Thiago Alcantara

Temptation

He's a top class midfielder, but I wouldn't call him a difference-maker at Liverpool. Plays his part well, but Klopp's system was working before him and would work without him just as well.

He was brought in to help us when the opponents park the bus and we're struggling to break them down.

He was a luxury signing. Cherry on the top kind.

I'd say at that amount a very shrewd signing.

Never hurts to add more quality to a top team.

That?s one way of looking at it. Whilst I agree he could have been given more chances and we should have made sure no buyout clause is triggered are we forgetting who was ahead of him at the time? Not to mention he was 20-21 so should expect to have to really impress to oust those who were picked ahead of him.

The buyout clause could also be a way of testing his loyalty. He shouldn?t want to leave at all. Forget what his buyout clause is, this is the club who raised him and he?s on the precipice of reaching the first team, first opportunity and he leaves.

Would have got plenty of game time over the next two seasons had he stayed and had he been injury free.

In the first one/two years it is fine when a youngster does not get enough playing time and has a reserve role - in that time he usually learns a lot in training, too - and he might still get playtime with the U23. But Thiago was in an age he needed the time to play for his development. If you e.g. looked at Kroos who is about the age of him in 2013 Kroos already had a lot more playing time than Thiago had - partly because of injuries, but a lot due to warming the bench. At that time there was not just Xavi and Iniesta - but Fabregas, too. And when Thiago left there was no change of coach in sight that might have promised more match time.

The most important for a player that age should not be the love to a club but his development (ok, some decide for money...)

JamDav1982

Didnt have the money at time and was reported Barca asked him to wait and put feelers out to his environment and he wanted to play in EPL not for Barca anyway.

Spain/Barca are not the dream destination as much as Laporta and Xavi will claim still are.

Zidane82

He's a top class midfielder, but I wouldn't call him a difference-maker at Liverpool. Plays his part well, but Klopp's system was working before him and would work without him just as well.

Have you seen Liverpool recently ?

Thiago was bought by Klopp to be the playmaker.. but he got crocked by a terrible tackle and was out injured for a while .. then he contracted Covid .
He is playing fabulously well now and he got perfect scores for the game against United

Home of Barca Fans