Steven Gerrard

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Would like to know how highly you rate Didier Deschamps as a manager in today's day and age.....

he is crap, having that squad and playing trash football :facepalm:

Argentinia in 2022 with a weaker squad played way more beautiful than this guy ever played

the only reason why he won in 2018 was because his team was waaay better than the other teams

soul24rage

You're listing his achievements mate. I know all of this very well.

Answer my question. How highly do you rate him in 2024 and would you like him as the next Barca(insert any big club) manager?
Well he did reached the CL final as a Monaco coach and won the ligue 1 with a non-PSG/Lyon side

So yes, I do rate him high. Wouldn't take him at Barca though as he doesn't have Barca DNA, but he would do well at a club like Chelsea.

Temptation

he is crap, having that squad and playing trash football :facepalm:

Argentinia in 2022 with a weaker squad played way more beautiful than this guy ever played

the only reason why he won in 2018 was because his team was waaay better than the other teams
Belgium had a better team on paper in 2018.

Hazard and KDB at their peaks.

Lukaku at his very best. Peak Mertens. Immense bench.

Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Kompany at their peaks.

Prime Witsel. The best hoofball plan B option in Fellaini.

Courtois.

List goes on really.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Belgium had a better team on paper in 2018.

Hazard and KDB at their peaks.

Lukaku at his very best. Peak Mertens. Immense bench.

Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Kompany at their peaks.

Prime Witsel. The best hoofball plan B option in Fellaini.

Courtois.

List goes on really.

Belgium would have beaten France but they were tired

Kdb was waay weaker against France than against Brazil where he played worldclass

only player who was unstoppable was Hazard but he alone wasnt enough

im sure if Belgium or even Croatia would have played with 100% they would beaten France who could easily rotate during the tournament because of their depth

In all the years he has won with that squad only 1 WC, yeah reached EURO/WC finals but he should have won more, at least one more EURO imo

Temptation

Belgium would have beaten France but they were tired

Kdb was waay weaker against France than against Brazil where he played worldclass

only player who was unstoppable was Hazard but he alone wasnt enough

im sure if Belgium or even Croatia would have played with 100% they would beaten France who could easily rotate during the tournament because of their depth

In all the years he has won with that squad only 1 WC, yeah reached EURO/WC finals but he should have won more, at least one more EURO imo
Anyways, my point is that club and International Football requires vastly differing skillsets in order to succeed.

Hence, it's wise to wait and watch Scaloni replicate his success at club level before labelling him as the best thing since sliced bread!

I am not saying you and Soul are incorrect on your assessment of Scaloni's managerial ability but we'll need to wait and watch him at the highest level of Club Football before we can christen him as an elite Tier 1 manager in World Football.

So far, he has done a splendid job with the Argentine NT and no, it's not some lucky, apotropaic contribution that he has had. He's one of the primary reasons Argentina are so bloody good these days. Respect him for that.

khaled_a_d

I know he wasn't a midfielder and this is another discussion, but for some reason it seems like Beckham is the one who has gotten underrated over the years.

What? Beckham was right midfielder and then played as Central midfielder. A bit like Gerrard (iirc he also started at the right side early on)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What? Beckham was right midfielder and then played as Central midfielder. A bit like Gerrard (iirc he also started at the right side early on)

He wasn't really a traditional midfielder. Played mostly wide. Could say wide midfielder, could say classic/traditional winger.

khaled_a_d

He wasn't really a traditional midfielder. Played mostly wide. Could say wide midfielder, could say classic/traditional winger.

Those classic/traditional wingers were midfielders though. Not attackers. It is like saying Koke isn't midfielder because he played as RM for Atletico for prolonged time.
And Beckham moved centrally a good part of his career too.

Home of Barca Fans