Thiago Alcantara

Joan

Barcelona are studying the option to sign Thiago this summer. His pricetag could become problematic, however. The midfielder’s price could exceed €50m. [sport]

Random rumor, but if true, what do they think? They'll sign Thiago for 30/40m? We paid 40 for Paulinho and will pay a similar amount for Arthur. How's Thiago's price a problem?

Nothanks

paulinho accepts the bench would thiago?

we can use this logic with a lot of different applications but the situation isn't the same

IF we continue using 4-4-2
one of rakitic or thiago will be sat out, assuming busquets is un-dropable, then when arthur comes we have 3 super stars (busquets/rakitic/thiago) fighting for 2 spots and 1 new signing (arthur) not getting minutes + paulinho hanging around AND you can forget about alena in CM role

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
paulinho accepts the bench would thiago?

we can use this logic with a lot of different applications but the situation isn't the same

IF we continue using 4-4-2
one of rakitic or thiago will be sat out, assuming busquets is un-dropable, then when arthur comes we have 3 super stars (busquets/rakitic/thiago) fighting for 2 spots and 1 new signing (arthur) not getting minutes + paulinho hanging around AND you can forget about alena in CM role

That's even worse.

We paid 40m for a bench option, but won't pay more than 50m for a starter?

:lol:

If Thiago and Griezmann come I bet we'll go back to a 4-3-3 without Coutinho in the midfield as an AM

Nothanks

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]
we paid 40m for someone who wouldn't cause problems to the squad in terms of minutes instead of paying 50m+ for someone who would screw the whole dynamics (who left us because of this very same problem) how can you not see the difference.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

That's even worse.

We paid 40m for a bench option, but won't pay more than 50m for a starter?

:lol:

The prices are not linked.

It is possible to think 40m for Paulinho is too much and still think paying 50-60m for Thiago is a risk... based on his injury record and/or taking into account other players in team.

Joan

we paid 40m for someone who wouldn't cause problems to the squad in terms of minutes instead of paying 50m+ for someone who would screw the whole dynamics (who left us because of this very same problem) how can you not see the difference.

Won't be available for the best part of the season anyways. :lol:

JamDav1982

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]

Are you referring to Thiagos injuries as causing problems?

DonAK

I don't see how a player type that we need and is quality will have a negative effect on the whole dynamics.

We need a midfielder that can create from deep and go back to a different system with Griezmann signed as the 442 will not suit him as a RM.

Is Rakitic that kind of a midfielder? No. Aleña? No. Paulinho? No. Arthur? Maybe, but comes in January and we need quality now.

Also, we paid 40m for a 29 year old bench option that had failed in Europe before.

If someone gets unhappy(Rakitic), then play better.

So there's your difference.

The prices are not linked.

It is possible to think 40m for Paulinho is too much and still think paying 50-60m for Thiago is a risk... based on his injury record and/or taking into account other players in team.

Except MD/Sport are claiming they don't want to pay more than 40/50m because he left years ago. No mention of any injury concerns.

Last edited:

Nothanks

I personally like thiago and don't think his injury problem would be a big concern, it's just a matter of how and where he would fit
i know a 4-3-3 would make every thing easier but i don't see valverde all of a sudden switching his 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 formation he used 95% of all this season just to accommodate thiago

if thiago comes, one (or maybe both) rakitic and paulinho have to go ALONG with gomes and rafinha.. which is very unlikely especially with iniesta gone that'd be getting rid of the whole midfield dynamics and build up of chemistry with a whole new midfield minus busquets

we also have arthur coming in and are attempting to fit in several B team members into the first team (alena etc.)

MIND you thiago left us because of lack of minutes so i very much doubt he'll accept rotation and will expect the super star treatment.
like i said, i really like him but i see one too many problems with this transfer given our manager and current squad.

DonAK

But Griezmann in a 442 makes no sense either [MENTION=22244]Nothanks[/MENTION]

He doesn't have the rapid pace or isn't the type to stretch the field which will be needed in a 442 at the RM. Suarez won't get benched.

And we don't have the players for a 4231 and Busquets being slow in a double pivot and not as aggressive as the usual DMs in such tactics is an issue too.

It makes the most sense for Valverde to go back to three midfielders.

Nothanks

look man, i'm not saying the tactics are the greatest but valverde is our manager and he seems like the stubborn type of guy that would force griezmann to work in a 4-4-2 (considering griezmann is a board purchase and not manager one)

just logistically i see this whole thing problematic

Joan

If we play 4-4-2 and you assume he'll play only as a pivot (I can see him on the right or more advanced too), we'd have 3 players for 2 spots.

At the beginning of the season Valverde played Paulinho behind the strikers where he excelled.

Moved him deeper since we didn't have a player to rest the starters.

Rakitć, Busquets, Thiago sharing minutes is not a problem at all. Especially considering his injury history.

Home of Barca Fans