Tennis

delancey

i still cannot get over the fact that Djokovic has 24 Grand Slam titles, superior to both Nadal (22) and Federer (20). When Federer got his 20th, I was almost certain that we’d have to wait a long time before seeing such superior dominance again, but Djokovic has just managed to completely dominate the Grand Slams. 24 GS is incredible.

When Sampras retired I was certain that we’d have to wait a long time until someone beat his record of 16 Grand Slams, yet it didn’t take long for Federer to beat it. In a way it’s kind of sad that these greats are getting older (or retired), for one wonders who will replace them? I mean…how Djokovic, at his age, can dominate the Slams doesn’t bode well for the next generation of players. Perhaps we’ll enter into the a period of darkness for a while. 🫣

Are we entering into a phase in which the quality of players is similar to Todd Martin, Chang, etc? :lol:

Djokovic is 36! He shouldn’t be dominating like this. :lol:

Nadal has been out since January due to injury. His greatest weakness was always being prone to injury; otherwise he may have been the GOAT.

I miss Pat Rafter. I always enjoyed his serve and volley game as a child. Or him saying “Sorry mate (mite)” when needing a second shot at his serve. :lol:

Imagine McEnroe’s temper in today’s game. He’d have been disqualified from all the major tournaments. Haha

Horatio

You're welcome
i still cannot get over the fact that Djokovic has 24 Grand Slam titles, superior to both Nadal (22) and Federer (20). When Federer got his 20th, I was almost certain that we’d have to wait a long time before seeing such superior dominance again, but Djokovic has just managed to completely dominate the Grand Slams. 24 GS is incredible.
General consensus is even among the pundits is that opposition is weak.

KingLeo10

Nadal faced the toughest competition of the 3:

He has played 18 of his 30 GS finals (60%) against Federer or Djokovic. And managed to be 11-7 (6-3 v Federer and 5-4 v Djokovic) in these 18 finals. When he was entering his prime, Federer was the undisputed best player in the world and already a GOAT tier. Then towards the latter half of his prime, he dealt with prime Djokovic.

Djokovic and Federer faced rough similar competition. Federer collected a bunch of GS in the 04-07 era where Nadal was only a dominant force on clay (and somewhat on grass). Djokovic had 12 GS until 2018, and has added 12 more in the last 5 years when Fed was basically not in the picture and Nadal is only dominant on clay and to a lesser extent slow hard court. Nadal is no match for Djokovic in hard courts right now, and hasn't been since he stepped out of his physical prime around 2013 or 2014.

However, all things and the volume of records considered, Djokovic is still probably the greatest of the 3 GOATs but it's not by a huge margin or undisputed by any means (as of now, at least. If he gets to 30 GS, it's hard to argue against undisputed).

Gnidrologist

Every sport in current times seem to degenerate so less and less great athletes and personalities emerge. The zoomer transperson snowflake generation will be even worse. Soon there will be times, where men and women really can compete in the same competition, because of how weak and helpless men will have become. The BBZ paradise.

Home of Barca Fans